• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

I was a Pete Rose HOF advocate, until...

1 hour ago, floplag said:

i think your arguing semantics a bit, but there is a marked difference between your stuff being there and you not being.  
I get it, i understand why fully, and i support his being banned from being associated with the game, i just think its gotten silly at this point is all. 

Your post argued that his achievements on the field needed to be recognized -- I'm simply pointing out that the HOF has in fact recognized his accomplishments and that he's noted as the all time hits leader in the HOF.   Again, you can see Pete Rose jerseys bats and hats there it's not like they have tried to erase him or his legacy.  What they haven't done is honor him as a HOFer, a personal distinction he desperately wants but he's been locked out of due to his own poor judgement.

His exclusion from the HOF like that of Joe Jackson's is something people will always talk about and will always be up for debate -- in that sense it's elevated Rose to a level most HOFers never reach.   People will always talk about Pete Rose, there are dozens of HOFers nobody remembers much less talk about.  In some ways his exclusion is a huge part of his legacy..  

To be perfectly frank I totally understand your position, the asterisk stating he had been banned seems like a decent compromise.  

On July 31, 2017 at 1:47 PM, California Cajun said:

He remains a distraction to baseball 28 years after his lifetime ban, and putting him in the HOF for his accomplishments would probably shift attention away from him.  The NFL suspended Paul Hornung for one season for gambling and there is no circus around him.

Apples and oranges. The NFL doesn't have rule stating the penalty for gambling on games is a lifetime ban like MLB. Rose knew the rule and decided to break them. He accepted the penalty. The only reason it's a circus is because of Rose. 

Upon learning of his one-year ban, Hornung admitted he gambled and said,"I am truly sorry."

Rose continually denied the gambling accusations for 15 years, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

32 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

To be perfectly frank I totally understand your position, the asterisk stating he had been banned seems like a decent compromise.  

I disagree. 

Why should MLB have to compromise their rules for Pete Rose? 

39 minutes ago, Lou said:

I disagree. 

Why should MLB have to compromise their rules for Pete Rose? 

I'm not saying they should, I'm saying I understand why people feel they could have found some middle ground if they wanted to -- to date they haven't felt the need to and FWIW, I'm in the camp that believes he did this to himself.   As a side note, I don't know how much control MLB has over the HOF, from what I understand the HOF is it's own private entity.  It's probably something I should have taken more interest in or have a better understanding of but for whatever reasons I've just never been all that big on the HOF or the HOF voting.   Bobby Grich not being in there while lesser 2B are has always ground my gears and made me lose interest.

No Bobby!  No Peace!

43 minutes ago, Lou said:

Rose continually denied the gambling accusations for 15 years, despite mountains of evidence to the contrary.

Rose has been a real lout about it ..   The dude basically called everyone else liars.  He's about as shitty a human being as you can find in a non murdering POS.

4 hours ago, Stradling said:

I believe the hall is recognizing what he did on the field, he bet on baseball, while on the field.  He's paying for his actions.

His fans don't care that he broke the golden rule and then lied about it for years..they think he belongs because he got the most hits and anything else he did shouldn't matter.

Betting on baseball alone is enough for a life time ban and is indeed why he was banned.

3 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

Rose has been a real lout about it ..   The dude basically called everyone else liars.  He's about as shitty a human being as you can find in a non murdering POS.

Now that I think about it, I've never seen Rose and Lance Armstrong at the same party 

3 hours ago, Angels#1Fan said:

His fans don't care that he broke the golden rule and then lied about it for years..they think he belongs because he got the most hits and anything else he did shouldn't matter.

Betting on baseball alone is enough for a life time ban and is indeed why he was banned.

Fans don't run the hall of Fame. Which is a good thing because they have completely ruined All Star selections and would be just as near sighted when it comes to the hall voting.

Growing up as an Angels fan in the 70's I adopted the Big Red Machine as my October team. Loved that whole roster but I'm a firm believer that if you willingly engage in something that you know without a doubt will result in a lifetime ban then you have to live out that ban. If the HoF chooses to honor that ban as well it's just part of the equation

43 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

It's still real to me, damnit!

How many of you date back to the 50s and 60s with Dick Lane hosting wrestling and Freddie Blassie, Mr. Moto, Bo Bo Brazil, and others!  Whoa Nellie!

It's kind of like Pete Rose moving from the baseball class to the seemy underworld of wrestling class with his transgressions.  Requiem for a gambler.

6 minutes ago, Dugout said:

Pete Rose should of just tested positive for opium or stab his pregnant girlfriend in a elevator like everyone else and he would of been in the HOF,   But hell no, he went and placed a bet on a baseball game.

Yep, that's all he did.  He placed one bet on one baseball game.