• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Stanton Clears Waivers

totdprods

6 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

Don't sign the elderly and don't sign drug addicts.  

Stanton is neither. Like Doc said, the primary concern here is if Arte can swing it and still back up the Brinks truck for Trout when the time comes.

Stanton is neither, but has the reliability of both.

1 minute ago, NJHalo said:

No, because they both have problems staying on the field, regardless of the reasons. There are red flags about Stanton's durability without drugs being involved.  

I agree with a piece or two, but doubt he would come that cheap.

I guess what I meant when I say a piece or two I mean, possibly Jones, Mathias and Barria.  I wouldn't trade both Jones and Adell. 

32 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

If it's a just a nasty salary dump then they might orchestrate it to be done by the outgoing owner. . .try to let the bad PR stick to the guy walking out the door. 

If the new owner believes they are not going to compete now and they simply want to spend the Stanton value on pieces to build with, then they will want to do that themselves.

Now this makes sense.  Thank you.  

30 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Which is why I didn't direct this at you.  But I still don't get why a new owner would be ok with the old owner making such important decisions.  Also I still don't see why the old owner, who has a deal in place to sell, would take on the debt if he has to eat some of the contract.  

i would imagine that the new group has at least been consulted and is at minimum aware regarding key players and/or concepts. 

Does getting Stanton put the payroll over the tax? 

What are his career numbers against the AL? I tried to find them and failed.

He is a .268 career hitter. Is that worth 297 million? 

Will Arte pay him and Trout in a couple of years?  

Is it smarter to just sign Moose, Hosmer and some other FA in the off-season for cheaper than one guy?

Will trading for Stanton mean Arte won't spend to get Moose or Hosmer etc?

Will Scioscia bat Stanton before or after Pujols?

Does Arte want to gamble on yet another huge contract when the others have been terrible?

And where the hell was I?

12 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Does getting Stanton put the payroll over the tax?  No

What are his career numbers against the AL? I tried to find them and failed. 121 G, 527 PA, 43 XBH, 52 BB, 167 K, .261/.340/.456/.796

He is a .268 career hitter. Is that worth 297 million? He didn't sign that contract for his BA. He's hitting .287 this year and young enough to still improve. 

Will Arte pay him and Trout in a couple of years?  He could - he has been paying Trout/Pujols/Hamilton and Weaver/Wilson for most of the last 5 years. 

Is it smarter to just sign Moose, Hosmer and some other FA in the off-season for cheaper than one guy? Yeah, could be.

Will trading for Stanton mean Arte won't spend to get Moose or Hosmer etc? Likely - would probably limit them to cheaper Maybin/Espinosa/$5m-$12m AAV guys for short contracts.

Will Scioscia bat Stanton before or after Pujols? ????

Does Arte want to gamble on yet another huge contract when the others have been terrible? He's gambled over and over again and it hasn't stopped him.

And where the hell was I?  I don't knoooooowwww!!!!

21 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I can't see Arte taking on his contract and then signing Mous or Hosmer, but who knows.  I don't think this would prevent Arte from trying to resign Trout.  Also pretty good insurance if Trout signs elsewhere.  

I still think it'd jazz up Trout more than anything. He'll have another big bat to truly lean on going forward. And I do think Arte is acutely aware of a potential firestorm if Trout walks and the team not having a 'star' in place to keep the fans coming. Stanton offers that. Pujols by that point won't. 

From a year-to-year payroll standpoint, Stanton is literally no different from Hamilton - until after his opt-out year of course.
'18: $25m
'19: $26m
'20: $26m and then he could opt out. 

For the last three years, we've paid Hamilton to make 182 plate appearances for another team.
'15: $20.7m
'16: $26.4m
'17: $26.4m

Yeah, there's a chance Stanton keeps making Hamilton+ money if he chooses not to opt-out, but the Trout/Pujols contracts drop off right around that same time. Ideally, Trout stays on board - but even then, you're only getting maybe one seasons of the three of them making insane money. Eppler has shown he can field a competitive team cheaply and we should see a wave of minor league talent hit around this same time, so we may not need to spend big during the season or two where these three contracts come to a head.

IF IF IF IF IF this means the front office suddenly goes back to the dumpster in the off season, i would oppose it.   If this is done in addition to other moves such as for example Moustakis, im all over it.  One guy doesnt fix us, so it thats all we get, dont bother.  
Its time they decide what our identity is, are we going for it or are we the angels of old.  Cant have both.    

I still think the key to a Stanton contract is going to revolve around other Miami salary and how badly they want to shed it and how much Eppler and Arte are willing to take on and deal with. 

The Marlins could purely salary dump a ton of players on the Angels with the Angels paying a bulk and the Marlins could just let it all go for nothing. It could be good players (Stanton, even Yelich - but that would cost prospects) or it could be middling possibly useful players that fill holes (Gordon, Prado, an expensive reliever) or they could just eat straight up bad money (Volquez, Chen) that is of no use to either team. Each 'group' of those players will have a different prospect value attached to it. 

If the Marlins offered Yelich and Stanton and paid next to nothing in salary, would you do it?

If the Marlins offered Yelich, Gordon, and Stanton and were willing to pay a significant chunk (10-20%) and took some salary off the Angels hands (i.e. Calhoun, Valbuena) and prospects, would you do it? What if we ate Volquez' complete dead salary as well?

There's dozens of different variations of this trade that could come about, but we won't really know what's feasible because we don't know what Arte is willing to spend, what Eppler is willing to deal with, or just how badly Miami wants to shed salary.

9 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

What's the possibility of Stanton opting out after season 2020?

Hard to say - if he really is an 'LA or Miami or bust' guy, he may be perfectly content.
If he stays healthy and productive, and especially if he takes another step forward production-wise, he may get an even larger contract. 

Harper's contract will really set the bar. If he really, truly gets something like $35m-45m in annual average value, Stanton would almost certainly opt out if he was healthy and producing. 

6 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hard to say - if he really is an 'LA or Miami or bust' guy, he may be perfectly content.
If he stays healthy and productive, and especially if he takes another step forward production-wise, he may get an even larger contract. 

Harper's contract will really set the bar. If he really, truly gets something like $35m-45m in annual average value, Stanton would almost certainly opt out if he was healthy and producing. 

That's important to gage ... if he leaves, the team might lose Trout and Stanton after 2020 season. 

On the bright side it gives the team a real chance to win a championship during the Trout years. 

58 minutes ago, beatlesrule said:

Does getting Stanton put the payroll over the tax? 

What are his career numbers against the AL? I tried to find them and failed.

He is a .268 career hitter. Is that worth 297 million? 

Will Arte pay him and Trout in a couple of years?  

Is it smarter to just sign Moose, Hosmer and some other FA in the off-season for cheaper than one guy?

Will trading for Stanton mean Arte won't spend to get Moose or Hosmer etc?

Will Scioscia bat Stanton before or after Pujols?

Does Arte want to gamble on yet another huge contract when the others have been terrible?

And where the hell was I?

I am willing to bet Moose, Hosmer, and a quality pitcher would cost close to 45-50 million a year.  Stanton aav  is less than 29 million.  

Btw a 268 hitter hitting 40 plus HRs  a year is worth the money.

2 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

That's important to gage ... if he leaves, the team might lose Trout and Stanton after 2020 season. 

On the bright side it gives the team a chance to win a championship during the Trout years. 

If both leave, we also have a massive amount of payroll clearing 2020-2021 (with Pujols' contract expiring too), which happens to be around the same time most of our current prospects start impacting the bigs. Off top of head, I think Simmons and Calhoun both expire right around that year too.

35 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Wait a year and sign Bryce ... they both hit 150 HR's at the exact same age. There are many other similarities in their career.

Bring the bromance to Anaheim and Trout will sign a extension!

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2664.JPG

IMG_2666.JPG

IMG_2668.JPG

IMG_2669.JPG

IMG_2670.JPG

IMG_2673.JPG

IMG_2674.JPG

IMG_2676.JPG

IMG_2677.JPG

IMG_2679.JPG

IMG_2680.JPG

Bryce will cost 35 to 40 million.  Stanton would cost 29 million.  If money is not an option I would pay up for Harper.  I don't mind a douche who performs.

Really don't see it happening, but if Eppler can pull it off with out giving away too many of the few valued prospects mentioned, I would definitely say it's a risk worth taking. Injury prone maybe, but as someone else mentioned that's what everyone assumed about Vlad before we signed him.

A player of Stanton's caliber, Epp would be crazy not to at least consider some possible trade scenarios. 

3 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

A little while back someone asked everyone what 3 players they would start a franchise with.   Stanton and Trout were on my list...   Ridiculous talent.

And both are just great people on and off the field.

A Trout-Stanton 1-2 punch would be sick.