• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Scioscia's handling of the BP

Chuck

8 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Clearly, Scioscia just shows too much faith in young guys with tools, sticking with them even when they fail, when he instead ought to go with some veterans. 

(See what I did there?)

He did go with a veteran in Petit who was struggling.   The only other veteran in the bullpen is Norris and Scioscia already said he wont use him in those situations.

If he had another veteran option, Im sure he would have gone to him.

19 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

He did go with a veteran in Petit who was struggling.   The only other veteran in the bullpen is Norris and Scioscia already said he wont use him in those situations.

If he had another veteran option, Im sure he would have gone to him.

He did? He gave up a bloop hit and a borderline walk. I'd say he yanked him pretty quick. 

And once he did yank him, he also had Norris, Bailey and Chavez down there. He used Middleton. 

41 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

He did? He gave up a bloop hit and a borderline walk. I'd say he yanked him pretty quick. 

And once he did yank him, he also had Norris, Bailey and Chavez down there. He used Middleton. 

This makes sense after the game.

If the ground ball single Middleton gave up was a few feet to the left we wouldn't be discussing this. 

I give Scoscia credit for last night at last he recognized Petit didnt have it in the 9th and at least made a change, Middleton promptly shit the bed but i cant put that one on Scos.  He at least made the change.  

However, i will say that a lot of people here want to have it both ways... Scoscia is a MOTY candidate and hes doing the best with what he has, and Eppler's plan whatever that is is working as intended so that we can be competitive in 2020, meanwhile this is what we have in the bullpen after dealing away a productive guy in the middle of a playoff run.    These 2 things logically do not go together. 

2 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

I had zero expectations with this years roster and still don't think it's good so the fact they're in the thick of the WC race on August 19 is a bonus to me.  Just sittin back and relaxing.

This is honestly helping despite all these recent late inning blowups. 

44 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

Wait a minute...isn't this the same guy who is supposed to be considered for manager of the year....

had the players pulled off this crap which it was obvious they were put in a position to fail, then some people here would be saying how tactical scioscia is. 

Except they weren't  put in a position to fail. 

Edited by Stradling

middleton was the wrong move for sure.  the guy has been awful his last 28ip.  allowing a .935 ops and 8 hrs over that stretch.

If MS brings in Norris right there and he blows it?  Oh my.  this place would have gone to plaid.  

Key should be pitching earlier in the game and with a net under him ie, he starts a clean 6th.  If his command isn't there, then you replace him with one of your several other options.  Like Bailey.  But Key is the one that should be on the short leash.   

Bedrock faced the bottom of the lineup in the 6th.  

He also had Paredes.  

BTW, I am offering this perspective having not actually watched the game.  

Anyway, bringing in Norris to blow that game a few days ago was far less defensible than this.  

22 minutes ago, ANAHEIMBOB said:

Scioscia handled the Orioles pitching staff in the ninth inning perfectly, by bailing out there relief pitcher.  Two runners in the ninth caught stealing at second base.   Playing small ball in a home run park.

So you actually think those guys were given the steal sign?  I would bet my life that at least Trout has the green light.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

middleton was the wrong move for sure.  the guy has been awful his last 28ip.  allowing a .935 ops and 8 hrs over that stretch.

If MS brings in Norris right there and he blows it?  Oh my.  this place would have gone to plaid.  

Key should be pitching earlier in the game and with a net under him ie, he starts a clean 6th.  If his command isn't there, then you replace him with one of your several other options.  Like Bailey.  But Key is the one that should be on the short leash.   

Bedrock faced the bottom of the lineup in the 6th.  

He also had Paredes.  

BTW, I am offering this perspective having not actually watched the game.  

Anyway, bringing in Norris to blow that game a few days ago was far less defensible than this.  

Bedrock faced two guys that had homers earlier in the game. 

If he brought Norris and he blew it this place would have gone even crazier.  

If he brought in Bailey and had the same result this place would have asked why someone just coming off a season long DL stint was put in that situation.  

3 hours ago, bloodbrother said:

I had zero expectations with this years roster and still don't think it's good so the fact they're in the thick of the WC race on August 19 is a bonus to me.  Just sittin back and relaxing.

So it's okay if Scioscia keeps losing games because the team isnt supposed to be in the wild card race anyways, so lets keep giving him free passes on stupid mistakes that costs us wins.

Is that what you're saying?

1 minute ago, Stradling said:

Bringing in Bedrock to face the powerful Caleb Joseph and his 8 homers.  That's like bringing in Mariano Rivera in the 6th inning because Pennington homered earlier in the game.

Will you stop saying that?  It's silly.

11 minutes ago, gurn67 said:

Unless Scioscia demanded Hernandez be traded, I can't put any of this on him. That trade has cost this team at least 3 wins. Period.

That's simply not true.  Hernandez could have given up critical runs just as well, there is no way he's perfect.  See Fletcher's note above about how he's given up 4 runs in a little over 5 innings with Arizona.

4 minutes ago, JarsOfClay said:

Bringing in Bedrock to face the powerful Caleb Joseph and his 8 homers.  That's like bringing in Mariano Rivera in the 6th inning because Pennington homered earlier in the game.

Will you stop saying that?  It's silly.

Bedrosian is not Mariano Rivera, LOL.

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I honestly stopped watching after Trout's homer because I assumed the angels would win, but I guess the game is never over for the other team with Mike Scioscia in the dugout.

But bringing in Norris with the bases loaded could have been a monumental disaster for Norris mental health if he gave up another grand slam.  Even Scioscia isnt that stupid. Chavez is mop up relief, and bailey hasnt been tested - neither were realistic options.

But it does sound like Petit finishing the game off was the right move based on what you said.

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I'd be shocked if Scioscia is even aware of this, and more shocked if it would play any part in his decision making.

14 minutes ago, Stradling said:

If he brought Norris and he blew it this place would have gone even crazier.  

If he brought in Bailey and had the same result this place would have asked why someone just coming off a season long DL stint was put in that situation.  

Facing 6-7-8 is a little different from facing 1-2-3.

2 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I'd be shocked if Scioscia is even aware of this, and more shocked if it would play any part in his decision making.

It seems like he doesnt have a clue what to do out there.  It's quite shocking for a guy with 18 years experience to sit there like a deer in the headlights.

How does Scioscia even decide who's gonna close the game everyday?  Eeny Meeny Miny Moe?