• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Expansion and Realignment

red321

• 6 months later...
On October 25, 2017 at 2:18 AM, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

They have already picked a spot in Oakland and are in the process of doing the environment impact study. The funding has been approved and are supposed to be ready to play in about 3 or 4 years if I remember correctly.

Update?

The A's situation is a complete farce... 

That ownership group has milked the fans' good will for a long time.   They don't spend on the team despite having bigger pockets than Arte, and they have done very little to grow their brand -- they cry about a stadium but have yet to really show they are willing to put some skin in the game IMO..  The A's are easily the most storied franchise in the AL West, they have a history that goes back to the Ruth era when over a three year span they dominated the AL and the Yankees.  The fact that their ownership is content with them fielding a competitive team only long enough to tear it down is pathetic.

If MLB ever did allow a team to go to LV I hope it's the A's.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Just now, mtangelsfan said:

Both Florida teams need to go.  I can't see them adding new ones when they are both floundering so badly.

Tampa is one thing. But MLB can't let Miami go, even if they legally can, which is really hazy. If MLB lets the Marlins move while leaving the folks who paid over a billion for that ballpark hang, they'd never get a city to build a new one again. It would ruin their (and other sports) credibility. 

2 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

Both Florida teams need to go.  I can't see them adding new ones when they are both floundering so badly.

This is where I think realignment gets a little tricky.  The Marlins won't draw -- a combination of the local economy/demographics and the amount of bad blood that organization has created.   The Rays...  That stadium is absolute garbage...  But there is precious little that argues they would draw well in a better stadium.

You're 100% correct IMO, and both those teams would be better served by being allowed to go elsewhere.

Edited by Inside Pitch

Just now, Thomas said:

Tampa is one thing. But MLB can't let Miami go, even if they legally can, which is really hazy. If MLB lets the Marlins move while leaving the folks who paid over a billion for that ballpark hang, they'd never get a city to build a new one again. It would ruin their (and other sports) credibility. 

It is a fair point, they just don't draw fans.

Just now, mtangelsfan said:

I hope they do build a new stadium in Oakland.  

Its legit BS they haven't.   The ownership there reminds me of Carl Pohlad in Minnesota.  Dude was the richest owner in MLB for most of his tenure and yet he allowed the team to waste away where they couldn't draw stick figures then blamed the community and the ballpark.

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Its legit BS they haven't.   The ownership there reminds me of Carl Pohlad in Minnesota.  Dude was the richest owner in MLB for most of his tenure and yet he allowed the team to waste away where they couldn't draw stick figures then blamed the community and the ballpark.

Oakland has faced some legitimate obstacles. Some were self inflicted but some weren't. But now with the Raiders leaving town and the Warriors moving across the bay leaving the current stadium site solely to them, there is no excuse to not get something done.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

I cant really disclose but i can tell you they are working on it. I run the liability insurance for most stadiums and cities in California and negotiations generally boil down to board approvals based on premiums generated for insuring exposures like that. I just finished up the 49ers stadium a couple of years ago and that took over 3 years to get coverage for.

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Oakland has faced some legitimate obstacles. Some were self inflicted but some weren't. But now with the Raiders leaving town and the Warriors moving across the bay leaving the current stadium site solely to them, there is no excuse to not get something done.

Obstacles no doubt -- but we are talking about two guys in Wolff and Fisher that have nearly twice the net worth of Arte, if not more than that.    They have the resources to invest into that team and make it all that much more valuable..  They just haven't, instead they have whined about the Stadium situation.

8 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I cant really disclose but i can tell you they are working on it. I run the liability insurance for most stadiums and cities in California and negotiations generally boil down to board approvals based on premiums generated for insuring exposures like that. I just finished up the 49ers stadium a couple of years ago and that took over 3 years to get coverage for.

I genuinely hope something happens.  The A's are a legacy franchise IMO.  I miss the days when they were the big evil in the AL west and matchup's with the A's felt epic.   Lord knows the two teams have played each other tough over the years, imagine what it would be like if that ownership group was making a legit effort...  Much like the Astros have made the Angels elevate their game, a healthy A's team would make it all that much more of challenge.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Obstacles no doubt -- but we are talking about two guys in Wolff and Fisher that have nearly twice the net worth of Arte, if not more than that.    They have the resources to invest into that team and make it all that much more valuable..  They just haven't, instead they have whined about the Stadium situation.

I genuinely hope something happens.  The A's are a legacy franchise IMO.  I miss the days when they were the big evil in the AL west and matchup's with the A's felt epic.   Lord knows the two teams have played each other tough over the years, imagine what it would be like if that ownership group was making a legit effort...  Much like the Astros have made the Angels elevate their game, a healthy A's team would make it all that much more of challenge.

You would be surprised in that its not generally the owners who are the issue. It all basically rolls downhill. The City/County in which the stadium is located is normally the responsible party for the coverage. If its a private entity who owns the stadium then they have to find coverage either on the open market or through a City/County agreement. All of these options have to be approved by separate boards who all have individual concerns. The funds are then generated through a combination of tax payer money and private investment. It gets disgustingly more complicated than an owner not wanting to build a stadium.

8 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

You would be surprised in that its not generally the owners who are the issue. It all basically rolls downhill. The City/County in which the stadium is located is normally the responsible party for the coverage. If its a private entity who owns the stadium then they have to find coverage either on the open market or through a City/County agreement. All of these options have to be approved by separate boards who all have individual concerns. The funds are then generated through a combination of tax payer money and private investment. It gets disgustingly more complicated than an owner not wanting to build a stadium.

I'm clearly not making myself clear... 

For me it's been less about them not wanting to BUILD a stadium -- I think the issue would have more easily taken care of itself had they just invested in the team, made it more profitable and increased local revenues to where there was more pressure on the bureaucrats to make it happen.   Given how little cities do actually get out of owning a stadium (at least that's the story these days), the only way to win that war is to win over public opinion and force their hands a bit.

Again....  IMO the ownership has been all too willing to blame the stadium and everything else while at the same time allowing good teams to be torn apart because of supposedly financial limitations.   Just once I would have loved for them to have made a legit effort to grow their business and tap into that team's amazing legacy. 

Edited by Inside Pitch

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm clearly not making myself clear... 

For me it's been less about them not wanting to BUILD a stadium -- I think the issue would have more easily taken care of itself had they just invested in the team, made it more profitable and increased local revenues to where there was more pressure on the bureaucrats to make it happen.

Again....  IMO the ownership has been all too willing to blame the stadium and everything else while at the same time allowing good teams to be torn apart because of supposedly financial limitations.   Just once I would have loved for them to have made a legit effort to grow their business and tap into that team's amazing legacy. 

I completely agree. I hate owners that just use teams as investments. Those are generally the worst owners in each respective league. They typically just look to turn a profit and at the end of the day investing in a stadium isn't worth blowing the budget so they blame the City for not lowering the cost. Whoever blinks first will be seen as having lost. Generally speaking, a billionaires ego is unbreakable so they are seen as the "bad guy".

So, how will MLB putting a team in, let's say Las Vegas, alter the realignment plan? Hopefully,  they'll put the team in the AL West. I suggest the move the Astros to the NL West 

what do you guys think? 

On 10/17/2017 at 5:24 PM, SuperTroopers said:

Do you ever get tired of being that guy?  You are your old self, the one that got a time out because you litter every thread with your anti Angel bullshit.  Go find a Yankees board that you can jack off on all day and night.  

Come on dude....this one was actually pretty funny.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

As far as adding teams and realignment goes...   https://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Radical_Realignment   always found the groupings in the original proposal a bit off.  Adding a team on each coast would really make for a better all around grouping of teams.

Sometime soon I will write up my ideas for realignment. I think you will like it.

AL WEST

Angels

A’s

Mariners

Portland         

AL CENTRAL

Twins

Indians

Tigers

White Sox

AL SOUTH

Rangers

Astros

Rockies

Royals

AL EAST

Yankees

Red Sox

Orioles

Blue Jays

NL WEST

Dodgers

Giants

Padres

Diamondbacks

NL CENTRAL

Reds

Cubs

Cardinals

Brewers

NL SOUTH

Braves

Marlins

Rays

Nationals

NL EAST

Mets

Phillies

Montreal

SCHEDULE

Each Team plays the other three teams in their division 6 regular season series each, for a total of 18 games. That's 54 games versus division opponents. They play the other three divisions in their leagues one home and away series each, for a total of 72 games. They play two divisions interleague, always against the "Rival" Division (AL West vs. NL West), but only one series against each team, for 12 games against each Rival Division every year. Alternating years in each park. They play home and away against one other interleague division, for a total of 36 interleague games. DH is used for all interleague games and both teams are allowed one extra call-up for AL vs. NL games.

Furthermore, schedule will be balanced so that every team plays the same opponent from same division at the same time. Meaning that when the games are interdivision, all four teams are playing interdivision. When a division plays a division, all teams play that division, whether home or away. That way the West and East Coast teams only travel to opposite coasts twice a year. Same for interleague play, which will now be played in May, June, July, and August only.

PLAYOFFS

Wild Card Round

4 Division Winners Make Playoffs, Top Two get a Bye, Two Wild Cards face lower two division seeds in 5 game series. No Days Off. Starts Two Days after Season ends. All Four Series have same schedule. 2-2-1. (To Reduce Travel). Games are played simultaneously.

Division Round

One Off Day between Rounds. Winners of Wild Card Round face Two top seeds. 1 seed vs lower seeded winner. 2 seed versus higher seeded winner. 5 Game series, No Days off. 2-2-1 (To Reduce Travel). Games are played simultaneously

Championship Round

One Off day between Rounds. Winners of Division Round face each other 7 game series. One Off Day in Series between Games 4-5.

World Series

Same as it is now.