• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

Detroit native and local high school and college legend Dave Debusschere. I was a Detroit Piston fan back when he played along with Dave Bing, Jimmy Walker, later Bob Lanier. Was sad to see him traded to the Knicks.

The Pistons also had Ron Reed back then, who also pitched in the bigs. Two multi sport pro athletes on the same team. 

5 hours ago, yk9001 said:

It was Clemente.  7 in 1960 and  7 games 11 years later. Wow.

Awesome book I read last winter..that's how I guessed (and maybe just remembered) He always felt undervalued and unappreciated, and even though he played hard every day, he felt that his WS appearances were a chance for him to get some attention on the national level...this is a really good book on a really complicated man..and one of the all time greats.

https://www.amazon.com/Clemente-Passion-Grace-Baseballs-Last-ebook/dp/B00BSBVK4A/ref=dp_kinw_strp_1

15 hours ago, makepeac said:

Detroit native and local high school and college legend Dave Debusschere. I was a Detroit Piston fan back when he played along with Dave Bing, Jimmy Walker, later Bob Lanier. Was sad to see him traded to the Knicks.

The Pistons also had Ron Reed back then, who also pitched in the bigs. Two multi sport pro athletes on the same team. 

Also, Eddie Miles was on those Pistons teams.   That was back when I first became a basketball fan from watching NBA telecasts in the 1965-66 season while living in Charlotte.  Bing and Walker did come in after that season.

DeBusschere also became to this day the youngest ever NBA head coach at age 24, as the Pistons' player coach.   That is crazy young to be a head coach at any level, much less the NBA.

He did win two NBA titles later on with the Knicks in 1970 and 1973, frustrating my Lakers both times.

Those Knicks teams were something else. I got to watch some of their games on TV as I was living in Bucks County, PA and we could pick up a couple of New York stations. I watched more than a few Mets games too during the '69 season.

Acquiring DeBusschere meant that Willis Reed could move to center, where he was much more effective. Reed, DeBusschere, Bradley, Frazier, and Barnett, the starting five in 1970 (later Earl Monroe). The 1973 champs also had Jerry Lucas and Phil Jackson. 

2 hours ago, makepeac said:

Now that I'm not looking at the pic on a smartphone screen it's Bill White and Dick Groat. Wondered why they showed the old style unis. Cepeda would have still been with the Giants at this point.

That's right. Starting infield of the 1964 Cardinals. L to R: Boyer, Groat, Javier, and White. 

22 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

in honor of the holiday:

President Eisenhower makes a grand entrance at the 1956 World Series at Ebbets Field.

16830784_10155073525373833_1652627868774

And I'm sure everyone knows Ike played professional ball under an assumed name for some bucks. He didn't want to lose his amateur status to be able to play both baseball and football at West Point

Read that Ike and Mamie were pretty much detested by the White House staff. Ike trotted around like he was in a country club, and Mamie was very cold and demanding, and had breakfast in bed every morning. They never bothered to learn anyone's names and treated the staff like shit.