• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Cowart-O-Meter

Nearing 50 PA (48) report card.

15 for 42 /.357

4 doubles, a triple, and a HR for a SLG of .571

4 BB  vs 11 K and an OBP of .426

24 Total Bases and 11 runs scored, not bad for 14 games

2 errors in 52 chances while not playing his regular position (except 1 game @3b)

11 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

The difference between the two is .18 pitches per PA. That is 2 whole pitches every 11 PA.

Not a big difference from the MLB average - just showing he's now above the MLB average. 

Last year, he was 3.24 pitches per PA. He was swinging at everything, and it showed.

3 hours ago, OregonLAA said:

Cowart' average is down since the platoon started to happen. I just don't get it. He's better defensively and has a chance to be a difference maker. Let him get his swings in and maybe get on a roll. Wtf

Mike likes platoons at the expense of a player who needs everyday at bats like Cron and Cowart and will use their inconsistent performance as an excuse to play the "dependable" vets more.  Truly one of his blind spots as a manager.

And, with TDs reaction to this post, I feel significantly better about my observations.

• 2 weeks later...

I am so glad to be so wrong.  I had given up on him as a prospect.  Now I feel like he is right at the core of the solution for this team going forward.

I want somebody like Solarte from SD and scoot Kaleb over to third to take advantage if that arm.

Anyway, I could not be happier to be proven wrong.

Cowart is the exact type of player that Eppler would pick up off waivers or trade cash consideration for.  For whatever reason, I don't think MS is totally sold on this kid.  I could be wrong but it feels like someone in the org has made up their mind about what he is which is a platoon at best util type.  

Not saying Cowart should be anointed with a starting spot as of yet, but he should certainly be considered for one relative to how he's looked this year so far.  

32 minutes ago, krAbs said:

You know whats weird? Cowart seemed like he is getting much more playing time when he was slumping. Its like MS just really loves the "slumping hitter comes through" narrative, and does whatever he can to make it happen.

It makes the manager look smart by sticking with said player when everyone else gives up on him.  

Cynicism angle:

MS doesn't want wins attributed to a player on a tear carrying the team.  He moves pieces around and if the team is successful, his personal fingerprints are all over it.  To me it's like modern art.  If it works you are a genius.  If it doesn't it was all just junk anyway.

Scioscia is good at making the narrative either he is getting by with junk or he is a genius.  No downside for him until somebody will balls blows him out of there, which we all know isn't happening.

38 minutes ago, krAbs said:

You know whats weird? Cowart seemed like he is getting much more playing time when he was slumping. Its like MS just really loves the "slumping hitter comes through" narrative, and does whatever he can to make it happen.

Didn't Cowart pull something and that cut into his playing time when he was going well?  

Just now, Inside Pitch said:

Didn't Cowart pull something and that cut into his playing time when he was going well?  

He did - I kind of assumed that only explained the first few missed starts though. Maybe MS is more sold on him than I had assumed, though. He's gotten a lot of time recently, right?

17 hours ago, krAbs said:

He did - I kind of assumed that only explained the first few missed starts though. Maybe MS is more sold on him than I had assumed, though. He's gotten a lot of time recently, right?

He has started 6 of the last 7 games, including vs a LHP on Monday. Overall he's started 19 of 25 games since they called him up. 

He is 4 for 19 in the last 7 games, with 2 HRs.

He is 7 for 48 since Aug 2, a stretch in which he's never gone more than one game without playing.