• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Hurricane Irma

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

And from this point forward.  Whenever it starts raining, that dude can say to his friends, "Rain, this is nothing.  I remember when I caught a fish this big during a hurricane.  You pussies."

4 hours ago, Jason said:

When you really love fishing it can be like an addiction 

"The sea was angry that day my friends. Like an old man trying to send soup back at a deli. I got about 50 feet out and suddenly the great beast appeared before me. I tell you he was ten stories high if he was a foot"

9 hours ago, LHalo said:

To me, there was no more beautiful and relaxing place on earth than St John. Sure, it is a pain in the ass to get to, but that's what makes it so worth it. I hope that in the years to come, St. John will be reborn. So much of what made it special is gone and cannot be repaired or replaced. I look forward to returning.

Hurricane Maria may deliver the knockout blow to the US Virgin Islands. They are trying to evacuate St. John for fear of mudslides. FEMA, US Navy, US Coast Guard, National Guard all packing up and getting out of Dodge before the shit hits the fan again. Almost unfathomable what could occur there.

My sister (in Jacksonville) said that a lot of shingles blew off the house and there was some damage to the fence. Her best friend had a tree crash through her roof while she was at work. She said that the heavy flooding was due to the fact that a previous weather system had backed up the St. John's River just before the storm hit. The additional rain created flood stages that were ten feet above the previous record (during Hurricane Dora in 1964). Some parts of Jacksonville are still flooded, and many are without power. My sister said that power in her neighborhood was out for less than 24 hours, so they were fortunate. A high school friend who lives in another part of town said that they are still running a generator.

10 minutes ago, Vegas Halo Fan said:

I feel badly for the people living in areas that were devastated by Irma and who are trying to eke out an existence until they can rebuild, then here comes another Cat 5 along pretty much the same path.

That creates a big problem, a Catch-22. Tourism is what their economy is based on, and no one wants to vacation in a disaster area. Without tourism, people will be afraid to invest in restaurants, hotels, and stores. Without them, no one will come, and the cruise ships go elsewhere.

The USVI were running on fumes before this. Don't know how you bounce back.

42 minutes ago, NJHalo said:

That creates a big problem, a Catch-22. Tourism is what their economy is based on, and no one wants to vacation in a disaster area. Without tourism, people will be afraid to invest in restaurants, hotels, and stores. Without them, no one will come, and the cruise ships go elsewhere.

The USVI were running on fumes before this. Don't know how you bounce back.

Good points, all. I don't know the answer. As far as I know, this is unprecedented.

The USVI really relied heavily on natural beauty. All of that has been stripped clean. Going to be terribly difficult to rebuild, let alone attract tourists. I'm thinking it'll take 2+ years until those islands are able to return to normal tourism.

the island of Barbuda is pretty much destroyed. Not sure it's even inhabitable.