• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Good news! Scioscia will be back for the final year of his contract

Chuck

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Yea I saw that play, but didn’t hear his quote after the game.  They were speculating on tv that he ran out of time to challenge, and hadn’t seen that definitive replay.  It seemed like it took an inning or two to show the replay that was conclusive.   

Even if it's close, isn't it a play that's worth challenging?  Of course his players have a share of the blame too.  They had 5 runs to play with

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

How did he F up last night?

There was absolutely nothing to lose by challenging the call of a hit batter and the Yankee catcher (who was the closest person to the play) told Girardi the batter wasn't hit.

There was plenty of time, Girardi just choked and his explanations after the game were lame at best.

That's how I saw it.

YMMV

Just to be clear I didn’t say he did the right thing I was merely regurgitating what the TV guys said.  I’m pretty damn sure however if his video replay guy saw the angle we all later saw, he would have challenged it.  Should he have challenged it, after seeing the last replay, yes absolutely.  But Jesus they were up five runs.  The pitcher who threw the cookie deserves quite a bit of the blame.  Or the offense that stopped scoring after the 4th inning deserves some blame.  Or Cleveland deserves some credit.  But yea, why not challenge it.  

The Yankees have the highest percentage in baseball of getting calls overturned. Which isn't necessarily a good thing. 

One of the Angels numbers guys once told me the risk of losing a challenge when your challenge fails is minuscule. It's rare that another reversible play will occur after you're out of challenges and before the point that you don't need them (the 7th then, now the 8th is when umpires can look on their own).

"You're better off getting 5 of 50 calls overturned than 4 of 4," I was told. 

Also, in the Yankees case, you have 2 challenges in the postseason. And it was the 6th already. And it was a must-win. And getting the call overturned gets you the 3rd out.

It was inexcusable not to challenge. They didn't even need to look at it. As soon as Sanchez said something to Girardi, he should have challenged. 

Side note: I am pretty sure that most fan bases, most of the time, think their manager is bad. People are never satisfied, in general, and the manager is the easiest one to blame. 

1 hour ago, Blarg said:

@Jeff Fletcher are you taking some time off right now? Baseball is one hell of a long season of all the sports to follow.

Yes. October is a pretty quiet month since teams can't really make any player moves yet. Just about all that happens are coaching changes. 

I do have to help with the Dodgers at some point, though. 

6 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Looks ilke that job is going to keep you busy for a while. It doesn't look like the Diamondbacks are up to the challenge. Maybe their luck changes at home.

When I was working on the Trade Deadline series I noticed, prior to the J.D. Martinez acquisition, that the Diamondbacks were very weak against LHP (the Angels were dead last at season's end which was another reason the Justin Upton trade made a lot of sense for our playoff hopes) and I thought "Hey if they ever play the Dodgers they are going to have a difficult time winning against their LH starters". Odds seem to be stacked against them.

6 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

It was inexcusable not to challenge. They didn't even need to look at it. As soon as Sanchez said something to Girardi, he should have challenged. 

This!

As has been stated already, there was nothing to lose by challenging the call.

There's no excuse for not challenging the call on the field, and imo, Girardi just plain and simple choked.