• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Upton's defense

Erstad Grit

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Where has that defense been so far here?

Maybe the defense hasn't shown up so far with the Angels, but being able to insert a legitimate #3 hitter between Trout and Pujols makes a big difference.  Wouldn't you know that Pujols would go lame after a 13-26 stint, let's hope he can continue for the next 3+ weeks.  We need everyone on board to make the Wild Card spot.  I'd like to see a little more offense from Phillips as well.  I'm also a little worried about these little mini slumps Trout keeps running into, he's obviously a really great player and this is the time to show it.  Overall, Upton's a big improvement over what we got from Maybin.  It will be interesting to see how left field plays out in the off season.

4 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:

Errors aren't really a great metric

Is there a defensive metric you do put value in?  DRS maybe? http://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=lf&stats=fld&lg=all&qual=y&type=1&season=2017&month=0&season1=2017&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0   He grades out well there..

He seems to rank well in a lot of the advance defensive metrics this year -- so, it may just be a case of a guy getting used to a new park and the lighting.  Dunno.  I havent seen enough of him to have an opinion as to whether or not he passes the eye test.

12 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

We've had him for a week guys.  He lost one in the sun today, it happens.  He'll be fine. 

He's got to get used to playing with Trout, Revere and EY Jr. in center as well.  Not sure, but I think EY Jr. should have passed behind him as a backup on the lost sun ball rather than almost cutting in front of him.  It kind of set up a partial distraction.  Then again maybe he called EY off a little too late, I dunno.  It was an awkward play on both.  He's made some nice throws from left even though the were against runners a little too fast to throw out.  I don't see his defense as a long term problem.  I actually have more confidence in him than Maybin.  Maybin has more speed but runs some really crazy routes.  

Also he hasn't misplayed 1-2 a game, that's fan speak for I saw him make an error once or twice in six games.  

its funny because we've had Maybin, Upton and Revere out there this year and none of them look super confident out there.  I will say that Maybin made a handful of nice sliding catches for us.  I'm sure we will get to see Upton's arm cut down a run before this season is over. 

1 hour ago, tomsred said:

No one cares to comment on the nice running catch late in the game, the solid two RBI double that put the Angels ahead, or the great read on the pitch that allowed him to score in the eighth?  He doesn't seem like a space cadet to me.

What the hell? Get out of here with that positive crap.

damn rookie ...

17 minutes ago, Lou said:

What the hell? Get out of here with that positive crap.

damn rookie ...

Don't worry, all the flotsam will return soon enough.  It's like the sea surge in Hurricane Irma, goes out with each win, but comes back soon enough with a lot of stinky garbage when a loss is posted.  I guess we are in for a good drowning when the Angels are eliminated, LOL.  I'll make sure I am in a shelter on that day.

3 hours ago, tomsred said:

No one cares to comment on the nice running catch late in the game, the solid two RBI double that put the Angels ahead, or the great read on the pitch that allowed him to score in the eighth?  He doesn't seem like a space cadet to me.

No one has said he isn't a good player overall. He just seems to lose focus out there more than most players. It's happened about 4 times since we've acquired him. He's dropped a couple and misplayed a couple more

I don't think it's some kind of huge deal. It's just a little strange to see from an all star veteran player in his prime