• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

That's Bob Moose, I don't know who the other guy is, and I assume it is an hour after game 7 of the 1971 world series.  They are happy.

I don't know anything else.

As an aside, Memorial Stadium is the first big league ballpark I ever visited.  Went to probably 25 games there between 1977 and 1983.

Went to game 2 of the 1979 ALCS between baltimore and the Angels.

Went to game 6 of the 1979 world series.  When my mom died in November, I went through some old stuff and found a ticket stub.

Went to Opening Day 1982 there - incredibly my parents let me and my friends ditch school and we drove there from Hagerstown (60 miles).

Went to the final game of the 1982 season, Earl Weaver's last game as manager, and the game decided the AL East championship (Palmer vs. ???) - Robin Yount hit a leadoff homer, and the Brewers led the whole way.

I have great memories there.  The parking was so tight, you parked bumper to bumper.  If you needed to leave early, you were screwed.

bob moose uncorked a wild pitch in game 5 of the 1972 NLCS that resulted in a walk off win for the reds.

That's a big deal - a trip to the world series was decided on a wild pitch.

That is what I hate about the media coverage of sports history.  Its the same 10-20 events... US Olympic hockey gold in 1980; Fisk's game 6 homer.  Reggie's 3 home run's. Franco Harris' immaculate reception. Willis Reed going out on court to start game 7.  Willie Mays' catch. Pete Rose-Ray Fosse....

A world series is decided on a wild pitch... you'd think that would be discussed once in a while.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

The name is not necessary. His connection to Gehrig is enough.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

It has something to do with home runs.

Since we had a 4 HR game recently, and I know Gehrig hit 4 in a game...while it's hard to imagine that skinny guy hitting 4 in a game, it's my guess.

2 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Since we had a 4 HR game recently, and I know Gehrig hit 4 in a game...while it's hard to imagine that skinny guy hitting 4 in a game, it's my guess.

Bobby Lowe of the Boston Beaneaters became the first player to hit four home runs in a single game on May 30, 1894.

He was 66-years old in the photo with Gehrig above. It was taken six days after Lou hit his four home runs.

Lowe was 38 years older than Gehrig and outlived him by ten years.

3 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Bobby Lowe of the Boston Beaneaters became the first player to hit four home runs in a single game on May 30, 1894.

He was 66-years old in the photo with Gehrig above. It was taken six days after Lou hit his four home runs.

Lowe was 38 years older than Gehrig and outlived him by ten years.

He was 66???

Whoa. Hate to think what he looked like in his 80's.

Great Find FS79

Mathewson’s second no-no, 112 years ago today

Christy Mathewson card Christy Mathewson baseball card The New York Giants’ Christy Mathewson threw the second of his two no-hitters, 112 years ago today.

Mathewson, nicknamed “The Christian Gentleman,” no-hit the Chicago Cubs at West Side Park for a 1-0 win. The right-hander from Factoryville, Pennsylvania faced just 28 batters, with the only Cubs base runners coming courtesy of errors by Bill Dahlen and Billy Gilbert (one runner was doubled up).

“Neither run, nor hit, nor base on balls did Mathewson allow Chicago in the full nine innings, and if his support had been perfect, he would have tied “Cy” Young’s record of not permitting an opponent to reach first base,” the New York Times noted.

Mathewson’s first no-no came on Monday, July 15, 1901, when he beat the St. Louis Cardinals on the road at Robison Field 5-0.