• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Baseball Photo Trivia

First Oldtimers Game for me had one humorous thing.    Dick Stuart was batting against Drysdale, and he suddenly runs to the mound with a bottle of Vitalis in his hand, a take off on the popular commercial of that time where the pitcher has greasy kid stuff in his hair, which was easy for the ump to find on the ball, and he ejected the pitcher from the game.       

5 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Lookie, lookie, here comes Cookie...Lovagetto.

Floyd Bevens..maybe Bill. I don't remember his first name.

Floyd was his real name but he was known as Bill. 

Cookie Lavagetto broke up his World Series no-hitter with two outs in the 9th inning with a walk-off two-run double. Dodgers beat the Yankees 3-2 but ultimately lost the Series. That's Bevens walking dejectedly toward the clubhouse moments after the game.

On 9/28/2017 at 1:31 PM, fan_since79 said:

I was reading a story about the two-inning exhibition game they held that day between Yankee oldtimers and former stars from other teams.

Cobb led off the game and warned the infielders that his grip on the bat was shaky and it might fly out of his hands. They played back, and he laid down a nice bunt. But his 61-year old legs couldn't get him to first base before the throw got there. He was fuming after being called out, but a few moments later broke out into a grin, realizing it was all for fun.

I was going to suggest that Albert try something like this until I read about him being thrown out.

1 hour ago, Angels#1Fan said:

Gooden.

Yep. It turned the whole NLCS around. A game-tying two run homer in the 9th at Shea by none other than our fearless skipper. Instead of being down 3 games to 1, the series would be even.

Kirk Gibson put the Dodgers ahead with a solo home run in the 12th inning. Hershiser came in to face one batter in the bottom of the inning with the bases loaded and got the save.

14 minutes ago, makepeac said:

Tinker to Evers to Chance.

Baseball's Sad Lexicon

by Franklin Pierce Adams

Published: New York Evening Mail (July 10, 1910)

These are the saddest of possible words:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."
Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds,
Tinker and Evers and Chance.
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble,
Making a Giant hit into a double-
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble:
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."