• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Victor Rojas: How do you like his play-by-play broadcasts?

Chuck

Victor Rojas: How do you like his play-by-play broadcasts?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Please give a grade and leave a comment if you'd like

• A+
    • A
    • B+
    • B
    • C+
    • C
    • D
    • F

2 hours ago, katrinab said:

i actually like him and Gubi together. i know its not the popular opinion but i think they have great chemistry together

I completely agree. It seems like they genuinely like each other. They also seem to make each other laugh quite a bit. I think they're both terrific. :awesome-smiley-emoticon:

i like victor a lot more than i liked phyz. he does a solid job and i really like his enthusiasm for the angels and for the game. he's informative and usually very interesting.

what i don't like is that there are gaps in his description. there have been too many times where a pitch is thrown and he says nothing. doesn't describe it or even mention if it was a ball or strike. the gaps of silence annoy me quite a bit at times. no one likes dead air on a broadcast, so why not fill it with stories of players, or games, or of his dad?

i agree that he spends too much time talking about silly stuff like favorite bbq joints, but that seems to be in response to gubi bringing it up. a story here or there is fine about these things, but to often it feels like there's some kind of inside joke that only the two of them are privy to. that doesn't make for a good connect with your audience.

i gave him a B.

I like Victor a lot, you can tell he loves baseball and will call guys out on crap, and he isn't like Phys who would sugar coat everything. My only complaint is that it seems Victor is making a lot of mental mistakes this year, calling incorrect names, it's not very often, but as someone who has watched about 75 percent of Angels games over the past 10 years, it seems worse this year for some reason.

17 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Also a fan of Terry Smith and Mark Langston. 

I can't stand Terry Smith.  The dude takes way to long to call plays.  Whenever I have to listen to him, it feels like there are countless times a game that the crowd is already reacting to what has happened on the field and he is still calling it.  It is very annoying.

Also have Extra Innings package, so sometimes get home/away broadcast options.  Will generally select the non-Angels broadcast, mostly because of Goober.  Just can't cope with his incessant rambling, Pujols career stats, and "drive the ball".  I enjoy Victor's crisp and candid PBP delivery, but not enough to tolerate Goober.  Best overall pair IMO is Berthiaume and Brenly (Dbacks). 

I would rate him as a solid A, and believe he could grow into an A+. I hold the A+ in reserve for those with so much longevity that they are bringing in all sorts of team historical perspectives. If Victor is here another 5-10 years, he could move into that A+ ratings. 

Things that he does incredibly well: multi-tasks and runs multimedia and the broadcasts, shows emotion, calls out players for bad plays, has a sense of humor, interacts with fans, and calls things out the way they are. You can definitely tell what he would like to say at times but can't, and it makes the broadcast even better. 

If he's here (which I hope he is) for another 5-10 years, where he becomes THE voice for the team (and hopefully calls a world series or two for us), then I'd move him up to the A+. For me, that rating has more to do with longevity than with his skill. He has the talent to be an A+ announcer, and I want hi  around for many more years to see him earn it. 

I like Vic more and more every year for a variety of reasons. He's obviously a good guy. I like that he isn't afraid of criticizing a player after making a bad play/pitch. Also, now that it is easier to hear out-of-town announcers, I consider him about as good as it gets. Even his voice sounds much better than most other announcers. Watch MLB network's highlights when they include the game announcers' broadcasts and you'll realize how bad and/or boring they are.  

Gubizca is way below average. One thing I do like is when he analyzes a pitch(er).The guy knows what he's talking about.

As for the combo, I like their knowledge of trivial "retro" pop-culture. 

6 hours ago, Adam said:

Oh man Langston is awful IMO. Radio broadcast is tough to listen to. 

I can't listen on the radio because of him. Thought he was terrible when he began so I stopped listening. Read a post earlier this year from someone saying how much he's improved, so I gave him a try.

They were wrong. 

Edited by Lou

I gave Victor a B+.  I think he does a solid job.  However, there are times when he allows the announcing / commentary to stray from the game  action too long.  He is responsible for controlling the narrative, in my opinion.  I don't have an issue with him and Gubi interacting on different subjects, they just need to remember that the main dish is the game and what is happening on the field.  It reminds me of what happened at King's games the first season with Gretsky.  People would come to the game because, well, Gretsky.  Sitting around us were wives talking about their kids, or kids talking about their Geometry class assignments, all while the game was happening right in front of them.  And this was back when there were no nets in the Stadium.

8 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Huge fan of Vic's best PBP guy we have had in a long long time.  My buddy in Boston, hard core Red Sox prick first started watching Angels games cause of Trout, but he's always telling me he finds himself tuning in a lot of times because he's grown to like Victor so much, even more so after they cut loose Don Orsillo (who is great and does Padres games now).

Remember all the rumors that Orsillo was coming here?