• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia on protesting during the anthem

Chuck

Just now, mtangelsfan said:

There is a difference between having your argument attacked and you being attacked.

That fact gets lost on here all of the time.

Understood.  But is it fair to point out the obvious?  A beat writer basically complaining that someone is saying the same thing for too long?

I think that's a fair point.

The NFL and NBA are each situations where the largely black employees are the face of the product and the very wealthy and successful owners  realize that taking them on directly would be pretty foolish. If they force the issue they’re going to lose sponsors and a good part of the political clout that keeps their monopolies humming along. 

At some point though, the players themselves will be asked to put up or shut up and the league will have to offer to work with the players to address certain issues. They’ll have to do this without pissing off the police and politicians they’ve spent so much time and money to appease over the years. The key will be in forming a singular message that suits both sides and isn’t highjacked by the parasites 

51 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

You just wait till I win a Pulitzer for Best Story That Says Nothing. 

I hope you do.  Really.  I love baseball and I love baseball content.  Let me say explicitly here (as a reaction to another poster thinking I was put if line) that while I believe my comment to you was, in my opinion fair, it really attacks the nature of your assignmant and how that (out of your control) has you boxed in a bit.

I would be very happy if you wrote a book and won a Purlitzer Prize.

9 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

If they keep having to repeatedly say that they aren't protesting the flag, anthem or the military then is this a successful approach?

That’s why I say they need to come up with an agreeable message pretty quick. You’ve got national attention now do something with it 

13 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I hope you do.  Really.  I love baseball and I love baseball content.  Let me say explicitly here (as a reaction to another poster thinking I was put if line) that while I believe my comment to you was, in my opinion fair, it really attacks the nature of your assignmant and how that (out of your control) has you boxed in a bit.

In some ways, you are correct. I'm pretty sure all of our jobs have inefficiencies, but that's a whole other thread.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

In some ways, you are correct. I'm pretty sure all of our jobs have inefficiencies, but that's a whole other thread.

It would be boring content, but I could tell you 100 examples of limitations in my work (commercial finance) that come from the investor community that is addicted to vanilla.  It sometimes crushes creativity that would accomplish very exciting things.

And I have an engineer friend that literally hates his work.  He became an engineer to engineer.  Yet everyday he simply mechanically pushes forward a repeat of somebody else's "proven" and safe project rules. . .

52 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

What is really weird is that the term is "inmates running the asylum".

But the Texans owner says "inmates running the prison".

So the owner equates his millionaire, highly paid black players, with felons.

Gee, I cannot for the life of me figure out why black players may be protesting racial inequality.

Uh oh

20 hours ago, yk9001 said:

What is really weird is that the term is "inmates running the asylum".

But the Texans owner says "inmates running the prison".

So the owner equates his millionaire, highly paid black players, with felons.

Gee, I cannot for the life of me figure out why black players may be protesting racial inequality.

Do you honestly think he meant it any more than the version with "asylum"?

If someone says "bless you", "godbless you" or the ever present "blesh you" when you sneeze, do you wonder why they chose that version over another?

7 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Unequivocally, wholeheartedly, yes.

I will make it as clear as I can. I think that the old, white Texan owner equates his black players with felons and prisoners.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

If someone says "bless you", "godbless you" or the ever present "blesh you" when you sneaze, do you wonder why they chose that version over another?

The first is agnostict, the second is religious oppresion, the last is a speech impediment .