• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Tips on house training a puppy?

Chuck

@red321 Archie slept in his 5 x 4 cage last night that I got him with his large bed inside, blankets and a couple toys. No accidents overnight. 6.5 hours total. I walked him good before bed. He cried, whined and howled for almost an  hour before passing out. Put him back in there today for 3 hours. So far so good. He went to the bathroom immediately outside when I took him out this morning. Then again before I left for work. The wife is home to watch him about 4-5 hours during the day, so that's good. 

I got rid of the pet diaper sheets as he was missing the mark inside the house on those anyway, plus it just gave him the greenlight on going to the bathroom in the house. 

One day at a time. It was hard to listen to him cry for an hour, but tough love right? 

I didn't read through all the posts here, so sorry if I'm going over some things others have already mentioned. I got my dog, an Australian Shepherd/Border Collie mix, at six months old (he's almost two now). It only took about a week to house train him (save for that one time about a month later that he shit all over my bed during a f-all thunderstorm). But there are two things I did that seemed to make the process easy. First, I had specific treats that he got only when he went to the bathroom outside. In my case, it was cut up hot dogs. I didn't use them for any other training. Just for going to the bathroom outside. He picked up on how that worked very quickly. And second, I established a routine. Dogs pick up on patterns pretty well. He eventually just learned when we were going to head out to let him go to the bathroom throughout the day. Now he usually does what he needs to do within about a minute of those trips outside. 

Good looking pup you got there Chuck. Damn its gonna get BIG with gigantic poops. 

I didn't want to install a doggie door, so I hung a small bell by a string to the handle of our sliding glass door. I trained my dogs to swat at it when they wanted to go outside. They picked up on it quick, and it worked perfect. One dog would lightly tap it while the other dog would throw a haymaker and send that bell flying around the handle. Only used it in the winter months when we didn't want the door open. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I installed a doggie door and that has helped and he's holding it overnight (after a walk to go to the bathroom for 6 hours. I then walk him at around 5:30-6am and bring him to my room so he can sleep on his blanket and stuffed animal bear next to my bed. He sleeps till the wife gets up around 9am, so we got him on a good schedule. 

Today he willingly went into his cage/crate and chilled there on his own. First time! 

In just 3 weeks since getting him, he's grown quite a bit. Check out this picture when I first got him 3 weeks ago to now. 

3 weeks ago...

19554757_10213464314538753_1535795764966578858_n (1).jpg

Last weekend...

Image may contain: dog, grass, outdoor and nature

This past weekend...

Image may contain: 1 person, dog, plant, outdoor and nature