• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Angels need an arm ahead of Richards in the rotation

Chuck

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Couldn't quite remember the amounts. Think it's actually closer to ~$15m for the two, which is still close to the cost of a Lynn, Cobb, Hellickson, Chatwood, Garcia type arm, more than likely.

Miguel Gonzalez could be interesting as a Chavez-lite type. Would be pretty cheap and has the potential to be solid depth. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1JJEzXDdi1FoAVCxpssrNq04unxs39JIJg6CRn-IPM1c/pubhtml

22 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Similarly, Chavez and Nolasco gave us 311.1 IP of 5.13 ERA ball for ~ $20m. 
If you can bring in Alex Cobb for $16m and get 200 innings of even 4.00 ERA ball you're making a huge, huge improvement. 

I think replacing the innings of those two with one really solid mid-rotation piece and Bridwell/Ramirez would represent a big swing.

Your math is off slightly ... Nolasco and Chavez earned $13.75 combined but point taken

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

You're assuming we're buying him out ... which I agree 

Angels paid Ricky $8M and Chavez $5.75M plus bonuses of? What's missing?

I'm not really sure why this is being discussed to be honest haha.

All I said was Nolasco and Chavez were paid/valued at, approximately, $20m for 310 innings of mediocre ball. A mid-tier arm and one-year flier or Bridwell/Ramirez should give you far better production over as many (or more) innings for roughly the same cost, and it would make as big an improvement for the team as paying $25m+ for a Darvish/Arrieta.

Nit picking over a couple million in this discussion is awfully pedantic. That wasn't the point of my initial post. 

25 minutes ago, totdprods said:

I'm not really sure why this is being discussed to be honest haha.

All I said was Nolasco and Chavez were paid/valued at, approximately, $20m for 310 innings of mediocre ball. A mid-tier arm and one-year flier or Bridwell/Ramirez should give you far better production over as many (or more) innings for roughly the same cost, and it would make as big an improvement for the team as paying $25m+ for a Darvish/Arrieta.

Nit picking over a couple million in this discussion is awfully pedantic. That wasn't the point of my initial post. 

My initial response was  'point taken'  ... but whatever carry on

Alex Cobb would be a guy I'd personally target. He could give this team 150-175 league average-ish innings and I don't think he'll cost a ton. Angels have been bitten in the ass too many times the past few years to just assume Richards, Heaney, Skaggs, Ramirez and Shoemaker will be fine heading into 2018. Add a legit rotation arm if it fits into the offseason plans.