• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Jered Weaver Retires

ettin

1 hour ago, Erstad Grit said:

His 2009 playoff game punking the red Sox stands out, but there were so many. I got a mention and spot on sports center holding a "5 more years dream weaver" sign his first game after signing an extension.  One of our best ever.  Tough watching a lot of the fan base turning on him near the end.  He's one of the guys who earned a free pass from me.  

image.png.1e3cf6e7368c4bdd0abd16347bf0b14f.png298412_10150251887456664_3450738_n.jpg?o

Ya you and me both man.   Never gonna see me say a bad thing about Weaver.

Edited by UndertheHalo

12 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

Ya you and me both man.   Never gonna see me say a bad thing about Weaver.

Me three. Like vlad and a few others, their downside got ugly, but they were so solid for us for so long, i couldnt knock them.

Kind of a crap thing for pujols. He bever really had enough impact on angel fans to shield him. In st louis he would have. The irony is its not like he was bad those first few years...just wasnt vintage pujols. Let down from the get down, so hes never gonna get much sympathy from rhe fans.

13 hours ago, eligrba said:

My favorite memory was when Jered just came off the DL and was starting a game in Texas and hit the first batter with the first pitch and was promptly ejected.

That was awesome.......

Not to ruin the spirit of this post but that was actually Lackey. But hey Lackey or Weaver, I'm sure they both would have nailed Kinsler. Unless this happened twice and I am not remembering it. 

I love Weaver just as much as the next guy but I will never ever be among the fans that fell for the mutual marketing storyline (benefits player and team) to us that he took some discount in his extension.

He wasn't a free agent.  He took a fair market extension.  You don't compare what you can get in an extension to what you might get later as a free agent and conclude you are taking a discount.  They are apples and oranges.

His extension compares quite fairly with other extensions for pitchers at that time.

I completely appreciate him wanting to simply stay here.  That's cool.  But the math says he got a fair market extension.

I read lots of crazy numbers like he took a $30m discount or a $40m discount and that's just bullshit.

It is OK to 100% fully appreciate Weaver and dig him wanting to just getterdone on an extension and stay an Angel rather than going free agent AND mathmatically acknowledge his contract was freely negotiated for him to get the best fair market extension he could get.  Did fans think Weaver would get More than Felix or Verlander?  Same as them exactly?  Sorry.  Blasphemy I know but Weaver isn't Felix or Verlander.  Maybe close at the time but when teams commit big money they also try to project forward.

Of course the Angels and Weaver were very smart to market the deal as they did.

Felix and Verlander also got extensions with their teams.  And differences between their extensions and Weaver's are not much. . .and rather than dissecting them to the dollar with an agenda to prove a discount we also have to remember that a team is hyperfocused on how the FEEL that players performance is projectable going forward.

You don't simply line up stays and age and hit enter on the computer.

I would hardly think it is reckless for anyone who actually writes the checks to think Weaver might not sustain dominance quite at the level of some other pitchers.

Ultimately, he faded.  It wasnt injury that caused the fade.  That doesn't take away one ounce of my appreciation for him as a fan.  But it does support the position that no, he was not underpaid from "taking a discount".

He got what he could get in an EXTENSION and the Angels in the end (performance wise) were "stuck" overpaying at the end.

I love Weaver.  But even me as an Angel fan didnt really really think he would be as good, and sustain being productive for as long, as guys like Verlander and Felix.  My personal brain even at that time said those guys would get a little more than Weaver.

There was no discount.  It was the fair market number for Weaver.  For an extension.  For a pitcher likely projected to be a notch below some other pitchers going forward in terms of dominance and sustainable stuff.

And I still fully appreciate him.  Saying it wasn't a discount doesnt take ANYTHING away from him as a player (he was still loyal wanting to be here) and takes nothing away from how much you appreciate him.

An absolute class act, I love the emotion he showed on the mound. One of my all-time favorite Angels. Still upset I wasn't at his no-hitter. I lived in the apartments across Orangewood at that time and the Wife and I almost got last-minute tickets from Stubhub. Wife wasn't feeling well so we decided against it. He breezed through the first three innings and I told my wife he had no hit stuff, and that she was in big trouble if he threw one that night. We still argue about that game. The other game that comes to mind is the no-hit loss he threw against the Dodgers. That was extremely frustrating, especially watching that game with some Dodger fans. Ugh. 

Agree with comments that Jered gets signed to a one day contract and some game in September here, steps on the mound at Angels Stadium to deliver the ceremonial first pitch in a Halos jersey and gets the Standing O salute he deserves from the crowd in Anaheim.

As for the prior comment implying that Weaver did NOT leave MONEY ON THE TABLE when he signed the 'hometown' discount extension with the Angels -- I completely disagree.

Did he get a fair contract extension? SURE -- but could he have demanded more as a F/A on the open market? -- NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT.

Would his career have been as successful from that point forward? HARD TO SAY.

Jered Weaver and his brother Jeff Weaver are studies in contrast on that issue -- I think Jered may have learned a thing or two from Jeff's experiences.  Jeff signed several huge (at the time) F/A contracts and seemed to flop every time he signed one.  As a young pitcher with a fairly lousy team at the time (Detroit Tigers) - Jeff Weaver was a very good pitcher for a lousy team and had decent stats (lot of K's and decent ERA and even W-L wasn't too bad for a bad team)...cannot remember all his travels (he signed with Seattle M's for a big contract and never did well there) but, at one point, he signed with the Yankees for a big contract and never fit in well there or pitched well there -- got traded to the Dodgers (I think they dumped bad contracts on each other -- Kevin Brown?) and did OK there and wound up with the Angels when he got sent out/ released (to make  roster space for a pitcher named Jered Weaver, if I remember right).........Jeff resurrected himself in St. Louis at some point (after his career was deemed over -- earlier that year (after the Angels cut him) he pitched somewhere ? Cleveland? and did poorly in several outings and got moved/ released and signed in St. Louis where his first outings were terrible but he rebounded to win a game or two down the stretch and then really help the Cards in the post-season winning a W/S game or two on the way to a ring............Jeff was pitching well in St. Louis and seemed at home there under LaRussa, Dave Duncan and Yadier Molina (or was Matheny still the catcher back then?) So what does he do? Signs that big contract with the M's and is just awful for them -- had he stayed with the Cards?  Not as a big of a pay day but perhaps a longer/ better career and MLB contract money for a longer time.........who knows?

So Jered stayed in Anaheim, So. Cal where he was comfortable -- good move overall.

I was hoping he could have a decent final season in Petco Park, a pitcher's park - but it was not to be.

One Day Halo in September -- Arte -- make it happen - he saved you a lot of money.........