• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

Sigh.

Neal’s family had tried for years to get him treatment for his apparent mental illness, his sister, Sheridan Orr, 46, said in a telephone interview.

When he would call family members in a rage, upset about something, they would tell him that he needed to go to a mental health facility and that he needed medication. He would always refuse and he never received an official diagnosis, Orr said.

“He never should have had guns and he should’ve been able to get mental health care,” she said.

19 hours ago, Jason said:

Then I missed it. The weapons didn’t just become more evil. Our society has though

I don't know about that, Jason. I honestly think our society is just as sinful and "evil" today as it was 50 years ago, or 2,000 years ago. The expressions of sin may change, but the root problem is the same. You might think America was a better place in the 50s and 60s, but if you talk to a person of color, they might disagree with you. 

8 minutes ago, Taylor said:

I don't know about that, Jason. I honestly think our society is just as sinful and "evil" today as it was 50 years ago, or 2,000 years ago. The expressions of sin may change, but the root problem is the same. You might think America was a better place in the 50s and 60s, but if you talk to a person of color, they might disagree with you. 

I think what has changed the most is the devaluation of human life and desensitization to violence.  Evil is and always will be there. As for the 50's and 60's, I was just an itch in my daddy's pants at that time. 

31 minutes ago, Jason said:

I think what has changed the most is the devaluation of human life and desensitization to violence.  Evil is and always will be there. As for the 50's and 60's, I was just an itch in my daddy's pants at that time. 

1950's, population of the world 3 billion

2010's population of the world 7 billion

Could very well be the % of nutjobs is the same.  There is just more of them.  Also back then, nutjobs were heavily medicated in facilities, electroshock therapied, and lobotomized.  So the threat was decreased that way.

IMO, there is a copycat element to these things. Angry people express rage in all kinds of crazy ways.  The “I’m gonna go shoot everyone up” thing I believe pops into people minds because they keep seeing it happen.  Social media the 24 hour non stop news.  All these thing have made the world into a ridiculous echo chamber.

the world we live in is what it is, the insane proliferation of firearms in this country just makes it worse.   

Edited by UndertheHalo

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

IMO, there is a copycat element to these things. Angry people express rage in all kinds of crazy ways.  The “I’m gonna go shoot everyone up” thing I believe pops into people minds because they keep seeing it happen.  Social media the 24 hour non stop news.  All these thing have made the world into a ridiculous echo chamber.

the world we live in is what it is, the insane proliferation of firearms in this country just makes it worse.   

So the only thing we can do about all of this violence is take away guns?

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

So the only thing we can do about all of this violence is take away guns?

I’ve never said anything about taking away guns.  So that’s kind of unfair. But yea, I think that making it more difficult to get a gun is a pretty direct way to intervene against mass shootings.  

Beyond that, it’s difficult.  What do you suggest we do ?  In my post I was lamenting the nonstop news feed we are bombarded with.  I think if we didn’t inundate people with 24 hour coverage of every tragedy then maybe that helps eliminate copy cats.  But what are we going to do ? Ban the news ? Obviously not.  Like I said, the world is what it is.  You know im all for healthcare for everyone.  Easy access to a mental health professional would probably help. 

37 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I’ve never said anything about taking away guns.  So that’s kind of unfair. But yea, I think that making it more difficult to get a gun is a pretty direct way to intervene against mass shootings.  

Beyond that, it’s difficult.  What do you suggest we do ?  In my post I was lamenting the nonstop news feed we are bombarded with.  I think if we didn’t inundate people with 24 hour coverage of every tragedy then maybe that helps eliminate copy cats.  But what are we going to do ? Ban the news ? Obviously not.  Like I said, the world is what it is.  You know im all for healthcare for everyone.  Easy access to a mental health professional would probably help. 

More and more studies are coming regarding long term use of internet, gaming and their links to depression.  Our society is starting to lose connection with one another.  

Edited by mtangelsfan

4 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

More and more studies are coming regarding long term use of internet, gaming and their links to depression.  Our society is starting to lose connection with one another.  

Agreed, I believe our lifestyles have negatively impacted peoples psychologically.  There’s a lot to discuss there. 

10 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Only because #@$#@#$ noobs can't @#$@##$ heal worth a #@$@# and are too busy @#$@##$ @#$@#$@# @@#$#@$ with @#$@#$@# with their mom <continue incoherent rant ad nauseum>

5 hours ago, Glen said:

Or perhaps we could look at the "cold dead hands" people who buy lawmakers to make it so difficult to take guns away.

He acquired the guns illegally according to the BBC report so there was no documentation he even owned them. Also he was a cannabis farmer, according to his mother. A small detail not included in the reports that have been posted here. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-42002015

3 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Agreed, I believe our lifestyles have negatively impacted peoples psychologically.  There’s a lot to discuss there. 

Uh oh! We’re finding common ground here. A rarity in the political forum

18 hours ago, gotbeer said:

1950's, population of the world 3 billion

2010's population of the world 7 billion

Could very well be the % of nutjobs is the same.  There is just more of them.  Also back then, nutjobs were heavily medicated in facilities, electroshock therapied, and lobotomized.  So the threat was decreased that way.

This might be one valid argument to suggest the increase actually.  I dont think these heinous acts are new, i dont even thinks its a people of color might disagree thing, people have always done shitty things to each other.   
Perhaps its the fact that there are more of us, or how we are being pumped full of drugs 24/7, or is it just that we are now seeing everything in real time and are more aware of it all that make it all seems like its happening more often.
I personally dont see anything all that new going on aside form real time media, but these numbers could actully suggest that it is more frequest due to all of the above.    

20 minutes ago, Tank said:

KTLA reporting that a judge ordered his guns removed several months ago. 

Seems like this guy fell through an awful lot of cracks in the system.

This is in large part the reason i dont abide the current dialog regarding more laws or bans.  Even in CA where we have very restrictive laws the process fails us.  We need to fix the process before adding to it .

3 hours ago, arch stanton said:

The thing about ruling that someone’s gun have to be taken away is that someone has to go take them. Whose job is that?

local law enforcement. if the judge issued an order i believe it's up to them to serve it. in a small town, think sheriff andy taylor of mayberry (though in this case it sounds more like barney fife was in charge).

8 hours ago, Tank said:

local law enforcement. if the judge issued an order i believe it's up to them to serve it. in a small town, think sheriff andy taylor of mayberry (though in this case it sounds more like barney fife was in charge).

I ain’t your bitch. Feds want it taken, feds come get it