• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Official 2017-2018 Hot Stove Thread

greginpsca

Royals GM Dayton Moore suggests to Dodd that the Royals have to at least be open-minded to virtually any trade scenario: “If somebody blows your doors off on something, you always have to look at it.” 

That, according to Rosenthal, could even include controllable pieces like Whit Merrifield, who broke out with a .288/.324/.460 slash and an AL-leading 34 stolen bases last season.

Under club control for the next FIVE years, two of those at the minimum. Entering his age 29 season, so we’d get ages 29-33. He plays good defense at second, steals bases, hits for decent power, and gets on base just enough. 

I wonder what the cost would be

6 minutes ago, vladdy#27 said:

Under club control for the next FIVE years, two of those at the minimum. Entering his age 29 season, so we’d get ages 29-33. He plays good defense at second, steals bases, hits for decent power, and gets on base just enough. 

I wonder what the cost would be

I wouldn't mind taking Merrifield and Duffy off their hands.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/12/cardinals-nearing-multi-year-deal-with-miles-mikolas.html

Cardinals nearing a deal with Miles Mikolas...he was someone I would have liked Eppler to pursue, pre-Ohtani. 

In last three years in NPB, he has a 2.18 ERA as a starter.

Wow, a bit more than I would have expected.

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 2m2 minutes ag
Source: #STLCards have signed free-agent RHP Miles Mikolas to two-year contract in $14M to $16M range. First to report deal: @JeffPassan.

Lots of implications here for Ohtani and Stanton..

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 3m3 minutes ago
#Rangers were among many teams on Mikolas, per source. Wanted him in addition to Minor, whom they are in agreement with, and Ohtani, whom they are pursuing. Idea was to build six-man rotation, as @Evan_P_Grant mentioned today. Still could happen if they add another SP.

Chris CotilloVerified account @ChrisCotillo 9m9 minutes ago
Cardinals now have added flexibility to deal from group of SPs (Wacha, Weaver, Flaherty, Reyes) as they look to land a big bat...whether that be Stanton or someone else.

Minor would had been a decent get!

There is still hope for Miller!..... (Maybe, a pipe dream)

Bullpen balance and overall roster depth has never been thought of very highly around our FO's... Same as the bench! Our FO's historically won't build a bench (which is also interesting the one season we had everything "Good-Decent 5+ inning rotation, solid pen "which became excellent when K-Rod came up", and good bench sprinkled with youth and vets" we won in 02') which is why whenever someone got hurt, slumped, or went on a bender we've been pretty much toast!... And a little Luck...Thanks Dusty!

I'm hopeful on EPPY based on his experience in NY....I believe he can build a good roster if he is allowed the financial flexibility.

24 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Lots of implications here for Ohtani and Stanton..

Ken RosenthalVerified account @Ken_Rosenthal 3m3 minutes ago
#Rangers were among many teams on Mikolas, per source. Wanted him in addition to Minor, whom they are in agreement with, and Ohtani, whom they are pursuing. Idea was to build six-man rotation, as @Evan_P_Grant mentioned today. Still could happen if they add another SP.

Chris CotilloVerified account @ChrisCotillo 9m9 minutes ago
Cardinals now have added flexibility to deal from group of SPs (Wacha, Weaver, Flaherty, Reyes) as they look to land a big bat...whether that be Stanton or someone else.

Both of these names have been rumored to be a part of a Stanton deal with the Marlins....

4 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

Definitely.  Losing the 2nd round draft pick would hurt, but in some ways, it's been mitigated by signing Maitan, as signing him is essentially akin to having a high draft pick.  

Yup - we can survive the loss now. Especially if we somehow wrench away Ohtani too.

Santana's steadiness would do wonders for our offense I think. Aside from Trout this team is streaky as fuck. Even Upton, whom I'm a big fan of, has been notoriously hot and cold in his past. And I still think having guys like Upton and Santana (and even a guy like Walker who has been steady when on the field) would go a long way to helping keep the streaky guys like Calhoun, Valbuena, and Pujols from over-pressuring themselves and falling into ice cold spells. A good, balanced lineup helps everyone else produce.