• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

2 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Giants are going for it.  They've added Longoria and McCutchen.  They aren't on par with the Dodgers, but if they can sneak in as a WC, they can Madison Bumgarner their way through the NL playoffs, lol.

You can also say the dodgers  haven’t gotten any better and they lost a key bullpen piece in Morrow. 

3 minutes ago, nando714 said:

You can also say the dodgers  haven’t gotten any better and they lost a key bullpen piece in Morrow. 

Dodgers won 104 games.  They could probably regress a solid 10 games and still win their division fairly easily.  They only lost one player from their championship team.  Morrow was important, but they have a knack for finding guys like that on the cheap.  I liked their acquisition of Alexander - sneaky good move.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

But do Longoria and McCutchen improve enough a team amongst MLB's worst in 2017? 

If any team can make that group of vets work and contend, it's the even-year Giants. Pretty perplexing though. I'm guessing they've decided their farm isn't good enough to contend now or short-term, they don't have enough to sell off and rebuild the farm, so they're scorch-earthing it, hoping the vets make the team interesting short-term while they start rebuilding the farm, and look to sell off vet pieces for scraps midseason to contenders periodically.

Longoria isn't going to make them any better than last year. Run scoring was their biggest issue (29th mlb runs scored), they had a 99 OPS+ out of their 3B last year while Longoria had an even 100.

And McCutchen isn't filling a giant hole either, he is essentially replacing Denard Span who again, had a 100 OPS+ to McCutchen's 121. It's a modest improvement, but those two players aren't getting them much over last year.

18 minutes ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

Longoria isn't going to make them any better than last year. Run scoring was their biggest issue (29th mlb runs scored), they had a 99 OPS+ out of their 3B last year while Longoria had an even 100.

And McCutchen isn't filling a giant hole either, he is essentially replacing Denard Span who again, had a 100 OPS+ to McCutchen's 121. It's a modest improvement, but those two players aren't getting them much over last year.

Do you actually think they are as bad as they were last year?  

I think the Giants are taking their extra $50M in the BAMTech sale and are trying to buy their way into the post-season in 2018. Wouldn't be surprised to see them pick up another star type player with one year of control left. They might gut most of their remaining system to do this too (and there ain't much left!).

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Do you actually think they are as bad as they were last year?  

Longoria might rebound a little bit to a 110 OPS+ at most (especially moving to the Giants park), but he's not getting back to 120+ imo.

McCutchen I think will repeat what he did last year.

Both of these guys are on the wrong side of 30, I don't think they'll be anywhere near the top of their positions anymore.

Has anyone signed (over-paid) for Darvish yet?

Back to the Dodgers?

Unless his signing demand drops way down (and if that happens, Dodgers re-sign him before it gets too low) Hope Halos stay far away.

Even when he was the proclaimed (not sure by who) 'cream of the crop' of last year's trade deadline starters -- I wasn't sold on the guy and am still not.

The W/S performances weren't exactly a surprise to some (like me and others here I 'm sure).

2 hours ago, Make Angels Great Again said:

So youre saying that Longorio and McCutcheon wont help them more than Pablo Sandoval and Jarret Parker and Gorkys Hernandez?  really?  

11 minutes ago, Blarg said:

There are still 145 players listed as free agents still on the market in mid January. Only 7 of the top 20 ranked players have signed and not one for more than three years.

In a few weeks, some players are going to have to sign if they want to play in 2018. Pitchers can wait, but the other folks, especially Moustakas, Hosmer, Martinez, and Cain, are going to have to take shorter term deals in order to find a spot.

LoMo, Frazier, Walker, etc. are all going to need to take shorter deals than they planned, I'm sure.

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

While I agree, there’s a chance they’ll be sued for collusion.  

That’s tough to prove. The owners are finally putting their foot down on those ridiculous Boras type contract demands. I thought Upton was very fortunate to get his new deal. He could still be sitting and waiting with Mouse and Hosmer had he gone shopping.