• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: Ben Revere calmly strokes the winning hit for Angels in 10th

AngelsWin.com

OAKLAND — Ben Revere admitted in a postgame TV interview that the situation he faced in the 10th inning on Tuesday night is one that, when he was young, might have made him a little nervous.

To be precise, nervous enough to “almost” soil himself “a little.”

Fortunately for the Angels, Revere is now 29 years old and a veteran of parts of eight big league seasons and one postseason. He’s also learned relaxation techniques from a 14-year-old buddy movie.

After Revere’s single in the 10th put the Angels on top in their 8-7 victory over the Oakland A’s, he explained.

“Just take deep breaths,” he said. “Wooosah style a little bit. Let the game come to you.”

Revere was referring to the meditation phrase he saw repeated in Bad Boys 2, the 2003 Will Smith-Martin Lawrence movie.

The point is, Revere was able to calm himself enough to poke a 3-and-2 pitch from Blake Treinen into left field, just barely out of the reach of diving Matt Joyce.

When it dropped, the Angels had taken the lead in the rollercoaster game, and Revere had gotten back a little more of the luck he felt he was so lacking when it seemed all his line drives were finding gloves in the first half.

“I got some hits and I got some confidence back, and I feel like I can get back to my normal self,” Revere said.

Revere’s hit was the last one, but the biggest ones came from C.J. Cron, who been one of the keys to the Angels’ recently robust offense.

Cron hit a go-ahead two-run homer in the sixth, followed by a triple to drive in the go-ahead run in the eighth, followed by a single just before Revere’s hit in the 10th.

Cron has hit .305 with 12 homers since the All-Star break. Now that the Angels have added Brandon Phillips and Justin Upton, Cron is hitting eighth in the lineup.

“Right now our lineup is much deeper, and he might seem like an afterthought, but he’s important to us,” Scioscia said. “He’s hitting the ball hard.”

View the full article

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

For some reason I thought Ben Revere was a lot older than 29.

He's been around forever -- I know he'd like to get another starting gig but they really should be talking to him about bringing him back in his current role.   I don't want him at the top of the order, but as a speed guy, PH, he's a pretty decent option.

The Angels need a new Orlando Palmiero.  

19 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He's been around forever -- I know he'd like to get another starting gig but they really should be talking to him about bringing him back in his current role.   I don't want him at the top of the order, but as a speed guy, PH, he's a pretty decent option.

He could also keep your regular OF'ers fresh (hopefully that includes Upton next year)....a legit 4th OF'er, unlike some of the guys we've been running out there the last couple of years....

55 minutes ago, DMVol said:

He could also keep your regular OF'ers fresh (hopefully that includes Upton next year)....a legit 4th OF'er, unlike some of the guys we've been running out there the last couple of years....

Thats why I referenced Orlando Palmiero.    Palmiero didn't hit for any power at all..  but he could play all over the OF, he got on base, he made contact and when he got on base he could be counted on to go 1st to 3rd and do all the little crap that nobody puts any attention to but non-regulars always tend to mess up.   Revere wouldn't milk walks like OP did, but he's a pretty sure bet for a .275 average and when he does reach base he makes crap happen.  He's the perfect guy for that role on this team, but he may want a bigger role and may be able to get that elsewhere.  I do hope he comes back.

16 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Revere would be nice to keep as a 4th outfield, pinch hitter/runner guy but he may be able to land a starting job elsewhere, guess we'll see....

You would think he'd have options but not sure what was out there for him last offseason....I don't think he had many other options besides us...

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Palmiero is kind of the answer to which players improved after age 29. He wasn't really a starter but racked up over 100 games played from age 30-38 and held a career .351 obp. 

Ben Revere had far more success before age 29 but he would definitely be an OP kind of important part of the team if he accepted the role.

2 hours ago, CanadianHalo said:

Revere would be nice to keep as a 4th outfield, pinch hitter/runner guy but he may be able to land a starting job elsewhere, guess we'll see.

Nice to see this board finally coming around on him!

I don't really think there has been anyone that was opposed to Revere as a reserve OFer....   The belief he's a legit leadoff hitter --- that's a different story.