• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How to Sign Shohei Ohtani

Chuck

11 minutes ago, ksangel said:

Sounds as if he wants to hit so would believe AL teams have the leg up with having a DH...pitch then DH for four days...no risk playing him in the field.  Hard to believe any team would allow such an investment to play in the field and pitch.

Idea:  DFA Pujols and promise Otani he's the DH !!!

Can't wait a year from now.  Otani signs with the Dodgers and people will be on this board and say "if it wasn't for Pujols we would have been able to sign him".

Here's a different way that a team could hypothetically skirt the issue to funnel more money to him: If it's really about the money for the player, does it really matter where the paycheck comes from? Imagine this: A hypothetical team approaches its advertising partners to "market" and "promote" him in the stadium and on local broadcasts only. The hypothetical team could reduce the amount it charges to advertise in the stadium to offset the payment to Ohtani, and I don't think the league could do much about it. That way, Ohtani gets his money now, if it's really about the money, and the team stays within the MLB rules. It's not like anyone could complain that there are so many bobbleheads for him, or other give aways, or even other marketing features. And, Ohtani would still be able to pursue any national advertising campaigns for TV commercials and things. It would all be local revenue used to offset the salary.

Just another thought.

Personally, my bet is he wants to be a 2-way star. I've talked with many scouts about him, and almost all of them: 1) see him as a 1-dimensional player for their team (they wouldn't take the risk on him playing in the field or hitting daily and injuring his pitching); and 2) that some team out there will let him play both sides of the game. They all feel that may play a big role in signing him.

Some things in our favor: 1) playing with the greatest American player in our generation may appeal to him; 2) The large Japanese community here; 3) The relatively relaxed and calm environment compared to other teams and markets. 

Some things that work against us: 1) the ridiculously tiny press box which would make it nearly impossible for the Japanese media to keep up on him (if he has any desire to be a global star, especially in Japan, he will care that the associated media can provide him); 2) concerns whether it would upset Trout to have another generational talent possibly becoming the face of the franchise (I wouldn't want to upset Trout to sign Ohtani); 3) payroll issues (could we afford him and Trout long-term); 4) how do we guarantee him ABs without cutting into Pujols' playing time, especially if Upton doesn't opt out (not that anyone on here would complain about it--but we would need a plan, and we would need Scioscia to actually implement the plan).

If we could swing it, sure, I'd love to get him. It's really up to Arte to decide how much he wants to open things up. Personally, I think he should, as it would make the franchise even that much more valuable if he ever wanted to sell it.

11 hours ago, ettin said:

I'm just saying GB that MLB will be watching this process carefully. They are trying to avoid abuse of this posting system and doing these "under-the-table" deals or agreements with someone like him. Even the opt-out deal may raise MLB's ire.

For the record I think offering an opt-out is going to be a very useful tool moving forward, not just for an Otani-type, but others.

Another way to get creative and get around it.  Take a look at Maeda's contract with the Doggies. 

Kenta Maeda rhp
8 years/$25M (2016-23)

• 8 years/$25M (2016-23)
    • signed by LA Dodgers as a free agent 1/7/16
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 16-23: $3M annually
    • annual roster bonus: $0.15M for making active Opening Day roster
    • $6.5M annually in performance bonuses based on games started: $1M each 15, 20 GS. $1.5M each for 25, 30, 32 GS
    • $3.5M annually in performance bonuses based on innings pitched: $0.25M each for 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 IP. $0.75M 200 IP
    • assignment bonus: $1M with each trade
    • becomes a free agent at contract’s end
    • perks: jersey No. 18. Four round-trip business-class airline tickets between Japan and LA annually. Interpreter. Travel expenses, accommodations, visa costs for a player support staff member
  • LA Dodgers paid $20M posting fee to Hiroshima of Japan for right to negotiate with Maeda
  • 2008-15: Hiroshima of Japan
  • agent: Adam Katz, Wasserman Media Group
  • ML service: 1.000

Now, imagine the incentives for Ohtani, to include both pitching and hitting bonuses. 

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Here's a different way that a team could hypothetically skirt the issue to funnel more money to him: If it's really about the money for the player, does it really matter where the paycheck comes from? Imagine this: A hypothetical team approaches its advertising partners to "market" and "promote" him in the stadium and on local broadcasts only. The hypothetical team could reduce the amount it charges to advertise in the stadium to offset the payment to Ohtani, and I don't think the league could do much about it. That way, Ohtani gets his money now, if it's really about the money, and the team stays within the MLB rules. It's not like anyone could complain that there are so many bobbleheads for him, or other give aways, or even other marketing features. And, Ohtani would still be able to pursue any national advertising campaigns for TV commercials and things. It would all be local revenue used to offset the salary.

Just another thought.

Personally, my bet is he wants to be a 2-way star. I've talked with many scouts about him, and almost all of them: 1) see him as a 1-dimensional player for their team (they wouldn't take the risk on him playing in the field or hitting daily and injuring his pitching); and 2) that some team out there will let him play both sides of the game. They all feel that may play a big role in signing him.

Some things in our favor: 1) playing with the greatest American player in our generation may appeal to him; 2) The large Japanese community here; 3) The relatively relaxed and calm environment compared to other teams and markets. 

Some things that work against us: 1) the ridiculously tiny press box which would make it nearly impossible for the Japanese media to keep up on him (if he has any desire to be a global star, especially in Japan, he will care that the associated media can provide him); 2) concerns whether it would upset Trout to have another generational talent possibly becoming the face of the franchise (I wouldn't want to upset Trout to sign Ohtani); 3) payroll issues (could we afford him and Trout long-term); 4) how do we guarantee him ABs without cutting into Pujols' playing time, especially if Upton doesn't opt out (not that anyone on here would complain about it--but we would need a plan, and we would need Scioscia to actually implement the plan).

If we could swing it, sure, I'd love to get him. It's really up to Arte to decide how much he wants to open things up. Personally, I think he should, as it would make the franchise even that much more valuable if he ever wanted to sell it.

San Francisco is probably a perfect fit because of the west coast and has largest Japanese population on the mainland and as Stradling mentioned the shorter trip home. The other thing is the Japanese media circus that will certainly come with him. Not sure if Sosh could go through that again. I can tell you by my Matsuiland experience that Otani would draw plenty of Japanese fans to the games. Angels Matsui jerseys were selling at a record level in Japan as the Japanese fans were very appreciative about the reception he received in Anaheim. Otani would be a pipe dream but would be an amazing acquisition. Eppler should do whatever is necessary to get him in an Angels uniform. 

1 hour ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Some things that work against us: 1) the ridiculously tiny press box which would make it nearly impossible for the Japanese media to keep up on him (if he has any desire to be a global star, especially in Japan, he will care that the associated media can provide him); 

No way this is even a consideration for Ohtani. The media will follow him, no matter whether they have a good press box or not. They may have to sit in the press dining room and watch the game on TV, but that's not Ohtani's problem. 

I'd be surprised if he signed with any team besides the Dodgers, Yankees, Mariners. 

Those are the teams that probably mean something to someone in Japan because of their histories with Japanese players. 

As for the money, it probably will be determined by which market offers him the best endorsement/sponsorship opportunities and which team is best positioned to offer him a mega contract in a year or 18 months. 

MLB can't prevent a team from signing him after his first year. 

5 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No way this is even a consideration for Ohtani. The media will follow him, no matter whether they have a good press box or not. They may have to sit in the press dining room and watch the game on TV, but that's not Ohtani's problem. 

I'd be surprised if he signed with any team besides the Dodgers, Yankees, Mariners. 

Those are the teams that probably mean something to someone in Japan because of their histories with Japanese players. 

As for the money, it probably will be determined by which market offers him the best endorsement/sponsorship opportunities and which team is best positioned to offer him a mega contract in a year or 18 months. 

MLB can't prevent a team from signing him after his first year. 

Hey Jeff, I'm just looking out for you! I still want you to have the space to give us the updates.

I agree that most likely, it will be Dodgers, Yankees, and Mariners in that order that have the best shot at signing him. While I'm sure that Eppler and co. will check the tires on it, I don't think our offer will beat what they will propose.

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Another way to get creative and get around it.  Take a look at Maeda's contract with the Doggies. 

Now, imagine the incentives for Ohtani, to include both pitching and hitting bonuses. 

This is what Eppler has done a lot of recently (Chavez, Calhoun, Revere, Valbuena) so that is fine by me.

2 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They can't do that with his initial deal. It would be viewed as circumventing the rules if they gave him any kind of deal you wouldn't give a normal rookie. 

Right that is my understanding and what I was communicated earlier to GotBeer. I think GB was saying after his 1st year if they give an extension to put performance bonuses in it, which is fine by me.

4 hours ago, Dave Saltzer said:

Some things that work against us: 1) the ridiculously tiny press box which would make it nearly impossible for the Japanese media to keep up on him (if he has any desire to be a global star, especially in Japan, he will care that the associated media can provide him); 2) concerns whether it would upset Trout to have another generational talent possibly becoming the face of the franchise (I wouldn't want to upset Trout to sign Ohtani); ....

I can see the potential concern about two superstars.  But wouldn't it be cool to have the Ruth / Gehrig of the 21st century?

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

They can't do that with his initial deal. It would be viewed as circumventing the rules if they gave him any kind of deal you wouldn't give a normal rookie. 

But unless Cot's is incorrect.  That is Maeda's first contract.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/compensation/cots/nl-west/los-angeles-dodgers/

Kenta Maeda rhp
8 years/$25M (2016-23)

• 8 years/$25M (2016-23)
    • signed by LA Dodgers as a free agent 1/7/16
    • $1M signing bonus
    • 16-23: $3M annually
    • annual roster bonus: $0.15M for making active Opening Day roster
    • $6.5M annually in performance bonuses based on games started: $1M each 15, 20 GS. $1.5M each for 25, 30, 32 GS
    • $3.5M annually in performance bonuses based on innings pitched: $0.25M each for 90, 100, 110, 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170, 180, 190 IP. $0.75M 200 IP
    • assignment bonus: $1M with each trade
    • becomes a free agent at contract’s end
    • perks: jersey No. 18. Four round-trip business-class airline tickets between Japan and LA annually. Interpreter. Travel expenses, accommodations, visa costs for a player support staff member
  • LA Dodgers paid $20M posting fee to Hiroshima of Japan for right to negotiate with Maeda
  • 2008-15: Hiroshima of Japan
  • agent: Adam Katz, Wasserman Media Group
  • ML service: 1.000

With Puig, looks like he signed as a free agent, so maybe the arbitration clause can't be done.  But is there a rule that says you can't give arbitration rights or granted free agency after so many years?  I can understand why it's done sparingly, if ever at all.  It's actually pretty stupid to give those types of clauses to "rookies"  But in the case of some of these international players, they may be "rookies" but they have the experience of a MLB player without having played in the MLB.

19 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Maeda was a true free agent because he was older and it was a different CBA.

Ohtani, under the new rules, is treated just like a 16-year-old Dominican. 

I hope for his sake he doesn't sign with Texas.

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2016/11/17/report-rangers-mlb-investigating-alleged-sexual-assault-teams-dominican-academy