• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

This bespectacled gentleman was said to have been the hardest throwing pitcher of all time. His fastball was estimated at 100-110 mph. Some thought he reached 120, but this was before the radar gun. Ted Williams once batted against him in spring training and said he could not see the ball, and that he never wanted to face him again. He blew out his arm during another spring game and never made it to the majors.

Dalk_30cxln2u.jpg

3 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

I got that question because several days earlier I had read about the guy. Otherwise I'd never heard of him before.

People that saw him pitch claim he threw harder than anyone but who really knows.

He definitely spooked Ted Williams who said he could not see any of his pitches, they were that fast.

34 minutes ago, Redondo said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Great picture. Had to look it up. Not sure if it's right.

It's right.

Ruth had one of the greatest offensive years ever in 1921.

59 home runs, 168 RBI, 177 runs scored (all-time record), 457 total bases (also an all-time record), and 119 extra-base hits, most ever.

.378/.512/.846

Edited by fan_since79

7 minutes ago, fan_since79 said:

It's right.

Ruth had one of the greatest offensive years ever in 1921.

59 home runs, 168 RBI, 177 runs scored (all-time record), 457 total bases (also an all-time record), and 119 extra-base hits, most ever.

.378/.512/.846

Amazing numbers. He was so good and to see those kind of numbers just let's you how far above the normal ballplayers he was.

Mark Koenig I think next to Lazzeri.

Koenig, Lazzeri and Meusel were all California boys. Meusel was from LA and Lazzeri-Keoning both from San Francisco, where if I'm not mistaken they went to the same high school (not sure if it was at the same time, though)

4 hours ago, Homebrewer said:

Mark Koenig I think next to Lazzeri.

Koenig, Lazzeri and Meusel were all California boys. Meusel was from LA and Lazzeri-Keoning both from San Francisco, where if I'm not mistaken they went to the same high school (not sure if it was at the same time, though)

Good job!

Something I found while looking for something else.

Ray Kelly, Babe Ruth's personal 'mascot'. One lucky kid.

of2yrIM.jpg

It all began with a chance meeting of neighbors on the Upper West Side of Manhattan one day in 1921, when the Yankees were sharing the Polo Grounds with the Giants.

''I was having a catch with my father in a park along Riverside Drive and the Babe lived around the corner and stopped to watch,'' Mr. Kelly recalled. ''I was a pretty good player for age 3, and Babe told my dad: 'I'm taking Little Ray with me to the Polo Grounds tomorrow. He's going to be my mascot.' ''

Over the next decade, the boy sat alongside the Babe and the future Hall of Famers Lou Gehrig, Tony Lazzeri, Bill Dickey, Waite Hoyt, Herb Pennock and Manager Miller Huggins. He was a good-luck charm at many home games in the Polo Grounds and at Yankee Stadium and was also Ruth's guest on some road trips, sharing a hotel room with Eddie Bennett, the Yankees' adult bat boy. ''I was just there to sit on the bench and look cute,'' Mr. Kelly once said.

He was in the dugout at Yankee Stadium when it opened, on April 18, 1923, with Ruth hitting a three-run homer that lifted the Yankees to a 4-1 victory over the Boston Red Sox.

http://www.nytimes.com/2001/11/14/sports/ray-kelly-83-babe-ruth-s-little-pal-dies.html

Edited by fan_since79

(from his NY Times obit)

Mr. Kelly always revered Ruth. As he put it: ''He was like a second father to me. He treated me like the son he never had. Babe was idolized by everyone, particularly kids. He treated children with a great deal of respect, and adults appreciated that.''

How did he think the Babe would have fared in the modern game? ''If he was alive today,'' Mr. Kelly told an interviewer in 1998, ''he'd hit 100 home runs.''

Celebrity-Portrait-Photos-Little-Ray-Kel