• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

38 minutes ago, floplag said:

If true, why hasnt he accepted it?  Sure could be from a team he doesnt want to play for but if the money is whats holding it up why would anyone change tack now?  AS said well see it just doesnt line up for me logically to assume that to be the case.

I don’t know why they haven’t signed yet, but maybe he believes he is worth more than he has been offered based on recent free agent signings.  Maybe he believes the headlines that said he would get $160 million this off season.  Maybe he wants someone else to sign to set the market for his value.  Or maybe it is as simple as he wants an offer from a specific team or region.  I guess logically for me it is easier to assume those things than every single team at the exact same time deciding to change the price structure of free agency.  At this point, they are all probably waiting on one of them signing to set the market for the rest.  If a guy like Cobb or Lynn get $15-17 million then Darvish is worth way more per season.  

3 hours ago, floplag said:

30 mil per team... and one guy wants 20?   Whose point where you trying to prove cause you just made mine? 

I guess you just ignore the $28 billion dollar increase in equity?

When a player hits free agency for the first time, they played the last 6 yrs typically not making anywhere close to $20m per year.  Yet the owner made 30m a year in profit and another 1 billion in equity gain, increasing his net worth $1,150,000,000 over the last five years.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I don’t know why they haven’t signed yet, but maybe he believes he is worth more than he has been offered based on recent free agent signings.  Maybe he believes the headlines that said he would get $160 million this off season.  Maybe he wants someone else to sign to set the market for his value.  Or maybe it is as simple as he wants an offer from a specific team or region.  I guess logically for me it is easier to assume those things than every single team at the exact same time deciding to change the price structure of free agency.  At this point, they are all probably waiting on one of them signing to set the market for the rest.  If a guy like Cobb or Lynn get $15-17 million then Darvish is worth way more per season.  

And if a guy like Cobb signs for less?  i mean i wouldnt pay him 17, no way no how 

I don’t think it takes all 30 teams talking to each other in order for the market to halt.  The market is meant to play off of other offers from other teams.  There are enough teams who have learned their lesson and just aren’t offering what they used to. 

15 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I guess you just ignore the $28 billion dollar increase in equity?

When a player hits free agency for the first time, they played the last 6 yrs typically not making anywhere close to $20m per year.  Yet the owner made 30m a year in profit and another 1 billion in equity gain, increasing his net worth $1,150,000,000 over the last five years.

Equity isnt the issue, you yourself said 30 mil in profit, and you want to give 2/3 of that to one guy, so much for the profit after you fill the bullpen.  do that a couple times and that equity goes south.  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

Equity isnt the issue, you yourself said 30 mil in profit, and you want to give 2/3 of that to one guy, so much for the profit after you fill the bullpen.  do that a couple times and that equity goes south.  

The 30m is after they account for salary expense, not before.

And it would be close to impossible for an owner to go broke even if they "lost" 30m a year.  But not sure you are willing to understand that.

11 minutes ago, floplag said:

And if a guy like Cobb signs for less?  i mean i wouldnt pay him 17, no way no how 

Then Darvish probably still gets $20 plus million a year. Tyler Chatwood got $13 million.  Wade Davis got over $17 million.  Darvish is waiting for the right contract more than likely. Or like I’ve previously said waiting for someone to set the market. 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

He both quoted the per annum profit and total equity...  Because you want to focus on one doesn't mean he didn't base his position on both and the equity plays big in the conversation. 

2 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

The 30m is after they account for salary expense, not before.

And it would be close to impossible for an owner to go broke even if they "lost" 30m a year.  But not sure you are willing to understand that.

obviously, but your still talking about giving 2/3 of that to one guy, one.  They wouldnt go broke if you have 100, thats not the point .   

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Then Darvish probably still gets $20 plus million a year. Tyler Chatwood got $13 million.  Wade Davis got over $17 million.  Darvish is waiting for the right contract more than likely. Or like I’ve previously said waiting for someone to set the market. 

so no matter what else anyone gets hes still getting 20, then why make the comparison at all?  
Theres nothing anyone going to say in your mind its an absolute .  you may end up right, but i wouldnt do it.  somehow that makes me wrong i guess.  

23 hours ago, ettin said:

Ian still plays really good defense at 2B. Even in Howie's last year with the Angels his defense was, at best, slightly above average perhaps.

I don't like Kinsler either but he is ours now and he does take care of his business at 2B.

My concern is that we now have the oldest right side infield in MLB.

21 hours ago, floplag said:

30 mil per team... and one guy wants 20?   Whose point where you trying to prove cause you just made mine? 

Suppose each team isn't getting $30M - more like the Dodgers, Yankees...etc. are making $50M+ each and teams like the Pirates, Rays...etc. are making $5M+ each. 

What this points to is the big teams are getting richer and they are the ones who dole out the $20M+ per year contracts and they are being more hesitant now and possibly are colluding between themselves.

If the big teams drive down player salaries they stand to stash more in their profit pockets.

1 hour ago, ksangel said:

Suppose each team isn't getting $30M - more like the Dodgers, Yankees...etc. are making $50M+ each and teams like the Pirates, Rays...etc. are making $5M+ each. 

What this points to is the big teams are getting richer and they are the ones who dole out the $20M+ per year contracts and they are being more hesitant now and possibly are colluding between themselves.

If the big teams drive down player salaries they stand to stash more in their profit pockets.

Im not saying your wrong, but I bet if you could see a list of real profit margins the team ordering would surprise you.

19 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Im not saying your wrong, but I bet if you could see a list of real profit margins the team ordering would surprise you.

Funny you should mention that, this popped up in the baseball subreddit:
DUQ_FZtUQAAfCgM.jpg:large

Granted, these numbers are old, and don't account for non-payroll expenses. But, It kinda gives you a feel for who ACTUALLY theoretically has money to spend, and who is just poor (...poor Marlins...).

3 minutes ago, krAbs said:

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/01/brewers-to-acquire-christian-yelich.html

Yelich to the Brewers. They appear to be giving up their #1 prospect (high ranking outfielder - #13 overall per mlb.com) and a top 10 prospect infielder. Maybe more to follow.

Yup, they got a pretty good return.  It would have been hard for us to willingly compete with that deal.  We could have, but I wouldn't want to have to give up all that talent.