• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Upton opt out question

Erstad Grit

51 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

If he stays, I think he reworks his deal in a way that will cover the millions in extra income taxes he would have to pay. Maybe a team option for a fifth year with a guaranteed minimum covering the difference. Realistically, he can sign for less money in many other places and take home more and have a much cheaper cost of comparable living.

Not really if he wants to play for a contender. It would (realistically) limit his options to AZ, HOU, CLE, & maybe TEX. Those are the only places were there might be contending teams that have that much less cost of living. BOS, NYY, CHC, LAD, WAS all have a very high cost of living. STL & MIL don't count because they wouldn't be able to fit him in their budget. COL maybe, if you think the Rox will be contenders the next few years, and if the cost of living here stabilizes a bit (it won't).

5 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

If he says to the Angels in October, "I'd like a one-year extension to stay," it's up to the Angels whether they believe he'd go if he doesn't get it. 

I think Upton would be worth giving one more year to keep here.  If I'm the Angels, I do it in a second.

20 hours ago, ettin said:

(e) The exercise dates of option provisions contained in Uniform
Player’s Contracts all must fall within the Quiet Period described in
subparagraph (2)(b) above.

Just in case you guys still didn't believe Jeff. The Quite Period is the 5 days following the end of the last game of the World Series.

Wait! You used two different words there with two different meanings!  We might be getting bamboozled!

I'll have to check to see if I still have $2 in my wallet!

;)

2 hours ago, NotMyCat said:

Wait! You used two different words there with two different meanings!  We might be getting bamboozled!

I'll have to check to see if I still have $2 in my wallet!

;)

Perhaps not my finest English moment.

Upton has already shown he can hit quite well while wearing an Angel uniform & keeping him wouldn't exactly be like signing a player who's never played for the Angels like with Pujols, GMJr & Hamilton.

It seems players have more struggles after signing a long term contract to a Team they've Never played for as opposed to one they've been traded to.

They should re-sign him.

16 hours ago, gurn67 said:

If he stays, I think he reworks his deal in a way that will cover the millions in extra income taxes he would have to pay. Maybe a team option for a fifth year with a guaranteed minimum covering the difference. Realistically, he can sign for less money in many other places and take home more and have a much cheaper cost of comparable living.

I don't blame him. Taxes for that much money must be a bitch. He has to feed his kids.