• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Let's get Verlander...

Chuck

I was one of the first to advocate for getting Verlander, not just because of how he could have helped this year but also going forward.

That being said, the Astros gave up quite a bit to get him. Much more than I expected. Not sure the Angels coyld have made a deal without giving up one or two of Jones, Adell or Marsh.

Meh...

I was happy with the effort they did make, not sure Verlander makes the difference for us.   Lets assume all four of his starts would have gone from losses to wins...   the Angels still finish behind the Twins for the final WC spot..   Going 10-17 means the Twins 14-14 September was enough to keep them ahead..   He gets no post-season heroics if he doesn't get to the postseason...  and he wouldn't have.

Its good for Houston that it's worked out for them but we took our shot..   No complaints.

2 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Meh...

I was happy with the effort they did make, not sure Verlander makes the difference for us.   Lets assume all four of his starts would have gone from losses to wins...   the Angels still finish behind the Twins for the final WC spot..   Going 10-17 means the Twins 14-14 September was enough to keep them ahead..   He gets no post-season heroics if he doesn't get to the postseason...  and he wouldn't have.

Its good for Houston that it's worked out for them but we took our shot..   No complaints.

I guess if you look at it that way, I'm fine with it.

The greedy side of me would have liked the Angels to land both Upton and Verlander, but yeah we'd probably gut our farm severely. 

I think if we added the two we'd be in the playoffs for sure. 

The part that sucks is there isn't any frontline SP's via free agency out there and I doubt that Arte opens up his wallet for Darvish who has been both inconsistent and injury prone, though he does have ace, frontline stuff. 

I guess we're going to have to hope Richards takes it to the next level and stays healthy and two of Shoemaker-Skaggs-Heaney-Bridwell-Tropeano have solid campaigns. I also wonder if Barria will be an option in 2018 out of ST if he turns a lot of heads. 

2 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Meh...

You should add the two losses we had against Verlander pitching against us.

On 8/30/2017 at 5:03 PM, AngelsLakersFan said:

I remember calling for him when I think it was Doc started that thread about under performing large contracts. His underlying indicators looked sound - maybe not top of the rotation sound, but better than anyone we have been throwing out there this year. It'd be nice to have a guy who we could count on for 200 better than league average innings. It's not like there is someone like that on the FA market. 

I'll once again pat myself on the back.

2 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I guess if you look at it that way, I'm fine with it.

The greedy side of me would have liked the Angels to land both Upton and Verlander, but yeah we'd probably gut our farm severely. 

I think if we added the two we'd be in the playoffs for sure. 

The part that sucks is there isn't any frontline SP's via free agency out there and I doubt that Arte opens up his wallet for Darvish who has been both inconsistent and injury prone, though he does have ace, frontline stuff. 

I guess we're going to have to hope Richards takes it to the next level and stays healthy and two of Shoemaker-Skaggs-Heaney-Bridwell-Tropeano have solid campaigns. I also wonder if Barria will be an option in 2018 out of ST if he turns a lot of heads. 

I don't think Darvish liked his last couple seasons in Texas. This season for sure he was mailing it in and still pitched well for that bandbox.

He goes to the Dodgers and suddenly he us the Yu of old and unlike most of the playoff pitchers, he has provided quality starts. I'm pretty sure the Dodgers are going to lock him up. 

Edited by Blarg

2 hours ago, Dick B Back said:

Just a quick reminder that pitching wasn't the problem.

Well technically -- everything but the pen went to crap at some point in September..

1 hour ago, stormngt said:

You should add the two losses we had against Verlander pitching against us.

Why?  those were losses for us...  Turn them into wins -- it's still only four starts.   The starts lined up perfectly -- it would have been four less losses -- not 6 more wins.

On 10/21/2017 at 1:22 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Well technically -- everything but the pen went to crap at some point in September..

Why?  those were losses for us...  Turn them into wins -- it's still only four starts.   The starts lined up perfectly -- it would have been four less losses -- not 6 more wins.

I guess we were of lost to Astros anyway...right?