• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Trout for MVP talk is starting

yk9001

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

My hope is to see Trout finish no worse than 2nd, and Simmons somehow crack the top 5.   The Halos, to my recollection, have never, eeever had two top 5's.  

Don't see that happening, either.  Defense-first SS don't have a great recent track record in MVP voting.  Even Ozzie only finished in the top 10 once (1987, when Andre Dawson from the last-place Cubs won...).  I realize Simmons is having a better offensive year than Ozzie did that year--but his offensive stats are still just going to be good-to-very-good at a glance.  If he had 20 HR and 100 RBI to go along with his defense, then, sure, maybe he'd crack the top 5 even in a mediocre year for the Angels.  But don't see it happening this year.

Trout would have to play every game for the rest of the season to have a chance to win the MVP.  Why?  There is precedence for this.  George Brett won the MVP playing just 117 games, which is the least amount of games ever played by an MVP winner.  Anything less than that and his chances will be very slim.

Discussion on this:  https://twitter.com/IntentionalTalk/status/895031502685315074

10 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

Trout would have to play every game for the rest of the season to have a chance to win the MVP.  Why?  There is precedence for this.  George Brett won the MVP playing just 117 games, which is the least amount of games ever played by an MVP winner.  Anything less than that and his chances will be very slim.

Discussion on this:  https://twitter.com/IntentionalTalk/status/895031502685315074

I thought @Angel Oracle posted something earlier about McCovey winning MVP award playing in less games.

30 minutes ago, VariousCrap said:

And KC made it to the world series that year.

3 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I just wish the MVP award would be defined. 

Is it MOST VALUABLE PLAYER to the team or to the league, or both?

If it's both, or even to the league, I think Trout should be the unanimous choice IMHO. 

I've always liked the idea of splitting the MVP into two awards, one being something like the 'Kirk Gibson Award' - most valuable to his team making the postseason, and the 'Barry Bonds Award' - the best overall position player. So you'd have three awards:

Cy Young Award - best pitcher

Barry Bonds Award - best position player

Kirk Gibson Award - most valuable player (pitcher or hitter)

I think a lot of the confusion comes because the Barry Bonds and Kirk Gibson awards are combined.

(And I'm not attached to those players being named - they just work well to describe what I'm getting at)

1 minute ago, Angelsjunky said:

I've always liked the idea of splitting the MVP into two awards, one being something like the 'Kirk Gibson Award' - most valuable to his team making the postseason, and the 'Barry Bonds Award' - the best overall position player. So you'd have three awards:

Cy Young Award - best pitcher

Barry Bonds Award - best position player

Kirk Gibson Award - most valuable player (pitcher or hitter)

I think a lot of the confusion comes because the Barry Bonds and Kirk Gibson awards are combined.

(And I'm not attached to those players being named - they just work well to describe what I'm getting at)

I do like that idea too.

I hate the idea of splitting it. Detracts from the recognition.

I do think the name muddles it. One or the other should be renamed so it's clearly 'Best Hitter' and 'Best Pitcher' (attribute it to a player like Cy Young) or rename it to 'Most Valuable Pitcher' and 'Most Valuable Hitter' so it strips away all this back and forth about whether or not a player has to come from a playoff team or if a pitcher can win the MVP.