• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Stanton Clears Waivers

totdprods

2 hours ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I would be surprised if This costs nothing but money and no prospects. If they ask for even a B level prospect tell them to kick rocks. I'm taking this deal all day long to protect Trout. Use the prospects to get higher end pitching and go from there.

There is no way they are letting him go without getting players in return

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Except nobody claimed him willing to only take his salary.  Are we supposed to think teams will now take the salary AND throw in players when nobody was willing to only take the salary?

The only way to read this so far is the the other teams are telling the Marlins they would have to eat some salary or take some salary back if they want prospects going to the Marlins.

I'm not saying this is my personal view of Stanton's value, I am saying the raw facts of what has happened so far say this is where the real market is on him today.

Heck if he hits 6 homers in the next 2 days maybe things change.  Who knows.

25 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Except nobody claimed him willing to only take his salary.  Are we supposed to think teams will now take the salary AND throw in players when nobody was willing to only take the salary?

I never said they would be willing to take on his entire salary

13 minutes ago, Lou said:

I never said they would be willing to take on his entire salary

few teams could, we just happen to be one of them.  IF we were willing to do so, it changes the equation.
I doubt it happens, dont get me wrong, but MIA isnt getting o have that cake and eat it too 

https://amp.mlb.com/248830870-latest-trade-buzz-on-stanton-verlander.amp.html

"Still, the Nationals, Giants and Angels are viewed as possible suitors for Stanton, either this month or during the offseason. The Nationals' entire Opening Day outfield is on the disabled list; among that group, Jayson Werth (after this season) and Bryce Harper (after 2018) are approaching free agency. The Giants, the only MLB team yet to hit 100 home runs this season, are desperate to add power. And the Angels would love to make a splash with the savings they'll enjoy after the expiration of Josh Hamilton's contract following this season; Stanton is a popular Southern California native."

and for kicks heres a few tweets from the guy that supposedly broke the Pujols signing on twitter years ago Lol 

Angels could start with trading Calhoun (team friendly deal) and a B level prospect or two. 

Odds are good that Stanton will opt out after 2020. He's owed around $90M ... if you can get the Marlins to eat some of it then all the better.

Pujols will be off the books in 2021 if he even hangs around that long (doubtful).  Trout will be off the books in 2020 unless Eppler can work some magic. Trout is getting paid no matter what ... money won't be his deciding factor. 

I think you have to kick the tires on Stanton. Getting Stanton could help in getting Trout signed to a extension.

13 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Angels could start with trading Calhoun (team friendly deal) and a B level prospect or two. 

Odds are good that Stanton will opt out after 2020. He's owed around $90M ... if you can get the Marlins to eat some of it then all the better.

Pujols will be off the books in 2021 if he even hangs around that long (doubtful).  Trout will be off the books in 2020 unless Eppler can work some magic. Trout is getting paid no matter what ... money won't be his deciding factor. 

I think you have to kick the tires on Stanton. Getting Stanton could help in getting Trout signed to a extension.

Problem is if that trade happens now then Kole would have to also clear waivers.

57 minutes ago, Troll Daddy said:

Calhoun, Valbuena, and perhaps even one of Richards or Shoemaker are guys who the Angels could float towards Miami to help offset whatever salary they take on, should they expand a deal to include some Miami deadweight salary. Guys like Gordon, Prado, or relievers. Including them could minimize the prospects they give up or entice Miami into eating more salary, and help fill '18 needs at the same time. 

The contracts Miami would take on would all either expire after one season, or in Shoe's case, be arb-controlled for a couple seasons, and they need rotation help. 

It would be a wink to their Toronto blockbuster a couple years back. The Marlins shed a ton of long-term salary and took back some short-term salary to help Toronto stomach the massive amount they took on, and while Toronto did pass along a couple decent prospects, their farm wasn't raked over. "The Blue Jays are taking on tens of millions in future payroll obligations, while the Marlins are moving the contracts of Reyes and Buehrle less than one full year after signing them as free agents."

"The Blue Jays announced the 12-player trade, which sends Jose ReyesJosh JohnsonMark BuehrleJohn BuckEmilio Bonifacio and cash considerations to Toronto for Yunel EscobarAdeiny HechavarriaHenderson AlvarezJeff MathisJustin NicolinoAnthony Desclafani and Jake Marisnick."

3 hours ago, floplag said:

few teams could, we just happen to be one of them.  IF we were willing to do so, it changes the equation.
I doubt it happens, dont get me wrong, but MIA isnt getting o have that cake and eat it too 

all teams could take on that contract. Only a few have ever shown that they would , however. The A's owners have a hell of a lot more money than Arte, but we all know they never would. 

Also, I'm agreeing with you when you say they can't have their cake and it it, too. I said they won't make a deal without getting any players in return. Add that I don't think anyone will be willing to take on his entire contract, the conclusion is that, if a deal is going to be done, it means the Marlins will have to be willing to eat some contract, in turn, they will get players back. 

Hope that clears things up. 

3 minutes ago, Lou said:

One thing about the Marlins is that nobody ever knows what the hell they are going to do. Add in new ownership and it gets even cloudier 

And as much as we try to predict Arte, he's proven to be pretty unpredictable as well. The '04 mega FA spree was surprising even before Vlad topped it off. The Hunter deal was a total surprise - and a fairly big contract at the time. The Wells trade was a massive amount of money. Pujols was a shock and a ton of money - and he went and added CJ on top of it and another $125m a year later with Hamilton. Then when he can spend the last two offseasons....he doesn't.

We analyze Arte to death so all of this doesn't seem too crazy, but from the outside looking in, Arte really comes off as extremely volatile, unpredictable, and not afraid to push the boundaries on spending out of the blue. It just doesn't seem that way to us since he's in our little Angel fandom world on a daily basis while speculating.

Shoot, I think the Angels could take the contracts of Gordon, Prado, a reliever, and ugh, maybe Volquez and Stanton and ask the Marlins to cover Stanton's '18-'19 salary in full and they'd consider it, with inclusion of a couple decent prospects/players from the Angels. 

Not 100% serious, btw.

5 hours ago, Lou said:

And good players at that.

Its fantasy to think they just want out from under his money. Even cheap ass loria can afford him. Even with his contract, they would AT LEAST want one or two bonafide stud prospects. (At least). And eith them, maybe rhe marlins eat a fraction of rhe money hes owed.

Hate to be a bummer, but its not in the cards for us.

3 hours ago, SoWhat said:

https://amp.mlb.com/248830870-latest-trade-buzz-on-stanton-verlander.amp.html

"Still, the Nationals, Giants and Angels are viewed as possible suitors for Stanton, either this month or during the offseason. The Nationals' entire Opening Day outfield is on the disabled list; among that group, Jayson Werth (after this season) and Bryce Harper (after 2018) are approaching free agency. The Giants, the only MLB team yet to hit 100 home runs this season, are desperate to add power. And the Angels would love to make a splash with the savings they'll enjoy after the expiration of Josh Hamilton's contract following this season; Stanton is a popular Southern California native."

and for kicks heres a few tweets from the guy that supposedly broke the Pujols signing on twitter years ago Lol 

Ahem. For the record, i was the first guy to break the pujols news.

Lou, do your bumping.

I will say this, the angels tried to trade for stanton a few years back. He is absolutely an arte type player. We just dont have the prospects to send over. (We do have the money)

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

For the record, i was the first guy to break the pujols news.

Lou, do your bumping.

I will say this, the angels tried to trade for stanton a few years back. He is absolutely an arte type player. We just dont have the prospects to send over. (We do have the money)

i'm thinking the only way we could pull it off is to get a third team involved.

it'd be interesting to listen to the GM phone calls on all of this.

8 minutes ago, Tank said:

i'm thinking the only way we could pull it off is to get a third team involved.

it'd be interesting to listen to the GM phone calls on all of this.

Meh, even then i dont see it tanker. Which is too bad, i love the guy. Would be cool to see him come back to socal. Him and trout would be insane. There would be deeper lineups than ours, but wed have by far the "coolest" 1-2 punch in baseball. 

People stop what theyre doing tonwarch trout now. Stanton would be the same...the two together....insanity

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Meh, even then i dont see it tanker. Which is too bad, i love the guy. Would be cool to see him come back to socal. Him and trout would be insane. There would be deeper lineups than ours, but wed have by far the "coolest" 1-2 punch in baseball. 

People stop what theyre doing tonwarch trout now. Stanton would be the same...the two together....insanity

After thinking about it for a few days ... Stanton would be awesome to get and would be just about the best protection we could find for Trouty. 

But... we would be better off saving the money and fixing the multiple holes we have. Relying on these oft-injured arms is a bad idea. We need a 2nd baseman or a 3rd baseman, we need somebody to lock down first, we need a leadoff hitter if Maybin leaves, and we could always add to the pen. 

Doing some savvy trades and low key signings and then splurging in the 2018 off season on Harper or Machado might be the way to go.

Honestly, if we landed Stanton somehow, Trout will extend. Period.

Even through FA signings there is no one else you can pair up with Trout that will make a big difference IMO.

Pujols is being sunsetted. Calhoun is meh... Simmons is great but not a MOTO bat.

is this fereelz?  

three requirements for acquiring Stanton.  

1.  It doesn't hurt our chances of signing Trout long term

2.  We don't move Jones, Adell or Marsh.  

3.  I'm calling him Mike 

Getting his age 28-33yo seasons is key.  He's probably still going to be decently productive for a couple years after that.  Agree that injury is a potential concern, but why the hell not.  Let's do this.