• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

OC Register: After 5 months, Garrett Richards is set to return to Angels rotation on Tuesday

AngelsWin.com

ARLINGTON, Texas — Garrett Richards is past the point of being just a hope or a maybe.

After Richards successfully passed his final test with a bullpen session on Saturday, the Angels announced that he will start on Tuesday in Oakland, It will be his first big league game since he pitched — coincidentally — in Oakland on April 5.

“I’m obviously excited,” Richards said. “I’ve been waiting for this day for a while now. I’ve put in a lot of work. A lot of time. I’ve been pretty patient. I’m just excited about playing baseball.”

Richards has missed almost the entire season with biceps nerve irritation, a rare condition that frustrated Richards because for most of the time he was out he was pain free.

The Angels moved him slowly, keeping him from even throwing until the All-Star break. After his first start in the minors, last Wednesday, the signs were apparently good enough to accelerate the process.

Manager Mike Scioscia had said they wanted Richards to get up to at least 60 pitches before he came back, but he threw only 40 in what will be the only game of his rehab assignment.

“This was really driven from our medical department,” Scioscia said. “They’ve turned this thing inside out and they feel very comfortable he’s not at risk. He’s past this. He’s throwing the ball as well as he ever has. He just doesn’t have quite the stamina he has if he pitched all year. We’ll see where he goes Tuesday.”

Richards said Scioscia told him he’ll be on a 50-pitch limit. After that, he could increase his pitch-count each time he starts. Richards could get as many six starts in the regular season, which would be plenty of time to get up to a standard 100 pitches by the end.

How effective he will be after missing so much time remains to be seen, but Richards is counting on being the guy the Angels viewed as their ace.

“In my eyes, I’m back to who I am,” he said. “I don’t notice any difference in my delivery or my action in my stuff. I am ready to compete again. I have full confidence in going out and giving us a good start.”

View the full article

Interesting that they are mapping out his return with the thought he'd be good to go 100 pitches in a wild card game. If this was May they would have his ass in A ball making a rehab. With the lackluster rotation and pennant race they figure his spring training workup is best done is a playoff race. 

Crazy crazy year. 

3 hours ago, red321 said:

Interesting that they are mapping out his return with the thought he'd be good to go 100 pitches in a wild card game. If this was May they would have his ass in A ball making a rehab. With the lackluster rotation and pennant race they figure his spring training workup is best done is a playoff race. 

Crazy crazy year. 

Because this strategy has worked so well with Heaney and Skaggs and totally isn't backfiring at all.