• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How about working on some trades for temporary relief?

Chuck

Meaning, trade for some bullpen help. I know we won't be able to use said help acquired in a trade in the playoffs should we get in, but any help at this stage would be great. 

Thoughts?

You'd have to think that there's some teams that want some $$$ relief from now until the end of the season that would unload a reliever since they're out of contention. 

Would have been nice to pull the trigger on a deal like the Cardinals did today... I feel like we have waaaaaaaaaay too many inexperienced bullpen arms.

Cardinals acquired RHP Juan Nicasio from the Phillies for INF Eliezer Alvarez.

Philadelphia claimed Nicasio off waivers from the Pirates on August 31, giving up nothing in return, and will now flip the 31-year-old reliever to St. Louis for a young infield prospect. Nicasio boasts a 2.79 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, and 61/18 K/BB ratio in 61 1/3 innings this season and he gives the Cardinals' bullpen a much-needed upgrade. He will not, however, be eligible for the playoffs if the Cardinals make it there.

Well for what it's worth I think Eppler is trying...
Ramirez, Gurka, Guerra, Wood, Diaz, and Salas all added (in some way) over the past week, several from outside the org. 

Still a lot of recently DFAed arms out there right now. And I do think our pitching will come around, it's just slumping hard right now. Ideally when that happens the offense doesn't go ice cold.

1 minute ago, totdprods said:

Well for what it's worth I think Eppler is trying...
Ramirez, Gurka, Guerra, Wood, Diaz, and Salas all added (in some way) over the past week, several from outside the org. 

Still a lot of recently DFAed arms out there right now. And I do think our pitching will come around, it's just slumping hard right now. Ideally when that happens the offense doesn't go ice cold.

Seriously. What they have been doing is a special kind of awful. No major league pitcher is as bad as what they have been doing. Even if you have basically no faith in our starters, you HAVE to believe that at some point they will regress to some sort of norm.

10 minutes ago, krAbs said:

Seriously. What they have been doing is a special kind of awful. No major league pitcher is as bad as what they have been doing. Even if you have basically no faith in our starters, you HAVE to believe that at some point they will regress to some sort of norm.

And I think for awhile this season they definitely had good fortune with pitching. 

No one expected Bud Norris, David Hernandez, Yusmeiro Petit, JC Ramirez, Parker Bridwell, Keynan Middleton, or Blake Parker to be as good as they were for most of the season. I don't think that group is as good as they were, nor or is the group now as bad as we're seeing. 

To have Richards, Heaney, and Skaggs in our end of year rotation is a step up from where we've been. The September depth is another plus.

They have not been awful till recently.  And its very obvious they are gassed from overwork.  Maybe not in innings but in constant use. 

FACT, we still have the 6th highest overall staff ERA in the AL and the 6th lowest BAA. 
Starters are 7th in ERA and 8th in BAA
Relievers are 11th in ERA and 5th in BAA
None of that is terrible even if some have had some rough outings.  

That staff is the reason we are where we are, not the offense which is mired in the bottom 10 in AVG/OPS/ETC...   In fairness post all star break they are 14th in AVG, 12th in OPS and 7th in runs scored.   

Small sample but in Sep to date we are 2nd in runs scored, 4th in avg, and 5th in ops while the pitching is now in the bottom 10, a complete role reversal. 

30 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Meaning, trade for some bullpen help. I know we won't be able to use said help acquired in a trade in the playoffs should we get in, but any help at this stage would be great. 

Thoughts?

You'd have to think that there's some teams that want some $$$ relief from now until the end of the season that would unload a reliever since they're out of contention. 

My thoughts are that the SP needs to go more than 3 innings..  The RP is looking bad because they are being asked to go 6+ innings a night.  

6 minutes ago, floplag said:

They have not been awful till recently.  And its very obvious they are gassed from overwork.  Maybe not in innings but in constant use. 

FACT, we still have the 6th highest overall staff ERA in the AL and the 6th lowest BAA. 
Starters are 7th in ERA and 8th in BAA
Relievers are 11th in ERA and 5th in BAA
None of that is terrible even if some have had some rough outings.  

That staff is the reason we are where we are, not the offense which is mired in the bottom 10 in AVG/OPS/ETC...   In fairness post all star break they are 14th in AVG, 12th in OPS and 7th in runs scored.   

Small sample but in Sep to date we are 2nd in runs scored, 4th in avg, and 5th in ops while the pitching is now in the bottom 10, a complete role reversal. 

Where are you getting your data..  it's not at all matching up with the info I have

I have the BP ERA as 6th lowest in MLB, their BAA 8th.
I have the SP ERA as 14th overall in MLB, their BAA 15th.

The problem our SP has had all year...  .459 SLG% allowed... 22nd in MLB.   The bullpen has been really good

8 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Where are you getting your data..  it's not at all matching up with the info I have

I have the BP ERA as 6th lowest in MLB, their BAA 8th.
I have the SP ERA as 14th overall in MLB, their BAA 15th.

The problem our SP has had all year...  .459 SLG% allowed... 22nd in MLB.   The bullpen has been really good

EDIT:  i pulled for AL only, not all MLB. 
Edit2:  if you look only at the AL, they are 6th in SLG allowed, still not terrible
Pulled it off ESPN stats pages, first overall then split by pre/port ASB then just for Sep. 
I suppose its possible i could have misread something but those findings back up other data posted here earlier in the season
Feel free to double check me it wouldnt be the first time i misread something but we all know we were till recently winning due to pitching not hitting. 

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

Pulled it off ESPN stats pages, first overall then split by pre/port ASB then just for Sep. 
I suppose its possible i could have misread something but those findings back up other data posted here earlier in the season
Feel free to double check me it wouldnt be the first time i misread something but we all know we were till recently winning due to pitching not hitting. 

Yeah, not sure which of the splits you may have had up when you listed the numbers -- doesn't really matter your point stands.  Anyway, the numbers I posted are the overall numbers for the SP and RP respectively this far in 2017 ...   also from ESPN..  

The park weighted data would bring the Angels overall rankings down a bit, but overall the pitching has amazingly held it's own.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, not sure which of the splits you may have had up when you listed the numbers -- doesn't really matter your point stands.  Anyway, the numbers I posted are the overall numbers for the SP and RP respectively this far in 2017 ...   also from ESPN..  

The park weighted data would bring the Angels overall rankings down a bit, but overall the pitching has amazingly held it's own.

Edited my original, the difference is you used all MLB, I used AL only.  I never compare pitching cross league, its not really valid to me as it isnt apples to apples without inflating NL stats.  

Bottom line the arms got us here, the bats need to bring it home cause those guys are tired. 

Just now, floplag said:

Edited my original, the difference is you used all MLB, I used AL only.  I never compare pitching cross league, its not really valid to me as it isnt apples to apples without inflating NL stats.  

Actually ...  I see what you're doing.   You have the ERA ranked from worst to first -- Thus your ranking the bullpen 11th and not 5th.   That's the number that stuck out as completely off base.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/order/false

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Actually ...  I see what you're doing.   You have the ERA ranked from worst to first -- Thus your ranking the bullpen 11th and not 5th.   That's the number that stuck out as completely off base.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/stats/team/_/stat/pitching/split/128/league/al/order/false

Bottom line i think were saying the same thing aside from the fact that you used all MLB and i did AL only.   Arms have not been the problem either way.