• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Don Baylor has passed away

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, first time was in 82....  But I was 12 and a huge Reggie fanboy...   So, when Preston took us down to meet the players I went right to Reggie..  LOL...  

Funny enough i was a reggie guy too...same story on my end, lol. 

Kids are stupid. Baylor wouldve been the "cool guy" for adult me

Posted on March 23, 2015

cdd02-040114-west-mlb-don-baylor2-pi-vad

There’s something about Don Baylor that makes teams win. Almost everywhere he played, success followed. Not only was he the first Angels MVP in 1979, he helped the club win its first-ever pennant. Later in his career, he again showed his leadership and success by leading three different teams to the postseason in three consecutive years (1986-1988).

Known as “Groove,” Baylor was a fearsome hitter who crowded the plate and is 4th all-time in getting hit by the pitch. As a player, Baylor knew how to command the strike zone. In a career that spanned 19 years in the Majors, Baylor only had 1 season in which he struck out more than 100 times. During his MVP season, he walked more times than he struck out (71 BBs to 51 Ks) while slugging 36 homeruns and driving in 139 RBIs.

With all of his success on the field, it was not surprising when the Angels – a team that he still wants to help win a World Series – brought him back to be the Hitting Coach. And, for long-time fans, it wasn’t all that surprising that in his first year back that success and the postseason returned to the Angels. 

AngelsWin.com was very pleased to welcome Don Baylor as our special guest during the Fanfest Dinner this year. Covering topics from how he got his nickname, to his mentors, to memories from his time as a player, and how he works as a coach, this is a must-watch interview where we asked the questions that you, the fans, wanted asked.

Please click below to watch the AngelsWin.com interview with the Angels Hitting Coach Don Baylor.

I always thought Reggie was a jackass. Baylor, Grich, Lynn and Downing we're my favorite players. I was pretty disappointed when they let Baylor walk, especially since he went to the Red Sox and was part of the '86 team.

His second to last year he played for the Twins after being traded by the Red Sox and went back to the World Series, this time he got his World Series ring. He played in 5 of the 7 games series and batted .385/.467/.615/1.046. 

Weird that he passed the morning before the O's play the Angels, the two teams he played for the longest.

I was born in '85 so I never saw him play as an Angel.  But growing up he was always talked about, being the Angels' only (at the time) MVP.  And then of course he'd always be around the team after he retired, and his brief stint as the hitting coach a couple years back.

Thoughts and well wishes to his family.  

The "Yes We Can" 1979 Angels were the year I became a diehard Angels' fan. I was 11.I remember how strong he stood in the batters box.  I remember when the 1980 Topps baseball cards came out I bought pack after pack just trying to get one Don Baylor card. I had like seven Joe Rudi cards, but never got a Don Baylor. Finally, I had a friend who had two and we worked out a trade. I also remember when they opened the Angels Hardware Store in Alta Loma. Don Baylor and Dave Frost were there signing autographed photos. I still have those somewhere. Fond memories.

Loved having Baylor on the halos. I remember a homer he hit at the Big A, and I swear that ball was never higher than ten feet off the ground. Can't remember anyone hitting the ball harder than him.

was sitting down the third base line for a game in '79. Big Don roped one foul and it was headed my way. Took one bounce on the dirt and headed right a team me. All I had to do was reach my hand out about six inches away from my hip and catch that smoking hot liner. My life flashed before my eyes, however, and all I could picture was the ball hitting my hand and leaving a bloody stump as the ball with a bloody hand attached to it keep screaming through the seats, like something you'd see in a cartoon.

Edited by Tank