• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

The Outdoors Thread

gotbeer

5 minutes ago, Redondo said:

20240428_082257.jpg

Saw a snake on my walk the other day

I believe it's a gopher snake, but they look similar to a rattler 

This morning about 4:30 I had an adult skunk walk out of the bushes about 8 feet in front of me. I froze and kept the light in his eyes as he looked at me. After a minute he went back in the bush and I moved to the other side of the path to avoid him

Out of all the animals I encounter I'm leary of the skunks. The rest don't bother me

Yup.  Gopher Snake.  No rattle.  Thinner head.  Still has the stripping as a rattler.  

Skunks are pretty.  But not at 4:30 in the morning from 8 feet away.  

FYI.  A rattler does not leap out at you.  A rattler can only only strike the length of his body.  Because they curl up, they seem to be jumping at it's prey.  So if you see a 5 foot rattler curled up and are 6 feet away, you should be safe.  Skunks according to googs, can spray 15-20 feet.  So you were in the tomato juice and baking soda and sobbing uncontrollably begging for help zone.  

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Yup.  Gopher Snake.  No rattle.  Thinner head.  Still has the stripping as a rattler.  

Skunks are pretty.  But not at 4:30 in the morning from 8 feet away.  

FYI.  A rattler does not leap out at you.  A rattler can only only strike the length of his body.  Because they curl up, they seem to be jumping at it's prey.  So if you see a 5 foot rattler curled up and are 6 feet away, you should be safe.  Skunks according to googs, can spray 15-20 feet.  So you were in the tomato juice and baking soda and sobbing uncontrollably begging for help zone.  

At least I have a river to jump into

Then call my family to bring the tomatoe juice

Prefer to not get sprayed

30 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Tomato juice is dumb. Use a mixture of a tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing soap, a cup of baking soda and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. 

BS!

use a mixture of garlic, vinegar and ammonia!

16 hours ago, Blarg said:

Tomato juice is dumb. Use a mixture of a tablespoon of Dawn dishwashing soap, a cup of baking soda and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide. 

nonsense! use a mixture of roguefort cheese, three day old egg salad, and french's yellow mustard. 

So went hiking on Sunday.  Jacinto peak.  89 degrees in Palm Springs when I started, 109 degrees in Palm Springs when I finished.  But on the mountain it wasn't bad.  Actually needed a jacket on the peak, with peak temps in the 50's.  On the way down though.  I got hot with about 1/3 of the hike left.  Also the tram was dead.  Usually it's packed on the peak, with the restaurant full, and having to wait for the tramride down.  No problem getting a seat at the bar.  And was on a half full tramride.  So I guess people didn't want to deal with the heat down below.

Just a tree.

20240630_102647.jpg

If you look just to the left of the big tree, you will see the startpoint, the top of the tram.

20240630_103148.jpg

The final crossroads.

20240630_115048.jpg

Emergency shelter just below the summit.  Not sure why they blocked off the chimney.

20240630_120204.jpg20240630_120321.jpg

Peak views.  Third picture, that's Gorgonio in the background, overnight camping trip in 2 weeks.  Highest peak in Southern California.

20240630_122718.jpg20240630_122728.jpg20240630_122735.jpg

Some old remnants.

20240630_145311.jpg

Old Ranger station.  Would be a kick ass place to be assigned for a summer.

20240630_145644.jpg

People still insist on hiking at the hottest time of the year here in Arizona

Texas hiker found dead at most dangerous national park in America

GRAND CANYON NATIONAL PARK, Ariz. – A Texas hiker died on Sunday while attempting to climb the Bright Angel Trail at Grand Canyon National Park.

The National Park Service said its communications center received a report of an unresponsive man around 2 p.m., but all attempts to resuscitate him by bystanders and first responders were unsuccessful.

An investigation is underway by the NPS and Arizona's Coconino County Medical Examiner to determine the cause of death of the 50-year-old.

This incident marks at least the fourth death this year at the park, which is considered the deadliest in America.

https://www.foxweather.com/lifestyle/arizona-hike-service-death-summer

Morons. My daughter, her boyfriend a MiLB olayer, and another MiLB player and his track star girlfriend went for a hike last weekend in Sedona.   I wanted to strangle them.  Luckily they cut it short. She tried to say “we’re all athletes.”  I told her “the sun doesn’t discriminate.”

On 7/13/2024 at 5:51 AM, Redondo said:

People still insist on hiking at the hottest time of the year here in Arizona

some people have to touch the wet paint for themselves in order to believe the sign on the bench. 

So I completed one of my bucket list items this weekend.  I knew that this weekend would probably be the last to accomplish this, as it's getting hot out there.  

So did San Gorgonio, and camped at the peak.  It's a brutal hike, about 10 miles each way, to the highest point in Southern California at 11,490 feet.  God or Gods or the pet rock was really looking out for us, as the conditions (minus the bugs) were perfect.  Overcast, with a nice breeze.  Of course, since we were camping, we had to take our camping gear all the way to the top.  And that was a brutal undertaking.

First photo is of us at the trailhead.  I don't know why this photo insists on being upside down.  I tried everything, and whenever I upload it, it's always this way.  And if I upload it upside down, it stays upside down.  F'n Chuck.  Anyways, see how we are all smiles at the trailhead.

20240713_054818.jpg

A photo of the initial switchbacks.

20240713_063311.jpg

Top of the switchbacks, this is about 1 1/2 mile of the 10.5 miles so far.

20240713_065002.jpg

Beautiful huge trees up at this point.

20240713_065351.jpg

Small waterfall we saw just before High Camp.  High Camp is around 6 miles in.

20240713_095404.jpg

This is the point above high camp.  

20240713_130510.jpg

A past forest fire, not sure if it was the gender reveal dumbshit fire, but the fire got to this ridge and was stopped.

image.jpeg

Me at the peak.  In pain.

image.jpeg

Same threesome, 10 miles later.  No fair, they looked like nothing happened.

20240713_170535.jpg

half moon.  

20240713_173038.jpg

The marker at the peak.

20240713_192628.jpg

Sunset.  Could have been a lot better, but the False peak is in the way.  So this is the best it got.

20240713_195450.jpg

This is what I woke up to.

20240714_050923.jpg

Now, if you really look closely in this one.  You can see a rainbow, streaking left to right in the center.

image.jpeg

So we really thought that that cloud cover was going to ruin our sunrise.  Then this started to peak out.

20240714_054119.jpg

20240714_054324.jpg

20240714_054328.jpg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Overall a great hike.  Even though it was probably tougher than I've ever done.  We left after this sunrise.  And it was a good thing as there was zero cover all the way down.  And no breeze.  I think if we did this hike today, instead of yesterday, we would absolutely have aborted.  Instead, it was quite a memorable sunrise, and a check mark on that bucket list item.  

image.jpeg

20240714_055912.jpg

@gotbeernot sure how you avoided all the monsoonal storms that were pounding us in Big Bear the last several days, especially all the lightning strikes. 

Somebody was definitely looking out for you.  We had quite the storms the last few days.

Edited by PattyD22

12 minutes ago, PattyD22 said:

@gotbeernot sure how you avoided all the monsoonal storms that we’re pounding us in Big Bear the last several days, especially all the lightning strikes. 

Somebody was definitely looking out for you.  We had quite the storms the last few days.

We only saw a little bit of rain.  My buddies saw more of it.  They said it downpoured for a few minutes then stopped.  

8 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Shit, I have two buddies camping at the East Fork right now, where the fire is.  Still a bit over a mile from where they camp.  But the fire is almost blocking the only way out.  

Hope they are okay