• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia's handling of the BP

Chuck

19 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Bringing in Bedrock to face the powerful Caleb Joseph and his 8 homers.  That's like bringing in Mariano Rivera in the 6th inning because Pennington homered earlier in the game.

Will you stop saying that?  It's silly.

It's true. 

The 3 most reliable reliable relievers currently are Bedrosian, Petit and Parker. Everyone can agree on that.

Scioscia's plan was to get 12 outs out of those 3 relievers. Petit is the only one who has been used for multi innings. 

So it's pretty clear the right move is some combination of Petit for 2 and the others for 1 each. That seems incontrovertible. 

So the question now is what order they pitch. I can't claim to understand exactly why he used them in the order he did, but I suspect it had to do with a deeper dive into the matchups (more than just "the bottom of the order is bad") and potential pinch hitters than any of us know. 

To me, the most legit criticism is why didn't he leave Petit in? He had allowed an infield hit in the 8th, a bloop single and a borderline walk in the 9th. The Orioles were not hitting him hard. Plus, he's less likely to give up a homer, so it's going to take them 4-5 more batters to string together enough singles to score 3 runs. Even if he gives up 2, you're still playing. 

Also, now you've got a fresh Middleton on Saturday, a day you won't have Bedrosian (who isn't pitching back to back these days).

Further, he had warmed up Paredes twice in the 4th and 5th, so I expected him to work the 6th against the bottom of the order. Seems like he ought to be able to handle one inning there. Plus, if you don't use him, you've basically lost him since he's already warmed up twice and guys almost never get up a third time. 

12 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

The 3 most reliable reliable relievers currently are Bedrosian, Petit and Parker. Everyone can agree on that.

Scioscia's plan was to get 12 outs out of those 3 relievers. Petit is the only one who has been used for multi innings. 

So it's pretty clear the right move is some combination of Petit for 2 and the others for 1 each. That seems incontrovertible. 

Respectfully @Jeff Fletcher I disagree, and think your logic is flawed. Why can't Parker or Bedrosian go more than one inning? Because Scioscia has reached the conclusion in his mind that they are only one inning pitchers?

This is, in fact, one of the main points of contention I have with Scioscia - his stubborn insistence on sticking to his way of doing of things with little ability to deviate from the plan.

10 minutes ago, wopphil said:

Respectfully @Jeff Fletcher I disagree, and think your logic is flawed. Why can't Parker or Bedrosian go more than one inning? Because Scioscia has reached the conclusion in his mind that they are only one inning pitchers?

This is, in fact, one of the main points of contention I have with Scioscia - his stubborn insistence on sticking to his way of doing of things with little ability to deviate from the plan.

I talked to Bedrosian the other day and he admitted to me his groin is still not 100 percent. He was injured in the first place after a multi-inning outing. 

11 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Fletcher can't criticize Scioscia, Scioscia will have him banned from the Angels clubhouse. 

I just told you what I think the valid questions are about how he used his relievers last night. 

Also, my job is question him and make him accountable. Not to criticize him. Readers are fully capable of forming their own opinions without my help. 

2 hours ago, JarsOfClay said:

Bringing in Bedrock to face the powerful Caleb Joseph and his 8 homers.  That's like bringing in Mariano Rivera in the 6th inning because Pennington homered earlier in the game.

Will you stop saying that?  It's silly.

He mentions two guys, you conveniently fail to mention Trumbo and focus on Joseph.    If you're going to try to dismiss someone's take then at least be honest and include both of them.

Why would you not?  It's chickenshit.

4 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

He mentions two guys, you conveniently fail to mention Trumbo and focus on Joseph.    If you're going to try to dismiss someone's take then at least be honest and include both of them.

Why would you not?  It's chickenshit.

You know why. 

2 hours ago, wopphil said:

Respectfully, a person should maybe take the time to look up some facts before telling someone else their logic is flawed...   

Parker has made 58 appearances this year which is already a career high..   Of those 58, all of but 5 have been one inning.   Only once has he pitched 2 innings --  overall he's allowed 34 hits in 53.2 innings -- and 6 in those 5 multi inning appearances.  In his entire MLB career he's pitched in 149 games totaling 144 innings.   It appears that his track record as a one inning guy is pretty much established.

In one breath the Scioscia hate wagon rips him for ignoring the analytics, in the next they rip on him for adhering to it.   I look forward to our next manager and people's opinion of his tactical prowess.   Should be priceless.

1 hour ago, Deadwood1876 said:

You think he should get on this board and see what some dumb fuck named "wopphil" has to say and "deviated from his plan?"

Yes, that is exactly what he should do.

And I bet you I am smarter than you. And I bet you I make a lot more money than you. 

28 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Respectfully, a person should maybe take the time to look up some facts before telling someone else their logic is flawed...   

Parker has made 58 appearances this year which is already a career high..   Of those 58, all of but 5 have been one inning.   Only once has he pitched 2 innings --  overall he's allowed 34 hits in 53.2 innings -- and 6 in those 5 multi inning appearances.  In his entire MLB career he's pitched in 149 games totally 144 innings.   It appears that his track record as a one inning guy is pretty much established.

In one breath the Scioscia hate wagon rips him for ignoring the analytics, in the next they rip on him for adhering to it.   I look forward to our next manager and people's opinion of his tactical prowess.   Should be priceless.

You are right. Scioscia is right. The bullpen has been managed perfectly this season (especially the last month).

I apologize for daring to disagree.

7 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

I had zero expectations with this years roster and still don't think it's good so the fact they're in the thick of the WC race on August 19 is a bonus to me.  Just sittin back and relaxing.

Same. I just want to see if heaney and skaggs are good to go. I feel like calzone in the negatives i see with the current team. The difference is i see a lot to like going forward.

17 minutes ago, wopphil said:

You are right. Scioscia is right. The bullpen has been managed perfectly this season (especially the last month).

I apologize for daring to disagree.

Look, just because the facts don't support your stance doesn't mean you have to go bitch-mode and argue what's not been said.  

MS fucks shit up, he's not perfect but he's not as delusional as you want to make it and if he was it would be pretty easy to point to the facts and actually have them support you -- give it a try.  So, while you're free to continue acting like a petulant child, the reality is you questioned someone else's logic with nothing to back it up other than opinion..  someone with significantly more access to information than you will ever likely be privy to despite your immense fortune and vast mental abilities.

So, spare me the idiotic bullshit about having a different opinion..   You're the one stomping his foot because others don't agree.

Last night sucked ass...  Everyone is pissed about it, but FFS, let's not all go retard on each other.

I am the petulant child? Ok, whatever. Fletcher is a big boy, he can defend himself. Nothing I said to him was even mildly disrespectful. I simply disagreed with his logic. He doesn't need you and others to jump on the back of someone who disagrees with him.

The results of Scioscia's bullpen management speak for themselves.