• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

I was a Pete Rose HOF advocate, until...

There are people who have done  "worse" in the hall.  It isnt about character, its about achievement on the field.  You cannot hall of hall of baseball greats that doesnt include its all time hit leader.  

I think baseball hoped someone would surpass him in that regard and they wouldnt have to deal with it but in truth i dont think that happens in my lifetime as there isnt anyone remotely close that has a chance.

The rest, well, there is no defending it, he shouldnt be allowed to take part in the game, or mlb related events, and i would not re-instate him in any way as he hasnt earned it thru his continued actions.... but the achievement, that one thing, has to be there in my opinion.  

10 hours ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

She was 16 and in Ohio that's the age of consent, but still. It was over 40 years ago so nothing to be done now.

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
July 31, 2017

PHILADELPHIA — A woman said she had a sexual relationship with the former baseball star Pete Rose in the 1970s, starting when she was 14 or 15 years old, according to testimony submitted to a court Monday.

9 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Who didn't like those Vegas.  Shoddy suspension (if you didn't have hemorrhoids, you'd have them after driving in one a few months), extremely underpowered, noisy engine and death traps.  Ah, the good ole days.

We had a 1975 Vega that lost power completely when driving uphill. Even the smallest incline and there was trouble. As long as you drove it on level ground it wasn't too bad. One day it didn't even start. My brother left it on the street for a few weeks and the city of Long Beach towed it away, and that was the end of it.

I was in favor of Rose being in the Hall for probably 10-15 years after his ban.  I've since changed my stance.  He's shown no remorse.  He's just an awful dude.  He's a me first type of guy off the field.  He lied and lied and lied.  I have zero issues whatsoever with him never being inducted.  Most of us watched him play and felt like because of the way he played he was respecting the game, playing it the right way, hustling.  He was everything we want to see from today's players.  But the whole time he's disrespecting the game by breaking the rules and gambling on the games.  Fuck him, he's getting exactly what he deserves.  

9 hours ago, IEAngelsfan said:

Who didn't like those Vegas.  Shoddy suspension (if you didn't have hemorrhoids, you'd have them after driving in one a few months), extremely underpowered, noisy engine and death traps.  Ah, the good ole days.

We had one of those Vegas - a 1976.

Maryland winters could be harsh, but certainly not the worst.

At two years old, we had to put a blanket over the car, and a heater in the garage, else it wouldn't start on cold mornings.

1 hour ago, floplag said:

There are people who have done  "worse" in the hall.  It isnt about character, its about achievement on the field.  You cannot hall of hall of baseball greats that doesnt include its all time hit leader.  

I think baseball hoped someone would surpass him in that regard and they wouldnt have to deal with it but in truth i dont think that happens in my lifetime as there isnt anyone remotely close that has a chance.

The rest, well, there is no defending it, he shouldnt be allowed to take part in the game, or mlb related events, and i would not re-instate him in any way as he hasnt earned it thru his continued actions.... but the achievement, that one thing, has to be there in my opinion.  

There is no doing worse to the game of baseball. That's what this is about. I don't care if he's a jerk or a pedophile or a nazi murderer. But gambling on baseball and potentially throwing games is the most detrimental thing that one can do to the game and the Hall of Fame is what you have done for the game of baseball. He shouldn't be in because of that.

1 hour ago, eaterfan said:

There is no doing worse to the game of baseball. That's what this is about. I don't care if he's a jerk or a pedophile or a nazi murderer. But gambling on baseball and potentially throwing games is the most detrimental thing that one can do to the game and the Hall of Fame is what you have done for the game of baseball. He shouldn't be in because of that.

Again, i agree with his ban from baseball, but the hall must recognize achievement on the field.  
Put an asterisk on the plaque whatever, but you simply cannot omit the man with the most hits in history, period.  
I'm not arguing leniency or even compassion, the man has shown his true colors many times over... but the simple fact is that he has more hits than any other player to put on a uniform, that cannot be ignored. 
Please dont assume im arguing for anything in terms of recognition other than that single point 

1 hour ago, floplag said:

Again, i agree with his ban from baseball, but the hall must recognize achievement on the field.  
Put an asterisk on the plaque whatever, but you simply cannot omit the man with the most hits in history, period.  
I'm not arguing leniency or even compassion, the man has shown his true colors many times over... but the simple fact is that he has more hits than any other player to put on a uniform, that cannot be ignored. 
Please dont assume im arguing for anything in terms of recognition other than that single point 

I believe the hall is recognizing what he did on the field, he bet on baseball, while on the field.  He's paying for his actions. 

2 hours ago, floplag said:

They recognize his being the all times hits leader.  They haven't stricken his name from the record books, they have his Reds and Phillies unis as well as his bats in the HOF.   So, if someone is looking for him, the memory of Pete Rose IS in the HOF...  

He's just not a HOFer.

36 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

They recognize his being the all times hits leader.  They haven't stricken his name from the record books, they have his Reds and Phillies unis as well as his bats in the HOF.   So, if someone is looking for him, the memory of Pete Rose IS in the HOF...  

He's just not a HOFer.

i think your arguing semantics a bit, but there is a marked difference between your stuff being there and you not being.  
I get it, i understand why fully, and i support his being banned from being associated with the game, i just think its gotten silly at this point is all. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I believe the hall is recognizing what he did on the field, he bet on baseball, while on the field.  He's paying for his actions. 

I agree, i just feel there is a difference in banning him from the game and not recognizing him in the hall.   One is a functional entity the other a museum.