• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Matt Thaiss in the AFL

Chuck

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Isn't he a rule 5 guy this offseason?

Drafted in 2014 -- so, I don't believe so...

Selection eligibility

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

• were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or
  • were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft upcoming.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Isn't he a rule 5 guy this offseason?

3 hours ago, totdprods said:

He might be. It's been so long since we had prospects I was worried about losing I've forgotten the eligibility haha.

Selection eligibility

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

• were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or
  • were 19 or older on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fourth Rule 5 draft upcoming.

Houchins was drafted in 2014. He was older than 19 at that time so he falls under the 2nd bullet. So this should be the fourth Rule 5 upcoming (2014, 2015, 2016, and now 2017) so if I am interpreting this correctly, yes Houchins is currently Rule 5 qualified unless the Angels add him to their 40-man by whatever the date is in mid/late November.

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Drafted in 2014 -- so, I don't believe so...

Selection eligibility

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

• were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or

1 minute ago, ettin said:

Selection eligibility

Players are eligible for selection in the Rule 5 draft who are not on their major league organization's 40-man roster and:

• were 18 or younger on the June 5 preceding their signing and this is the fifth Rule 5 draft upcoming; or

Houchins was drafted in 2014. He was older than 19 at that time so he falls under the 2nd bullet. So this should be the fourth Rule 5 upcoming (2014, 2015, 2016, and now 2017) so if I am interpreting this correctly, yes Houchins is currently Rule 5 qualified unless the Angels add him to their 40-man by whatever the date is in mid/late November.

Oh the humanity!

2 hours ago, ettin said:

Selection eligibility

Not sure how appealing he will be as a Rule V candidate, or to be added to the 40. But I can see him having a big season in the PCL. One of those Nick Gorneault-type guys who clubs out 25 HRs.

6 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Nothing less sexy than a "Nick Gorneault type," except possibly a "Kevin Frandsen type"

And where is Nick Gorneault now? My guess is he's an Associate Manager as some Mazda dealership in Orange County.

You really think he's working for CJ Wilson? .....Ugh!

16 hours ago, tomsred said:

You really think he's working for CJ Wilson? .....Ugh!

Speaking of that what does former prospect Brandon Wood do these days ?

Edit: Brandon Wood is now a minor league manager in the Padres farm system & in this article he talks about the anxiety he had as a player. I always thought he had anxiety when he was with the Angels, he didn't look comfortable. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/brandon-wood-angels-prospect-padres-manager-minors-mlb

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Scioscia4MVP said:

Speaking of that what does former prospect Brandon Wood do these days ?

Edit: Brandon Wood is now a minor league manager in the Padres farm system & in this article he talks about the anxiety he had as a player. I always thought he had anxiety when he was with the Angels, he didn't look comfortable. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/03/brandon-wood-angels-prospect-padres-manager-minors-mlb

Isn't age 32 a bit young for even a minor league manager?