• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How to Sign Shohei Ohtani

Chuck

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

Is there ANY chance we land this guy? 

I want to hear a solid idea of how we possibly can. I'm pretty pessimistic on us even having a chance. 

Since it falls on international pool money.  My money would be on the Mariners, Dodgers, Yankees.  Boston would be out because of how that Matsuzaka situation played out. 

This is the only way I think the Angels have a shot at landing him.  Offer him a 2 year deal, granting him free agency at the end of 2 years. 

34 minutes ago, ettin said:

Actually there is still a maximum $20M posting fee. Any team can offer anywhere between $1 up to the maximum $20M cap placed by MLB. Whomever wins the posting gets exclusive negotiating rights. In the case of a tie, all of the teams tied for the highest posting fee can negotiate.

A player like Otani of course will command $20M bids, probably from every team in MLB. Whoever ultimately signs Otani will be the team that actually pays the posting fee.

And yes Tanaka could be a draw to New York. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if New York signed all three of Darvish, Tanaka, and Otani.

I remembered the Rangers paid a $50M + posting fee just to negotiate with Darvish. That's quite a windfall for his former Japanese team. Insane how much money gets tossed around in professional sports. 

1 hour ago, gotbeer said:

Since it falls on international pool money.  My money would be on the Mariners, Dodgers, Yankees.  Boston would be out because of how that Matsuzaka situation played out. 

This is the only way I think the Angels have a shot at landing him.  Offer him a 2 year deal, granting him free agency at the end of 2 years. 

If they win the posting they control him for 6 full years, three or four of which will be arbitration-controlled just like a normal prospect. There is no way they can let him go into free agency they control him for the six.

1 hour ago, ettin said:

If they win the posting they control him for 6 full years, three or four of which will be arbitration-controlled just like a normal prospect. There is no way they can let him go into free agency they control him for the six.

Then the Angels won't sign him.  Everyone will win the posting, because everyone will post the max.  The reason why the Angels would offer him the opt out is to sign him, hopefully win, and then sign him to a lucrative contract on a winning team.  The reason he may take the offer is to get to the lucrative free agency quicker.  Otherwise, if he's going for 6 years, he will never ever sign with the Angels, and go to a team with history in Japan or to a Japanese owned team. 

24 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Then the Angels won't sign him.  Everyone will win the posting, because everyone will post the max.  The reason why the Angels would offer him the opt out is to sign him, hopefully win, and then sign him to a lucrative contract on a winning team.  The reason he may take the offer is to get to the lucrative free agency quicker.  Otherwise, if he's going for 6 years, he will never ever sign with the Angels, and go to a team with history in Japan or to a Japanese owned team. 

I'm just saying GB that MLB will be watching this process carefully. They are trying to avoid abuse of this posting system and doing these "under-the-table" deals or agreements with someone like him. Even the opt-out deal may raise MLB's ire.

For the record I think offering an opt-out is going to be a very useful tool moving forward, not just for an Otani-type, but others.

It will be one of four teams, The Mariners, The Giants, The Dodgers and The Angels.  I don't know how much international money the Dodgers have but if they have the same amount as the other three mentioned then I would expect them to sign him.  I think he will sign with a west coast team, it cuts 5 hours of flying off of his trip home.  

11 minutes ago, Stradling said:

It will be one of four teams, The Mariners, The Giants, The Dodgers and The Angels.  I don't know how much international money the Dodgers have but if they have the same amount as the other three mentioned then I would expect them to sign him.  I think he will sign with a west coast team, it cuts 5 hours of flying off of his trip home.  

The Rangers are supposedly pretty high on him too and have been acquiring int'l money too.

Sounds as if he wants to hit so would believe AL teams have the leg up with having a DH...pitch then DH for four days...no risk playing him in the field.  Hard to believe any team would allow such an investment to play in the field and pitch.

Idea:  DFA Pujols and promise Otani he's the DH !!!

11 hours ago, ettin said:

I'm just saying GB that MLB will be watching this process carefully. They are trying to avoid abuse of this posting system and doing these "under-the-table" deals or agreements with someone like him. Even the opt-out deal may raise MLB's ire.

For the record I think offering an opt-out is going to be a very useful tool moving forward, not just for an Otani-type, but others.

I can't remember the player.  I think it was another Japanese player, but might have been a Latin player, but someone was given an early opt out deal.  In a similar note, I think it was Puig that was given the ability to opt out into arbitration.  Which might be another way to get around the international cap. 

16 hours ago, ettin said:

Chuck,

I don't think we have the best odds but I also don't think we have the worst odds to sign him.

In our favor: 1) Otani gets to play with another legend Mike Trout, 2) We play in a favorable market and climate, 3) We have a strong Japanese community and base in Los Angeles, 4) From all accounts that I have read, Otani is a quite, reserved, frugal man who may find the less glaring spotlight in Anaheim more attractive, 5) Otani has stated he wants to be a 2-way player (positional and pitching) and we have a definitive need at SP plus we may have an opening in LF (our needs fit his wants).

In our disfavor: 1) We can only offer him, at best $4-5M if, and only if, we obtain our maximum 75% above-cap bonus pool money (which means trading players for cap space, currently we only have about $1.5-2M), 2) Teams like the Dodgers, Mariners, Rangers, Red Sox, and Yankees probably have an organizational attractiveness to them that edges the Angels out, 3) He may prefer an owner or company that is Japanese owned or has at least minority owners who are of Japanese descent (this may or may not be an issue), 4) He may prefer East Coast or Central Divisions to West (who knows?), and 5) probably a host of other reasons I'm unfamiliar with.

I would also note, again, that Otani wears Darvish's number in Japan and may be a fan or admirer of Yu. The team that signs Darvish may have an inside track on Otani as well.

All that being said Chuck I think we would super-luck out if we, by some miracle, acquired him.

Sign Darvish first, then get Otani. 

Trade Cron for an arm or prospect, put Otani at 1B. Upton loves all the activity and doesn't opt out. 

Sick Roster!