• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Mike Clevinger

nate

On 9/16/2017 at 9:58 AM, stormngt said:

Reagins major fail is Vernon Wells, and coming to the winter meetings late and losing a chance to bid on Crawford (ends up being a blessing).  He did sign Hunter.  Am i  missing anything?

Losing out on Adrian Beltre,  who by all accounts wanted to sign with the Angels.

13 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

Dipoto's only real strength as a GM is his mouth. Dude talks a good game and it ropes fans in(myself included). The actual track record is straight up dogshit and so far he doesn't look to be doing much better in Seattle. For a former pitcher, he sure sucks at identifying pitchers. Can't build a bullpen, acquires trash starters, etc

But we absolutely adored this guy when we hired him. Remember the "Thank you Jerry" !!!

IMG_7494.PNG

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Stoneman..

Clay Daniels was an amazing judge of talent -- the dude was just corrupt.   Donny Rowland was similarly amazing at his job, but he was a major douchebag.   They were both twats but that didn't mean they weren't good at their jobs.

Would be nice to get someone that good who actually had some character.

On 9/15/2017 at 10:12 AM, nate said:

Dominating for Cleveland.

The Angels of course traded him for Vinnie Pestano.

Another reason to hold onto pitching prospects at all cost, even the crappy ones.

Or....

Grab other pitching prospects whenever you can, even for middle relievers having career years when you're 4 games under .500 at the deadline. 

19 hours ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

Losing out on Adrian Beltre,  who by all accounts wanted to sign with the Angels.

I can't count that on Reagins.  It is only speculation that he wanted to sign with the Angels.  It is only speculation that all the Angels needed was offer the sixth year.  We don't know if Beltre wanted to sign with the Angels more than Texas.  We don't know if we offered a sixth year that wouldn't have gone to Texas and ask them to up the offer.  If fact, I wouldn't be surprised that the person who started the rumor that Beltre "wanted to sign with the Angels" was Boras himself hoping we would continue the bidding contest between us and Texas.

My point is we can't factually say it was Reagins missteps that cost us Beltre and not some "other factor".

Re. Greyson Long.  Even if he turns into Clevinger, the fact that the Angels traded him for one of the top LFers is good enough for me.  The Angels actually got someone useful and with a proven track record of production and filled a key need.  Trading Clevinger for some middleing reliever with no history or track record of success was a giant mistake.

On 9/19/2017 at 5:33 PM, aznhockeyguy said:

Re. Greyson Long.  Even if he turns into Clevinger, the fact that the Angels traded him for one of the top LFers is good enough for me.  The Angels actually got someone useful and with a proven track record of production and filled a key need.  Trading Clevinger for some middleing reliever with no history or track record of success was a giant mistake.

Yup - you have to give to get and someone like Upton is going to cost talent. 

Vinnie Pestano shouldn't have. See Bridwell, Parker.

31 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Isn't Clevengier a guy that hardly throws strikes.  I mean it's working for him obviously, but one wonders about how sustainable that is.  This guy isn't Chris Sale. 

Obviously not a great move for the Angels in any case. 

He walks a fair bit but the dude pitches. Every game I've seen his intensity is ratcheted up, he attacks hitters, and he seems to really stick with a strategy while adjusting on the fly. Stuff-wise he's different from Bridwell, but between the ears they two guys are pretty similar.

In theory, yes, the concept of this trade wasn't outwardly terrible - a struggling class A pitcher for a former standout vet reliever to help a team making a playoff push isn't a poor trade, it was just made much worse because Dipoto did so many trades of this sort. Not everyone dealt wound up like Pestano and Clevinger, but Dipoto bled the farm dry with shit to show for it, and this trade blowing up in our face in particular is sort of the hallmark for the Dipoto era, and that's what makes it sting so much.