• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

9 hours ago, yk9001 said:

There was a Moore Leaguer (and he also played at Long Beach State) on that 1969 Mets team. Who was he?

Didn't know that one. My initial guess was Bud Harrelson, since I knew he was a California guy.

I had to cheat to find out it was Rod Gaspar. I never heard my Dad mention him, but he did get into 118 games that year, with only 250 plate appearances. My guess, he was either a defensive replacement or a pinch hitter. His stats tell me it was not the latter.

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

I knew it was Rod Gaspar, one of the two earliest Long Beach St. players to make the majors (along with Dick Nen).

The O's thought they would win in 4 straight in the 1969 WS.

They even took to glossing various Mets.   Gaspar, for whatever reason, was glossed as Rod Stupid.

After the Orioles had swept the Minnesota Twins in the American League Championship Series, Frank Robinson heard that Rod Gaspar had predicted that the Mets would win the World Series in four games. Robinson said, “Who in the hell is Ron Gaspar?” Fellow Baltimore outfielder Paul Blair eavesdropped on Robinson’s sarcasm, correcting him, “That’s not Ron. It’s Rod, stupid!” In a retort worthy of an Abbott and Costello routine, Robinson said, “All right, bring on Rod Stupid.”

http://sabr.org/bioproj/person/4eac34a0

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Who are these Hall of Fame pitchers and what MLB record do they share?

16425988_10207884394373518_1192536516948

At one time Drysdale held the record for most home runs by a pitcher in a season..don't know about the other two guys though.

He also held the record for consecutive scoreless innings but that was broken by Orel Hershiser. 

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Angel Oracle said:

Johnny Callison's HR in the bottom of the 9th inning, that won the 1964 ASG for the NL at brand new Shea Stadium

Who are the others in the photo?    I recognize 7 of them.

21 is Clemente...Casey Stengal is on the far right (Mets uni)

2 hours ago, fan_since79 said:

Dick Groat, Curt Flood, Willie Mays (?), Billy Williams, Clemente, Stengel. I think Ken Boyer is in there too.

I had to look up Cincinnati's #6.

#6 looks just like Juan Rivera.

Why are they giving the hero a tittie twister? Was that the custom in the early 60's?