• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cliff Lee

I saw a story on CBSSports regarding pitchers that may become available in trade.  Cliff Lee was on the list.  Got me thinking.  Weaver should be back soon.  CJ Wilson is a solid #2 or #3.  Vargas has been pretty good as a #3 or #4.  If Philly decides to rebuild now that Halladay is f'ed and made Lee available to get rid of his salary, would you want the Halos to get him (or at least make an offer)?.  Now, keep in mind that not every team will be willing to take on his $25 mil per, and I would think that part of the benefit of trading Lee is getting out of his contract, so maybe the minor league compensation wouldn't have to be sterling.  Thoughts?

Well, pitching is this teams problem, so it would help to have Cliff Lee in the rotation.  The Angels have nothing worth a damn to trade, so this would be basically the Angels taking on his full contract for pretty much nothing else.

If the Phillies are willing to do it, sure - why not?

Weaver

Lee

Wilson

Vargas

Hanson

Isn't horrible.

Yeah that's all we need, another $25M a year guy in his mid thirties.  We're a lot further away than one good SP to make any worthwhile headway.  And why would the Phillies just give him away?  They're one of the most profitiable franchises in baseball and aren't exactly hurting for money. 

Yeah that's all we need, another $25M a year guy in his mid thirties.  We're a lot further away than one good SP to make any worthwhile headway.  And why would the Phillies just give him away?  They're one of the most profitiable franchises in baseball and aren't exactly hurting for money. 

Exactly. Also, they're about to hit the jackpot with their new tv contract that is rumored to rival or top the Dodgers deal. 

I didn't say that I want to do it.  Just wanted to see what others thought.  Adding $25 million to the payroll would put us into the luxury tax, and I suppose that is Arte's decision if he wanted to do that.  The Phillies may not be considering even making Lee available, although he was put through waivers last season if I remember correctly, and the Dodgers made a run at him.  That just goes to show that, although there are many teams who would love to have him in the rotation, there are very few who will take on the salary to do it while giving up prospects.  An interesting proposition if nothing else.

I will say that if the Angels were to make a deal for Lee, we would increase our chances of winning games and that is, typically, never a bad thing.

It would still take a LOT to get him, because he's only due some $60 million through 2015 (as of late July 2013), with a $15 million option for 2016.

Pass, otherwise we will have NOTHING left on the farm, plus no more huge yearly contracts please.

It would take something like Cowart, Cron, Maronde, and Sappington to get him anyway, because he's still really good (low WHIP and HRs allowed, and ridiculous Ks/BBs ratio).