• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Big Changes Announced for Starting Rotation

Im holding my excitement for skaggs. Not about him effecting the outcome of the season, but he and richards i still want to see stay actually prove they are healthy before i get excited.

On the plus side, at minimum, these guys are finally back, so there is at least hope going forward.

1 hour ago, fan_since79 said:

Scribner starts Friday, Skaggs on Saturday.

Chavez to the bullpen.

Here we go! Wild card in sight!

I don't expect much out of Skaggs in terms of his effectiveness, but hey you never know, hopefully he'll surprise but I wouldn't hold my breath.

I mean it's not like he has a history of dominance or good health.

Buyer beware.

Skaggs was getting into a #3 groove before getting injured, and that's probably the best we can expect from him.

Also, don't forget about Heaney, who should be up soon. We could end the year with a rotation that includes Skaggs, Heaney, Meyer, Scribner, and Bridwell - or maybe Ramirez instead of Scribner.

Shoemaker's injury is a mystery, and I don't expect Richards to be back this year if ever.

14 hours ago, halomatt said:

I read somewhere (Fletcher?) that moving Chavez was a cost savings move that would save the Angels $1.7 million.

I'm guessing someone needs to refuel. 

Wasn't me. 

Chavez got $100K on his 10th, 12th and 14th start. He got $150K on his 16th and 18th. He got $200K on his 20th. 

So they paid him $800K already. 

He would have gotten $250K on his 22nd (next), then $250K on his 24th, $300K on 26th, $400K on 28th, $500K on 30th.

I find it hard to believe that pulling him from the rotation at this particular time was financially movtivated. The Angels payroll is like $170 million or something so these amounts are rounding errors. They were OK paying him $200K for his 20th start but $250K for his 22nd would have been too much?

The reason you sign a guy for $5.75M plus incentives, instead of guaranteeing him $8M is because you don't expect him to make 30 starts. And that's what happened. 

5 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Yeah if Chavez misses some incentives it's on him and his pitching, much like Nolasco not getting his player option will be

Seriously. We are paying too much to pujols and hamilton to be running a charity for bad pitchers.

4 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

When you see Nolasco pitch, do you say this is the last piece we need to make a world series run? If your average fan doesn't want to start him what makes a GM think any differently?

quality starts? veteran presence? innings eater?

hey, you asked. i'm just trying to give you an answer. lol.

8 minutes ago, ukyah said:

quality starts? veteran presence? innings eater?

hey, you asked. i'm just trying to give you an answer. lol.

I'd say hes good for being the full time pitcher during the home run derby. Complete game only 132 home runs allowed. Pretty good stat line I suppose.

19 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

When you see Nolasco pitch, do you say this is the last piece we need to make a world series run? If your average fan doesn't want to start him what makes a GM think any differently?

I mean...technically, he has a lower era than one of seatle's starting 5 (Gallardo), and two of the orioles starting 6 (Miley and Jimenez, with a freaking 6.56 era). Not saying that we would get a lot for Nolasco, or even that we should help teams trying to beat us out for a playoff spot, buttt....

13 minutes ago, Angelsfan1984 said:

I suspect what Eppler sees is a 4.27 ERA as an Angel in 33 starts.....no great but not terrible, at least until you get somebody better....

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nolasri01.shtml

The main reason the Angels are 53-55 and not 65-43 and in contention for the division comes down to offense not pitching. Don't get me wrong, Chavez and Nolasco have not been good. JC Ramirez has been better than expected and Meyer and Bridwell have both performed well. Amazingly with their top 6 starting pitchers on the DL, they've cobbled together a decent staff. They have a 4.28 ERA from their starters, and a 4.01 ERA from their relievers, it's actually slightly above average as a whole. ERA+ of 101. Nolasco and Chavez are both among the league leaders in home runs allowed and that is really their main issue. 

Most other counting stats have the Angels in the top 3rd of the AL in pitching. For comparison purposes, we rank in the bottom 3rd overall in almost every offensive category. We are 12th in OBP and AVG, 15th in SLG and OPS.

Hopefully the offense can keep up what they've done in the last ten games, and we can move into wildcard contention.

53 minutes ago, DMVol said:

I suspect what Eppler sees is a 4.27 ERA as an Angel in 33 starts.....no great but not terrible, at least until you get somebody better....

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/n/nolasri01.shtml

My eyeballs see a guy get absolutely lit up nearly every outing. Between him and Chavez we are getting non competitive starters for 2 of 5 games. That's not going to win a wildcard spot let alone a division.