• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Which Pujols scenario do you predict within three years?

28 minutes ago, YouthofToday said:

If it was up to me he would be informed after the season he was going to be DFAed. Up to him if he wanted to manage that by "retiring" where he still got the money. He better not be on the 2018 roster. 

No way in hell should they DFA the guy.  I get it, he isn't performing, but DFAing is the wrong choice.  Put him on the bench or bat him 9th. He will retire rather than sit on the bench.  

3 hours ago, Scotty@AW said:

2018 - Albert will still hit 4th or 5th until late in the season. 

2019 - Pujols moves down in the order as he rightfully should. 

2020 - Becomes the first player-coach in many years.  Pujols will serve as hitting coach (with another as well) but also be available for late inning pinch hitting and spot starts. 

2021 - Pujols will retire from playing and take a job in the front office.

2023 - Pujols serves as guest instructor during Spring Training and hints that he may look to own, manage or be a general manager in the future. 

2024 - Pujols returns to Angels as bench coach.

2025 - Pujols takes over as manager of the Angels. 

I don't know if this is sarcastic but I am pretty sure there is a zero percent chance Pujols is ever a coach or manager.

I know the argument has been made before, but there is going to have to be a player who is head and shoulders better at the dish before Albert gets benched.  And that's a catch-22 because they aren't going to sign another player to take his place.  

Best case scenario is that we sneak into the WC, catch fire in the playoffs and win a WS.  Albert collect about 50 more hits through the rest of the year and ends up about 30 shy of 3000 going into 2018.  He then announces his farewell tour season, gets his 3000th hit, and retires.  

Honestly, I think there has to be something building within Albert about his legacy as one of the premier hitters in baseball history and what his decline is doing to that.   Hitting .228 through 113 games has to be wearing on him.  I can't imagine he'll want to continue at that level for long.  He'll play next year for sure  but if the same results occur, It wouldn't surprise me if he calls it a day after 2019.  

3 hours ago, Puget Sound Angel said:

I would hope he would gracefully fall on his sword after 2019 at the latest.

Depends on how badly he wants 3000 hits. Is he willing to sacrifice a career .300 BA for 3000 hits?

His career BA when he joined the Angels was .328, today it is .306. It won't take long to drop it below .300. A shame.

4 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Honestly, I think there has to be something building within Albert about his legacy as one of the premier hitters in baseball history and what his decline is doing to that.   Hitting .228 through 113 games has to be wearing on him.  I can't imagine he'll want to continue at that level for long.  He'll play next year for sure  but if the same results occur, It wouldn't surprise me if he calls it a day after 2019.  

This is where I am with the situation.  I can see him telling himself it's a lost season and that he was finally due....  I can't see him being okay with next year being a repeat of this one..  

6 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I know the argument has been made before, but there is going to have to be a player who is head and shoulders better at the dish before Albert gets benched.  And that's a catch-22 because they aren't going to sign another player to take his place.  

Best case scenario is that we sneak into the WC, catch fire in the playoffs and win a WS.  Albert collect about 50 more hits through the rest of the year and ends up about 30 shy of 3000 going into 2018.  He then announces his farewell tour season, gets his 3000th hit, and retires.  

This is my take. I mentioned a few weeks back i wouldnt be suprised of he announces over the winter his farewell tour. I know that leaves a lot of money on the table, but you cant think of it as we regular people do. 

By all accounts, i dont see him being "in to it" much longer. The guy is obviously not right physically, and i doubt this winter he suddenly goes all crossfit and comes back "in the best shape of his life". 

The more and more he is called out by the fans and media, rhe more and more he gets fooled by average pitching, rhe more and more he cant do anything to sbut people up, the less i see him wanting to have that spotlight on him.

Maybe next year is too soon. But if next year there is no improvement (likely), i think 2019 is his retirement tour where he wants to go out with goodwill. Not to be "a good guy", but to feel better peronally about how hes viewed.

1 hour ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

Depends on how badly he wants 3000 hits. Is he willing to sacrifice a career .300 BA for 3000 hits?

His career BA when he joined the Angels was .328, today it is .306. It won't take long to drop it below .300. A shame.

Yep. I think he's a lock for the hall of fame but even if he gets to 3,000 hits he's going to look awful getting there. 

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

He needs about 80 hits to get to 3000, he will get 30 or so more hits this year.  I could see him announcing next year as his last.  Only problem with that is what if he has a season ending injury before he gets to 3000?  I'm guessing he'd come back again to start another season.  

With the Angels, it seems as if only the good players get hurt so that scenario is unlikely to happen.

13 hours ago, ettin said:

Wait Blarg are you Albert's accountant? Sorry I didn't know that.

Are you a rocket scientist or not? The Angels are worth $1.75 billion dollars. Pujols would only qualify for minority ownership at best.

Currently his total income, not including endorsements would reach $230 million over the span of his career. Now deduct taxes, expenses, agent fees, money he already spent and even with the best investment advice he is barely going to reach that 1/4 billion mark. A nice down payment but he isn't going to get a loan for the other $1.5 billion with no other assests or source of income. 

He's made multimillionaire money in a multibillionaire world. He's not buying the team as a majority owner in five years.

Edited by Blarg

11 hours ago, YouthofToday said:

If it was up to me he would be informed after the season he was going to be DFAed. Up to him if he wanted to manage that by "retiring" where he still got the money. He better not be on the 2018 roster. 

About the only way that works is as a player/manager like Robinson did back in 1975. Then he would keep his current contract. 

3 hours ago, Vladdylonglegs said:

I can give you 114 million reasons to doubt his word. Also, he just said the other day that he doesn't mind when he goes 0-25 because he eventually hits a HR in-between those stretches. That's what contributing means to him.

????

I don't know him personally but I've also never heard about him going back on his word or anything similar? This has me confused. Not saying he's not sucking right now because he is but it's the honesty thing I'm trying to wrap my head around your statement.

Edited by ettin

47 minutes ago, Blarg said:

Are you a rocket scientist or not? The Angels are worth $1.75 billion dollars. Pujols would only qualify for minority ownership at best.

Currently his total income, not including endorsements would reach $230 million over the span of his career. Now deduct taxes, expenses, agent fees, money he already spent and even with the best investment advice he is barely going to reach that 1/4 billion mark. A nice down payment but he isn't going to get a loan for the other $1.5 billion with no other assests or source of income. 

He's made multimillionaire money in a multibillionaire world. He's not buying the team as a majority owner in five years.

Blarg I clearly stated in the original that he could come in as either a minority owner or possibly a full owner at some point down the line. Not sure why it got your hair raised up in the original response but your insight into his personal finances is the issue here. You don't know what he has or doesn't have so why are you pretending like you do?

I'm simply pointing out that this is a possibility at some future point. Yes he may not have the money at that future point to buy the team outright but until you produce his tax records and sources of income stating unequivocally that he doesn't have the money to be a minority or full owner is a stretch. To think that Albert hasn't invested or built his income up through other sources seems odd to me.

You may be right he may not have the cash to buy the team. But maybe he does. That is my point, you don't know (and neither do I). Moreno himself has taken the value he invested in the Angels (what was it like $200 something million?) and turned it into $1.75B in just a short 15 year span? I never said five years you put those words out there not me. I clearly stated that Pujols 10 year personal services contract would be a potential bridge to ownership. Nothing more nothing less.

You have your opinion about it and I have mine. You feel it is absolutely impossible for him to buy a majority share or the entire team. I'm saying it's not impossible. My original statement said he could be a minority owner or possibly buy the team and I stand by that as it was my opinion that minority ownership is very achievable for Pujols and possibly more.

My only point back to you was how do you know what Pujols can or cannot do financially. Looking back I could have phrased it better because it sounds a bit snarky so I apologize if it sounded like a personal attack.

8 minutes ago, ettin said:

????

I don't know him personally but I've also never heard about him going back on his word or anything similar? This has me confused. Not saying he's not sucking right now because he is but it's the honesty thing I'm trying to wrap my head around in your statement.

When a player doesn't perform fans assume the worst about them on and off the field.