• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Is it time to add?

Docwaukee

Considering that we are in a legit position to take a WC card spot, is it time to take on a salary dump or two if it makes the team better for the remaining 45 games?  

Am I say we should trade prospects for the potential of playing one extra game?  Hell no.   But how about a low level prospect or two for a guy on a team out of contention?  

It might not even mean taking on a ton of salary.  Just someone who's set to be a FA at seasons end or after 2018.  

A couple guys to consider:

Matt Moore - currently rocking an era near 6 but misses bats and could turn things around with a change of scenery.  Has an 8 mil option for next year with a 1mil buyout.  Giant don't seem ready to sell even though they should.  

Carlos Gomez - Granted, he's a head case and probably a headache, but would be some nice OF depth.  

Justin Upton - owed 4/88 but probably going to opt out.  having a great year.  

Ian Kinsler - 35 and not having a great year.  A good option if you aren't giving up anything.  

Asdrubel Cabrera - has a 2mil buy on an 8.5 mil option for next year.  A nice option for 2b.  Mets are going to want to contend next year so likely not an option.  

Curtis Granderson - FA after the year.  low avg.  .800 ops.  Platoon option in LF?  

Neil Walker - FA after the season.  avg 2bman.  probably not much more value than what we've got.  

Matt Kemp - of the 42.5 mil owed over the next two years, 12 mil is paid by the pads and dogs.  If Billy could get ATL to kick in another 10 (5mil per), then he's only owed 20mil over the next two years.  For the bad rap that he gets, he's got an ops+ over 115 since 2013.   I could see him being a guy that craps the bed in 2018 and beyond but at 10mil per over the next two years, I consider taking a shot.  

Edison Volquez - 33 yo with a 4.19 era.  peripherals are good.  owed 13mil next year.  

Feel free to add your suggestions.  

Ever since we came back to tie the game last night I've thought of ways on how we could add Upton to the line up. 

Upton is who I'd prefer (I can't imagine he'd cost much at all given his opt out) but he then takes the spot of Maybin/Revere, who do you hit leadoff? 

I prefer to keep Simba right where he is now hitting 5th or so, he's been awesome for us there so why mess with that? Our other options would be to add Kinsler as well and hit him leadoff or try Kole back at leadoff. 

Maybin/Revere combo are definitely not a good enough reason not to add a bat like Upton's but it would cause some line up shuffling.

Verlander.  

Pay the prospect price appropriate for a #2 starter for 45 games as it's likely he'll opt out at the end of the year to get more guaranteed salary, see this post by MLBTR Connor Bryce:  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/08/justin-verlander-could-opt-out-if-traded.html.

" In order to mitigate the risk of an acquiring team losing Verlander over the winter, the Tigers could agree to pay that club around $10MM per year over each of the next two seasons if he declines his opt-out, a source suggested to Morosi. That would give Verlander a chance to test drive a new team before making an opt-out decision and give that employer “financial protection from injury or underperformance,” Morosi writes."

if the Angels are going to add, gamble big and add a pitcher that could get them through the WC playoff game.

I kind of think it's time to add.  I figured we were done, mostly because I can't fathom thinking hard about the playoffs when we were 3 games under .500, in August.  So if we are going to add you almost have to add a guy like Verlander.  Someone who could dominate a one game playoff. Maybe the best pen piece left available.  When you look at our team a lot of parts of the team self corrected.  Which is why we've played well this month.

2 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Kemp would be interesting. I dont want him, but with his contract, might be the most realistic

Braves are playing young guys everywhere....also are playing Matt Adams some in LF...Kemp could be had....so could Brandon Phillips, who would be a better pick up (much cheaper, better year) than Kinsler....

1 hour ago, wopphil said:

Verlander. Take on all his salary (we can afford it). 

Because it would only be a little over a quarter of the 2017 salary, the Halos would stay under the threshold.   Would be nice to have an ace caliber guy.   The tricky part is what prospects would go to the Tigers.

The Halos should try to improve themselves now (really wishing Hernandez was still here).    But also refrain from giving up too much for a potential rental (if opting out).

And that is the worry, because Verlander is still rock solid.   It will likely take one of the big prospects at least, maybe two.

I just can't do that for a likely rental, just to win a WC game.

Its past time, way past.  

This team has shown more balls this year on the field than i can remember from any other team.  They never give up, they keep coming back.  They have scratched and clawed their way back into the WC race with an entire starting rotation on the DL, a patchwork bullpen, an offensive offense comprised of mostly clean peanuts.... all reason they shouldnt be there, but there they are.  

The front office on the other hand literally gave up at the deadline, this team should have folder based on that message but instead they got better in spite of the front office failures.
I will never even consider money as a roadblock, thats bullshit.  Our TV deal covers the entire payroll up to the cap almost.  Paying the penalty even for a year or two to take advantage of the best player on the planet should have been a foregone conclusion.  Can you literally imagine ANY other team wasting these years like we have?  And now this year getting an MVP caliber seasons out of Simmons too?  How can they piss this away?  A few playoff home games would cover the costs of the luxury tax if we made it.  

I dont have any illusions about being a WS contender but isnt making the playoffs the goal, isnt that what matters?   What is the benefit to hanging around 500 every year?   It isnt getting great draft picks so were hurting our own rebuilding if thats the plan.  

I dont understand the goal of the front office right now and i feel like ive gone back in time to the old days of being small  market also rans in the Dodgers world.  

14 minutes ago, floplag said:

Its past time, way past.  

This team has shown more balls this year on the field than i can remember from any other team.  They never give up, they keep coming back.  They have scratched and clawed their way back into the WC race with an entire starting rotation on the DL, a patchwork bullpen, an offensive offense comprised of mostly clean peanuts.... all reason they shouldnt be there, but there they are.  

The front office on the other hand literally gave up at the deadline, this team should have folder based on that message but instead they got better in spite of the front office failures.
I will never even consider money as a roadblock, thats bullshit.  Our TV deal covers the entire payroll up to the cap almost.  Paying the penalty even for a year or two to take advantage of the best player on the planet should have been a foregone conclusion.  Can you literally imagine ANY other team wasting these years like we have?  And now this year getting an MVP caliber seasons out of Simmons too?  How can they piss this away?  A few playoff home games would cover the costs of the luxury tax if we made it.  

I dont have any illusions about being a WS contender but isnt making the playoffs the goal, isnt that what matters?   What is the benefit to hanging around 500 every year?   It isnt getting great draft picks so were hurting our own rebuilding if thats the plan.  

I dont understand the goal of the front office right now and i feel like ive gone back in time to the old days of being small  market also rans in the Dodgers world.  

They "piss it away" because the team was under .500 in late July.  As far as giving up on the season, no not really.  It's more of not mortgaging the future on a team that was under .500.  They literally moved one bullpen piece.  Sure we could use him, but I trust Eppler got a guy he valued.  

2 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Adding to what Flop said, if Arte doesn't spend back up to the tax threshold for the right players in the next 18 months, then it's clearly time to sell the team.

It should have been done in the last 18 months.  They should have moved on from the mistakes and got back to the business of taking advantage of having a player like Trout.  

I dont even count Albert in that list, we knew that wouldn't end well from day one, but the Hackiltons of the world... We fucked up, so what, get over it, move on.  I know easy to say its not my money blah blah blah... well when you have virtually the entire payroll up to the tax covered by a TV deal it isnt their either.  Its freaking monopoly money, go get Broadway buy a hotel and let do this. 

Ill say it right now all these people talking about Trout for life are kidding themselves... he will not stay here is we arent relevant and making the playoffs.. no way no how never happen.  Would you in his place?  I wouldn't.  

3 minutes ago, floplag said:

It should have been done in the last 18 months.  They should have moved on from the mistakes and got back to the business of taking advantage of having a player like Trout.  

I dont even count Albert in that list, we knew that wouldn't end well from day one, but the Hackiltons of the world... We fucked up, so what, get over it, move on.  I know easy to say its not my money blah blah blah... well when you have virtually the entire payroll up to the tax covered by a TV deal it isnt their either.  Its freaking monopoly money, go get Broadway buy a hotel and let do this. 

Ill say it right now all these people talking about Trout for life are kidding themselves... he will not stay here is we arent relevant and making the playoffs.. no way no how never happen.  Would you in his place?  I wouldn't.  

Unless of course Mike stays because he wants to be here.  And because you wouldn't has zero reflection on what Mike will do.  Plus trading away what we have on the farm that will be up here to make us good when he's about to hit free agency is a horrible idea.  

5 minutes ago, Stradling said:

They "piss it away" because the team was under .500 in late July.  As far as giving up on the season, no not really.  It's more of not mortgaging the future on a team that was under .500.  They literally moved one bullpen piece.  Sure we could use him, but I trust Eppler got a guy he valued.  

How is it mortgaging anything to take on contracts?  Im not suggesting trading the farm we dont have anything to trade thats going to matter at this point.   There are more ways than trading prospects to acquire players.   Look at the names that have cleared waivers, how do we not put in claims on some of these people, how do we just let that go buy? 

As for the one bullpen piece, he moved it from a place that has been our Achilles, and for what?  to give the Bees a little depth in 2 years?  He weakened the big league club, for that?   Its not even really the point it was the fact that instead of trying to actually help the club, he spent time on that... thats the best he could do?   really? 

Just now, Stradling said:

Unless of course Mike stays because he wants to be here.  And because you wouldn't has zero reflection on what Mike will do.  Plus trading away what we have on the farm that will be up here to make us good when he's about to hit free agency is a horrible idea.  

Fair enough, but were not talking about a random guy, were talking about perhaps the best of the generation, who is an unapologetic east coast person.  He could do this shit in Philly and be home.  You think thats not a consideration?    You think he doesnt want to be a perennial contender for more than a 500 WC shot?    We have to make him want to stay, and were not doing that in my opinion. 
Again i never suggested trading the farm, its not the only way to get things done.  We have nothing there anyway so its moot.  

An offense-first infielder, a durable SP, and a reliever would be my targets to add cheaply, not in that order.

Acquiring a SP serves a dual-purpose as well, as it takes an opportunity away from Seattle to add to their hurting staff.

Estrada would be another option too. 

8 minutes ago, floplag said:

How is it mortgaging anything to take on contracts?  Im not suggesting trading the farm we dont have anything to trade thats going to matter at this point.   There are more ways than trading prospects to acquire players.   Look at the names that have cleared waivers, how do we not put in claims on some of these people, how do we just let that go buy? 

As for the one bullpen piece, he moved it from a place that has been our Achilles, and for what?  to give the Bees a little depth in 2 years?  He weakened the big league club, for that?   Its not even really the point it was the fact that instead of trying to actually help the club, he spent time on that... thats the best he could do?   really? 

The pen wasn't our Achilles hill offense has been all season.  Now our offense has been performing and Norris has been bad.  

3 minutes ago, totdprods said:

An offense-first infielder, a durable SP, and a reliever would be my targets to add cheaply, not in that order.

Acquiring a SP serves a dual-purpose as well, as it takes an opportunity away from Seattle to add to their hurting staff.

Estrada would be another option too. 

why is cheaply a consideration though, were not TB