• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia on protesting during the anthem

Chuck

On 10/17/2017 at 10:09 PM, Dtwncbad said:

Dont you understand the owners dont want people to stop watching and it's their business?

The players thinking they are entitled to use company time to do something that damages the business of their employer proves to me they are idiots.

I am not sure the point you are making here.  You are saying the owners don't want the players to kneel, but the fact is the owners control the players, so they can fire them.  Yet none have.  So who are you pointing the finger at?  I mean, if they really didn't want them to do it, they could fire them.  Also, when you make a statement like you don't want your Verizon guy giving a 30 sec speech on whatever, that's not the same.  These players aren't taking any of your time away.  Seriously, did you used to watch the NFL to see all of the players standing proudly for the National Anthem?  Which, I believe they have only been doing for less than 10 years, so....  WTF does it matter?

10 hours ago, Merlot said:

I am not sure the point you are making here.  You are saying the owners don't want the players to kneel, but the fact is the owners control the players, so they can fire them.  Yet none have.  So who are you pointing the finger at?  I mean, if they really didn't want them to do it, they could fire them.  Also, when you make a statement like you don't want your Verizon guy giving a 30 sec speech on whatever, that's not the same.  These players aren't taking any of your time away.  Seriously, did you used to watch the NFL to see all of the players standing proudly for the National Anthem?  Which, I believe they have only been doing for less than 10 years, so....  WTF does it matter?

So you don't understand my point and also ask WTF does it matter?

Showing a baseline respect for your country and your employer are not really very complicated concepts.  So my advice is maybe ask your parents?

14 hours ago, Tank said:

thanks, YK. Still not really seeing anything tangible to this, but maybe that will be more visible over time.

"The purpose of the protests was to seize the attention of those who might otherwise have paid it none and to use moral suasion to change minds, and it seems to have worked on no less than John Mara."

The players don't know what they are kneeling for. They are wealthy useful idiots.....

Its really not that hard to understand, folks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/09/this-is-about-systemic-oppression-eric-reid-becomes-the-voice-of-49ers-protest-with-criticism-of-pence/?utm_term=.56625a836573

For the willfully obtuse, I will let Eric Reid spell it out for you:

“I’ve spoken to you all previously about controlling the narrative. And that’s what we’ll do,” Reid, who counts Kaepernick among his friends, told reporters in the locker room after the 49ers’ overtime loss. “If I need to say it every time ya’ll ask me, this is not about the military, this is not about the flag, this is not about the anthem. My mother served in the armed forces. Three of my uncles served in the armed forces. In fact, my mom would have went to the Persian Gulf War if she wasn’t pregnant with me.

“I have the utmost respect for the military, for the anthem, for the flag. So I will say that every time ya’ll interview me. This is about systemic oppression that has been rampant in this country for decades on top of decades. And I will continue to say and encourage people to educate themselves of how we got to where are today, because it didn’t happen overnight. And it’s not going to happen overnight to fix these issues, so we’re going to keep talking about it.

So they whine that people don't get it?

How long will they continue this stupid misfire and have their message not understood?

They are idiots.

In other news, for the 10th time this month my 14 year old flipped off his teacher and got sent to see the principle for disrespecting the teacher.  He keeps explaining it is a hand gesture intended to protest oppression in the world.

Yeah, the teacher and the principle are the stupid ones.

The players doing this are absolute idiots.

43 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

So they whine that people don't get it?

How long will they continue this stupid misfire and have their message not understood?

They are idiots.

In other news, for the 10th time this month my 14 year old flipped off his teacher and got sent to see the principle for disrespecting the teacher.  He keeps explaining it is a hand gesture intended to protest oppression in the world.

Yeah, the teacher and the principle are the stupid ones.

The players doing this are absolute idiots.

Using the term "stupid ones" in the same sentence that the word principal is spelled incorrectly...

Priceless.

3 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/as-catcher-bruce-maxwell-says-he-was-denied-service-at-restaurant-for-kneeling-during-anthem/ar-AAtZICh?li=BBnb7Kz

Hey Baxter, he didn't want to serve you because you protested, not because of the color of your skin.

The whole article seems like it is written by his own PR agent.  They don't even name the restaurant.  I have my doubts it's even true.  Blatantly self promoting. . .

On 10/24/2017 at 3:36 PM, mtangelsfan said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/as-catcher-bruce-maxwell-says-he-was-denied-service-at-restaurant-for-kneeling-during-anthem/ar-AAtZICh?li=BBnb7Kz

Hey Baxter, he didn't want to serve you because you protested, not because of the color of your skin.

Oh look, he may not be telling the truth:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/waiter-as-maxwell-outright-lying-about-being-refused-service/ar-AAu3qjk?li=BBnba9I

On 10/24/2017 at 7:52 AM, yk9001 said:

Its really not that hard to understand, folks.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/10/09/this-is-about-systemic-oppression-eric-reid-becomes-the-voice-of-49ers-protest-with-criticism-of-pence/?utm_term=.56625a836573

For the willfully obtuse, I will let Eric Reid spell it out for you:

“I’ve spoken to you all previously about controlling the narrative. And that’s what we’ll do,” Reid, who counts Kaepernick among his friends, told reporters in the locker room after the 49ers’ overtime loss. “If I need to say it every time ya’ll ask me, this is not about the military, this is not about the flag, this is not about the anthem. My mother served in the armed forces. Three of my uncles served in the armed forces. In fact, my mom would have went to the Persian Gulf War if she wasn’t pregnant with me.

“I have the utmost respect for the military, for the anthem, for the flag. So I will say that every time ya’ll interview me. This is about systemic oppression that has been rampant in this country for decades on top of decades. And I will continue to say and encourage people to educate themselves of how we got to where are today, because it didn’t happen overnight. And it’s not going to happen overnight to fix these issues, so we’re going to keep talking about it.

And I would encourage him  to get over himself, stop being a useful idiot for the left,  play football, and enjoy life.

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-icon-vietnam-vet-rocky-bleier-nfl-protests-never-gotten-point-182928379.html

They are at work.  Simple concept.

Give an inch they take a foot.

You allow casual Friday and next thing you know you are in an HR "smart resolution" meeting trying to resolve whether it is OK to ask Pam to please keep her shoes on and to please find some jeans that don't feature a 3 inch camel toe.

5 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-icon-vietnam-vet-rocky-bleier-nfl-protests-never-gotten-point-182928379.html

They are at work.  Simple concept.

Give an inch they take a foot.

You allow casual Friday and next thing you know you are in an HR "smart resolution" meeting trying to resolve whether it is OK to ask Pam to please keep her shoes on and to please find some jeans that don't feature a 3 inch camel toe.

I abandoned this thread for a week and I check back in and you're still arguing a moot point. 

No one questions the right of an employer to regulate how it's employees conduct themselves on company time. 

You're right. We all agree. It's indisputable.

Yet..... NFL owners have had more than a year to do something, and they haven't. So apparently it's not as important to them as it is to you.

45 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I abandoned this thread for a week and I check back in and you're still arguing a moot point. 

No one questions the right of an employer to regulate how it's employees conduct themselves on company time. 

Yet..... NFL owners have had more than a year to do something, and they haven't. So apparently it's not as important to them as it is to you.

Jeff obviously has not paid much attention to what we do here.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Jeff seriously?  A beat writer complaining that my stuff isn't changing and is boring you?  I can't wait to read your next piece with Scioscia quotes and maybe announcing that there were no other announcements.

8 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Jeff seriously?  A beat writer complaining that my stuff isn't changing and is boring you?  I can't wait to read your next piece with Scioscia quotes and maybe announcing that there were no other announcements.

Why do you keep getting personal?  Dude you need to chill.

I actually find the subject fascinating.  Good stuff in here.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/21170410/gaffes-tv-ratings-concerns-dominated-nfl-players-forged-anthem-peace-league-meetings

AS THE HISTORIC players-owners meeting began, the players, led by retired wide receiver Anquan Boldin and Philadelphia Eagles safety Malcolm Jenkins, entered the conference room and shook the owners' hands, an uncommon occurrence at prior tension-filled joint meetings. The players took seats side by side with the owners. Goodell wanted to put the players at ease by allowing every one of their voices to be heard. The players said that they felt the owners -- as a collective more than the small group in the room -- were being duplicitous; they were empathetic to their concerns behind closed doors but not publicly. Fans needed to hear from owners that players who knelt or raised fists were good men who loved their country, they argued. Messages of support couldn't be delivered only inside the locker rooms. Finally, New York Jets linebacker Demario Davis stood up in the center of the room and told owners: "I'm going to break it down for you guys. You guys aren't supporting us, and until you do, there's going to be an issue."

Davis' message, and passion, seemed to relieve the tension. Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank later told Davis that he'd "missed his calling" as a great public speaker. A few owners tried to separate their deep dislike of unemployed quarterback Colin Kaepernick, who started the protests a little more than a year ago, from the players' broader message: This wasn't an "anthem protest" but rather an "inequality in America" protest. Knowing that their motives and message had largely been lost in the political chaos, the players told stories of their personal connections to the military and showed a good grasp of the business problems suddenly confronting the league. Left unsaid was the warning issued on Oct. 11 by Buccaneers defensive tackle Gerald McCoy about forcing players to stand: "I think it's gonna be an uproar if that is to happen, because you're basically taking away a constitutional right to freedom of speech."

There is a fundamental difference on how many of the players see America, and how the "I don't want black guys doing anything but entertaining me" people see America.  Nothing is going away soon, so all you guys who hate the protests, enjoy your apple picking on Sundays.

39 minutes ago, mtangelsfan said:

Why do you keep getting personal?  Dude you need to chill.

I understand your post and appreciate the interest in keeping things "chill."

But the reality is I simply reacted squarely at a post that was fairly read as mocking.

The conversation was basically over and then the Maxwell thing pushed it forward a bit and the I posted the Rocky Blier follow up that came out.

Was that worthy of being scolded by a beat writer?

That's am honest question.  Our answers may disagree with each other but for the record I have no personal issue with Jeff.  But I don't need to obey him either.

I'm fine with my direct point back to him.