• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Upton will likely opt-out

nate

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Hernandez is a rock solid leadoff option, .370 OBP the past two seasons.  Trout, Upton, and Pujols would clean up.

The only risk I could see AO is that he goes through a swoon after changing leagues.  I have seen that happen far too many times.  He is what we need at the top of the order for sure if he can continue what he's done the past two seasons.

• 4 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Nope, he was never available to any other team to negotiate.

Larry Reynolds is his agent. He knows every GM in baseball. They all talk amongst themselves unofficially. There’s a good possibility that Reynolds figured out that free agency (remember they already did that) may not be the best avenue to get Upton slightly more money, a chance to win and sunshine. Getting those three components together are sometimes hard to achieve from just any franchise. Reynolds was able to get it done without asking too much. It’s a win-win for both sides and now the Angels can concentrate on other positions. 

I think Reynolds did his job.

3 hours ago, Stradling said:

I wasn’t too far off.  

You might as well a bit further . . .

On October 3, 2017 at 6:52 AM, Stradling said:

I’m guessing he will sign a different deal with the Angels before he’s an actual free agent.  Probably around 5 years $105 million, no trade clause.  Basically add another year.

On October 3, 2017 at 7:40 AM, nate said:

What exactly makes you think that?  Because of all the other players that have done that?  Which have been... Weaver?  Everyone else has been given the finger by Arte or gone after more money.

Wonder who asked @Jeff Fletcher this on Oct 3rd:

•  
  • DMVol
  • Members
  • 3,084 posts
   @Jeff Fletcher  Any thought on whether the Angels might be proactive and talk to his agent about an extension of the old contract (maybe a year) or do you think they will wait and see what he does first?

Obviously,  he enjoyed his time here. Thought it was the best fit for him and his family. Both side wanted to get a deal done. Angels were willing to throw in a no trade and an extra year if he would back end a lot of the money to free up some money over the next couple of seasons. Deal was done. Simple.

I thought for sure he would be gone.  Other than Houston Street, it seems like every player the Angels acquired via trade with one season or less left on their contract ended up leaving.

It is really awesome not only that he stayed, but he also isn't getting an absurd contract.  The Angels finally have a hitter that deserves to be hitting behind Mike Trout.

It also seems like the Angels finally have a competent GM again in Eppler.  First time in the Scioscia era since Stoneman retired the first time.