• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Wreckage of the USS Indianapolis found

Tank

32 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

I am surprised there aren't more troop transports listed that went down in the Atlantic.  I thought that that was a major target of the of the uboats.

Youd think so. But i think oilers, and material ships were more peime targets. Id also venture to guess big troop ships didnt start going over until late 42 or so. After that, wed gotten a little better st protecting the convoys.

This thread has me reading up on ships sunk in ww2. Apparently, at the end of the war, 4 u boats surrendered on the east coast. One had uranium on board, being delivered to japan. Supposedly we used it in one of the bombs.

No idea if thats true, id never heard it before. But if it is, wow....irony, eh?

Wonder if vladdylonglegs knows.

10 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

This thread has me reading up on ships sunk in ww2. Apparently, at the end of the war, 4 u boats surrendered on the east coast. One had uranium on board, being delivered to japan. Supposedly we used it in one of the bombs.

No idea if thats true, id never heard it before. But if it is, wow....irony, eh?

Wonder if vladdylonglegs knows.

There were a few that surrendered to Argentina months after the war.  There was speculation that one of them actually dropped off Hitler before surrendering.  I didn't believe those rumors  until I started to watch the series "Hunting Hitler" on the History Channel.  They make a compelling case that Hitler did survive the war and died in South America a very old man.  I strongly recommend watching that show.

39 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

There were a few that surrendered to Argentina months after the war.  There was speculation that one of them actually dropped off Hitler before surrendering.  I didn't believe those rumors  until I started to watch the series "Hunting Hitler" on the History Channel.  They make a compelling case that Hitler did survive the war and died in South America a very old man.  I strongly recommend watching that show.

Ill give it a whirl, because i love history docs. But i wouldnt fall for it too much...the history channel, sadly, is all ratings driven these days. And if you want to, you can make a compelling argument for just about anything.

A bunch of nazis did for sure though.

38 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Ill give it a whirl, because i love history docs. But i wouldnt fall for it too much...the history channel, sadly, is all ratings driven these days. And if you want to, you can make a compelling argument for just about anything.

I would agree on most of the shows on the channel, but this show is a little different.  The show is basically a worldwide investigation that goes through mountains of info from declassified FBI reports, Allied interrogations with Nazi's immediately after the war, the discovery of secret Nazi bases throughout Europe and South America and the list goes on. The stuff they discover is fascinating and for the most part, unknown until now.  The research team includes a former CIA veteran, a war crimes investigator, a former US Marshal and former special ops member to name a few.  Stalin himself mentioned to Truman that he believed Hitler made it out alive and I believe governments knew also.

The show made me a Vladdylongle......I mean, believer.

7 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I would agree on most of the shows on the channel, but this show is a little different.  The show is basically a worldwide investigation that goes through mountains of info from declassified FBI reports, Allied interrogations with Nazi's immediately after the war, the discovery of secret Nazi bases throughout Europe and South America and the list goes on. The stuff they discover is fascinating and for the most part, unknown until now.  The research team includes a former CIA veteran, a war crimes investigator, a former US Marshal and former special ops member to name a few.  Stalin himself mentioned to Truman that he believed Hitler made it out alive and I believe governments knew also.

The show made me a Vladdylongle......I mean, believer.

When does Season 3 start?!?!?!

14 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

i wish they would go back to showing things about history. it seems like american pickers is being aired about 23 hours each day, with the other hour being filled with the pawn shop and their scripted  crap.

it's become a very useless channel.

1 hour ago, Tank said:

i wish they would go back to showing things about history. it seems like american pickers is being aired about 23 hours each day, with the other hour being filled with the pawn shop and their scripted  crap.

it's become a very useless channel.

I agree.  I don't watch most of the shows on the channel unless it's history related (you would think most would be with the channel title of "History Channel").

25 minutes ago, IEAngelsfan said:

I agree.  I don't watch most of the shows on the channel unless it's history related (you would think most would be with the channel title of "History Channel").

it's like animal planet having a series about building tree houses, which is an interesting series, but it has nothing to do with the animal world.

Who knows if hitler made it out. But its hard to believe. He was pretty beat up at the end. Parkinsons had wrecked him, he was senile, and a drug addict (big time). He was last seen in public maybe a day or so before he is said ro have died, and he looked like shit.

The soviets had already cut the city off at that point. I just imagine if he did have a way out, guys like goerring would have gotten out, too (insfead of gling to the war crimes trials). I also imagine goebils especially would have fled. But he killed himself, wife and like 6 kids in the bunker.

Like I said earlier, I didn't believe he made it out and had a closed mind to the idea.  The lead investigator himself initially believed he died in the bunker and is now convinced he made it out.

The Soviets did have the city surrounded, but a few pilots landed and took off during the siege.  The Berlin airport was still controlled by the Germans.  Difficult to pull off, but not impossible. There were miles and miles of underground tunnels and one tunnel entrance was a few feet away from the bunker.  One tunnel led to the airport.

The war was over and people and governments wanted to move on.  They wanted closure.  The last thing anyone wanted was Hitler to still be alive.

Watch the show and you may still think he died in the bunker or you may be like me and now have strong doubts he died in Berlin.

4 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Like I said earlier, I didn't believe he made it out and had a closed mind to the idea.  The lead investigator himself initially believed he died in the bunker and is now convinced he made it out.

The Soviets did have the city surrounded, but a few pilots landed and took off during the siege.  The Berlin airport was still controlled by the Germans.  Difficult to pull off, but not impossible. There were miles and miles of underground tunnels and one tunnel entrance was a few feet away from the bunker.  One tunnel led to the airport.

The war was over and people and governments wanted to move on.  They wanted closure.  The last thing anyone wanted was Hitler to still be alive.

Watch the show and you may still think he died in the bunker or you may be like me and now have strong doubts he died in Berlin.

I think they definitely take some creative liberties, and even with a huge grain of salt, it's not hard to get drawn in. I think it's an absolutely fascinating show. We think of Nazis one way. They were harbored and supported in much of South America. There are a ton of structures that you could close your eyes and envision the creation of the Fourth Reich. 

1 minute ago, AngelsLongBall said:

I think they definitely take some creative liberties, and even with a huge grain of salt, it's not hard to get drawn in. I think it's an absolutely fascinating show. We think of Nazis one way. They were harbored and supported in much of South America. There are a ton of structures that you could close your eyes and envision the creation of the Fourth Reich. 

Yeah, there are some dramatic effects going on since they still have to get the ratings.  That still doesn't diminish the info they've discovered.  Hitler's body was never found (it's been proven that the body the Soviets had is not Hitler).

Juan Peron, who was the president of Argentina, was a big supporter of Hitler.  There were rumors that he supplied German U-boats during the war.  That's why many Nazi's fled there.  Heck, take a look at pics of the armies of Chile and Argentina during the 40's and early 50's.  They were German equipped and looked like the German Army.

12 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Yeah, there are some dramatic effects going on since they still have to get the ratings.  That still doesn't diminish the info they've discovered.  Hitler's body was never found (it's been proven that the body the Soviets had is not Hitler).

Juan Peron, who was the president of Argentina, was a big supporter of Hitler.  There were rumors that he supplied German U-boats during the war.  That's why many Nazi's fled there.  Heck, take a look at pics of the armies of Chile and Argentina during the 40's and early 50's.  They were German equipped and looked like the German Army.S

Didn't they just bust someone in Argentina for having a shit ton of Nazi stuff?  So much so, that they are saying it's further proof the Nazi's fled to Argentina. 

3 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Didn't they just bust someone in Argentina for having a shit ton of Nazi stuff?  So much so, that they are saying it's further proof the Nazi's fled to Argentina. 

Yup, below is the link to an article of what was discovered.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/20/533675156/photos-trove-of-nazi-artifacts-uncovered-in-argentina

The Germans even built towns resembling Bavarian towns that harbored Nazi war criminals.

http://www.tabletmag.com/jewish-news-and-politics/170529/bariloche-nazi-haven