• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

Ted Williams in the dugout before his first official major league game. April 20, 1939 against the Yankees in the Bronx.

He would get one hit in his debut, a double. Williams hit .449 on Opening Day games in his career, and had at least one hit in every one of them.

williams1939-960x765.jpg

Edited by fan_since79

41 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

Ted Williams in the dugout before his first official major league game. April 20, 1939 against the Yankees in the Bronx.

He would get one hit in his debut, a double. Williams hit .449 on Opening Day games in his career, and had at least one hit in every one of them.

williams1939-960x765.jpg

Looks like the new yankee stadium as far as the empty box seats.

Bobby Doerr.

Born in Los Angeles, played baseball at Fremont High before being drafted by the Red Sox.

Nine-time All-Star, averaged 110 RBI from 1946-1950. The only Red Sox player to hit for the cycle twice.

He led the AL 16 times in one defensive category or another, and retired with the highest career fielding percentage for a second baseman (at that time).

At the age of 33, he suffered a back injury while fielding a slowly hit ground ball, and it got worse and led to his early retirement.

https://sabr.org/bioproj/person/afad9e3d

Nice interview with Bobby Doerr with lots of pictures.

http://baseballhall.org/discover/the-captain-speaks

I love the story of how he met his wife:

"It was there that winter (1938) that I met my wife, who was teaching school up there (Junction City, Oregon). I didn’t realize she was going to be my wife at that time, of course. But this one night, each Saturday night down the river from us at the C.C. camp, while the boys were building a road over the mountain, they would have a dance one night and have a movie another night.

We would get in the back of this truck, as they’d come pick us up to take us down to the dancing. One night, the people across the river, friends, invited us to come over to their place. It was just kind of dancing from a phonograph. I can remember when we got ready to leave to go back across the river about 2 or 3 o’clock in the morning, Monica was ahead of me in this little old rowboat. The fellow was going to row us across. The seat next to her was all white from being cold and frosty. I remember when I got in, Monica, who would turn out to be my wife, put her coat down so I didn’t have to sit in that old icy seat. And at the time I thought that was pretty nice. I fell in love with Monica that night."

I can see that interest in this thread is fading, so I'll go ahead and give the answer.

What Connie Mack and Vin Scully have in common is that both men were active in major league baseball in 1950. Mack was in his final year as manager of the A's and Scully in his first year as broadcaster for the Dodgers.

And 2017 is the first season since 1885 when neither man has been active in MLB.

Just now, fan_since79 said:

I can see that interest in this thread is fading, so I'll go ahead and give the answer.

What Connie Mack and Vin Scully have in common is that both men were active in major league baseball in 1950. Mack was in his final year as manager of the A's and Scully in his first year as broadcaster for the Dodgers.

And 2017 is the first season since 1885 when neither man has been active in MLB.

That is insane. 

This thread hasn't lost interest, there are just harder questions.

Here is one for Halo fans, name these three players and also the strange stat that one of them maintains, the only player in baseball to achieve this.

78350acebe86e8acbf383af458451910.jpg