• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

3 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

In looking back over this very long thread, I was shocked to see many of the photos I posted are gone, just some numbers there where the picture should be.

I wonder if this is because I got them off of Facebook (some baseball pages there) and they get removed after a certain amount of time?

So for those who are reading earlier pages on this thread, I am sorry.

I still don't know how to upload photos from my own computer onto this forum.

If you use Mozilla Firefox you can open multiple windows. If you open the picture in a separate window you can grab the picture with the mouse and force it into the window you want to paste it too. When you grab it go sideways until you are under the window you need and then push up and the window will open. Just drop the picture in reply window and it will be there. Easiest way to do it.

If you are using something else them open it in another window. Right click on the picture and copy it. Go to the reply box and paste it. Some pictures on Google will not be allowed to be shown. Best way is to use Mozilla Firefox.

2 hours ago, Redondo said:

If you use Mozilla Firefox you can open multiple windows. If you open the picture in a separate window you can grab the picture with the mouse and force it into the window you want to paste it too. When you grab it go sideways until you are under the window you need and then push up and the window will open. Just drop the picture in reply window and it will be there. Easiest way to do it.

If you are using something else them open it in another window. Right click on the picture and copy it. Go to the reply box and paste it. Some pictures on Google will not be allowed to be shown. Best way is to use Mozilla Firefox.

What about jpegs that I've downloaded already and simply want to add to my post as an attachment? I don't see anything here that will let me do that.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

58 pitches?    That is sometimes a solid 3 innings for Meyer. 

That 1944 game had to be one of the fastest ever, 1 hour and 15 min.    Nowadays, that is usually about 3.5 innings of baseball. 

That could have been one inning for CJ "The Nibbler" Wilson.

On This Date: August 13, 1948

It took the man whom Joe DiMaggio once called the “best and fastest pitcher” he’d ever faced more than two decades to finally get his moment. On July 9, 1948, Satchel Paige played in his first Major League Baseball game at age 42. After his professional debut in the Negro Leagues in 1926, Paige reached the long-overdue career milestone of playing in the majors 15 months after Jackie Robinson broke baseball’s color barrier on April 15, 1947, though Paige once said, “it still was me that ought to have been first.” And, honestly, he was right. The fact that MLB barred Paige — the first Negro Leaguer to be elected to the Hall of Fame, in 1971 — and other African-American ballplayers alike from joining a league with their white counterparts for so many years is an atrocity. Paige’s arm, competitiveness and showmanship that he translated into an estimated 2,500 games, 2,000 wins, 300 shutouts and 55 no-hitters over his career deserved to be on display in the majors long before 1948.

On this date 96 years ago Ty Cobb at 34 became the youngest player ever to collect 3,000 hits. It happened during the second game of a doubleheader against the Red Sox. There was little or no mention of the milestone in any of the papers, only the box score and a few sentences.

August 19, 1921

cobb_boxscore.jpg

Everything about Walter Johnson is mind boggling. Just a sample:

http://sabr.org/research/walter-johnson-king-1-0-hurlers

Johnson, in the course of his career, participated in no less than 64 1-0 games, winning 38 and losing 26 (including two in relief). He took part in twice as many minimum scoring contests as any other hurler. Not counted is his classic 12-inning 0-0 tie game with Jack Quinn of the Yankees on May 11, 1919. Quinn gave up 10 hits, including one to Johnson, and the Big Train gave up only two in 12 frames. He retired 28 men in a row (George Halas of later football fame going 0-5), but the Nats couldn't get him any runs.

The longest 1-0 game for Johnson was his 18-inning win over Claude Williams of the White Sox on May 15, 1918. He also had three that went 15 innings and five others that went overtime. Walter also had a half dozen 1-0 losses in extra time. In the 11-inning game of July 29, 1918 at Chicago, he pitched only the last 1 and 2/3 innings in relief of Harry Harper and was the loser.