• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Storm Timelapse

For the same reason most of us live here...65-80 year round and no winter or extreme weather!

If you get in the mountains or desert areas you get some weather, I saw some amazing clouds over Mono Lake one day. But nothing like this.

When I spent the summer in Austin I used to go outside and watch the storms roll in...absolutely loved it.

20 minutes ago, red321 said:

For the same reason most of us live here...65-80 year round and no winter or extreme weather!

If you get in the mountains or desert areas you get some weather, I saw some amazing clouds over Mono Lake one day. But nothing like this.

When I spent the summer in Austin I used to go outside and watch the storms roll in...absolutely loved it.

Hey Red do you do landscapes? Know any great spots?

1 hour ago, yk9001 said:

Why can't we ever get cool stuff like that here?

We do.  We are just stuck in traffic and looking at our smartphones to look up.  Especially the sunsets.  If someone put the effort in in a fixed location with a wide lens, I'm sure they could make a killer short.

1 hour ago, red321 said:

I was once in Redlands, and watched the smog roll in.  Does that count?  And it's actually quite surreal looking, that you can watch a wall of smog move towards you.

1 hour ago, red321 said:

I primarily focus on landscape and travel. That's a pretty open question...what are you looking for...a specific area?

Ya I suppose it was. I guess what Im saying is I think I'm discovering that landscape is probably my favorite type of photography but I hardly do it because I never really know where to go shoot. I'm kinda over shooting the ocean / beaches / cityscapes around OC, so I imagine my best bet is to travel more. I'm more of a 'I have a day off tomorrow lets go shoot something' than a 'lets go to Italy' kinda guy. 

What are some of your favorite spots, be it general areas, specific monuments or great views?  

17 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Ya I suppose it was. I guess what Im saying is I think I'm discovering that landscape is probably my favorite type of photography but I hardly do it because I never really know where to go shoot. I'm kinda over shooting the ocean / beaches / cityscapes around OC, so I imagine my best bet is to travel more. I'm more of a 'I have a day off tomorrow lets go shoot something' than a 'lets go to Italy' kinda guy. 

What are some of your favorite spots, be it general areas, specific monuments or great views?  

There is a lot of great stuff up 395. The Eastern Sierras are spectacular, especially if you park the car and hike a few miles into the backcountry. You also have a shit ton of abandoned stuff, old towns, etc. laced throughout the area. If you research California ghost towns they are littered throughout that area.

A good starter is Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills area. You can wander through those rock formations for days and if you are there for sunrise the glow on Lone Pine Peak and Mt. Whitney can be awe inspiring.

Bishop/Buttermilk country or finding the winding Owens River (what's left of it) with the sierras as a backdrop. If you had up Bishop Creek Road, both South Lake and North Lake are jumping off points for hikes that put you in the Sierra backcountry within a few miles...you can day hike and have your mind blown. If you have a long weekend driver or Sherman Grade and head up towards Mono Lake and Bodie.

Fall colors in that area can be spectacular, it's usually mid Sep to mid Oct, there's a website that tracks it if you look.

The other side of the valley is Bristlecone Pine Forest (it's a trek on the car, don't need 4 wheel drive but it is a dirt road and you want to make sure your car isn't a Prius and is reliable). If you head out to Death Valley (suggestion...wait until November), sunrise on the dunes is a sight to behold.

Head out to Palm Springs, sunrise with the windmills is awesome. I think you can drive on a road through the windmills. Indian something or other road and the 10, just off the road...great spot to silhouette windmills.

Pioneer Town is cool. Kelso Dunes (haven't been...in Mojave...again...I would suggest fall/winter on that one!).

Basically the southwest is a landscape photographers dream. Southern Utah, Grand Canyon, and the country in between (Page, etc.) is also spectacular.

9 hours ago, red321 said:

There is a lot of great stuff up 395. The Eastern Sierras are spectacular, especially if you park the car and hike a few miles into the backcountry. You also have a shit ton of abandoned stuff, old towns, etc. laced throughout the area. If you research California ghost towns they are littered throughout that area.

A good starter is Lone Pine and the Alabama Hills area. You can wander through those rock formations for days and if you are there for sunrise the glow on Lone Pine Peak and Mt. Whitney can be awe inspiring.

Bishop/Buttermilk country or finding the winding Owens River (what's left of it) with the sierras as a backdrop. If you had up Bishop Creek Road, both South Lake and North Lake are jumping off points for hikes that put you in the Sierra backcountry within a few miles...you can day hike and have your mind blown. If you have a long weekend driver or Sherman Grade and head up towards Mono Lake and Bodie.

Fall colors in that area can be spectacular, it's usually mid Sep to mid Oct, there's a website that tracks it if you look.

The other side of the valley is Bristlecone Pine Forest (it's a trek on the car, don't need 4 wheel drive but it is a dirt road and you want to make sure your car isn't a Prius and is reliable). If you head out to Death Valley (suggestion...wait until November), sunrise on the dunes is a sight to behold.

Head out to Palm Springs, sunrise with the windmills is awesome. I think you can drive on a road through the windmills. Indian something or other road and the 10, just off the road...great spot to silhouette windmills.

Pioneer Town is cool. Kelso Dunes (haven't been...in Mojave...again...I would suggest fall/winter on that one!).

Basically the southwest is a landscape photographers dream. Southern Utah, Grand Canyon, and the country in between (Page, etc.) is also spectacular.

Great tips! I'll have to try some of these out. I've been wanting to shoot Joshua Tree. I haven't been there since I got in to photography but I'll never forget just how... untouched the land feels out there. I've never seen so many stars in my life.

I struggle with Joshua Tree. Rocks and sky. Mix in a tree...and anothe tree...  I tend to be minimalistic when I go there. 

If you think Joshua tree has a lot of stars you are going to shit yourself if you go to Alabama hills or bristlecone pine forest during a new moon. Seeing the Milky Way, in person....takes a person who's better with words than I am to describe. 

36 minutes ago, red321 said:

I struggle with Joshua Tree. Rocks and sky. Mix in a tree...and anothe tree...  I tend to be minimalistic when I go there. 

If you think Joshua tree has a lot of stars you are going to shit yourself if you go to Alabama hills or bristlecone pine forest during a new moon. Seeing the Milky Way, in person....takes a person who's better with words than I am to describe. 

Wow, really? I don't get too far out of the OC/LA area too often so Joshua Tree is enough to blow me away. I actually didn't expect to see the milky way in person, but to pull it out of the pictures.

I really dig minimalism. I think that's generally a good rule to follow in all sorts of art/design. In landscape I think it tends to be tough to be minimalistic because there is often so much going on.

13 hours ago, red321 said:

Black Hills in South Dakota.  I understand why people in the past think the Gods lives there. 

@AngelsLakersFan As a lifelong city boy, it just blew my mind that there could be that many stars. 

On 7/27/2017 at 8:33 AM, Thomas said:

Guess I'll use this thread to pimp my friend and former coworker's work.  This state seems literally made for outdoor photography.

The name is familiar, have you posted his work before? Some good stuff there...though it's not really coming through in HD. Does he post stuff to Vimeo?

Just now, red321 said:

The name is familiar, have you posted his work before? Some good stuff there...though it's not really coming through in HD. Does he post stuff to Vimeo?

I don't think I have before.

Kinda of...my brother in law is getting married, during the eclipse, and asked me to marry them (that's right...just call me Reverend Red). Which kind of sucks because 1) hotels are a fuckin' joke and required non refundable deposits 2) see point 1 3) Oregon papers are suggesting people treat this like a natural disaster and have 3 days of supplies on hands 4) they expect millions of people in an area designed to support a few thousand 5) If I'm going to spend that much money and deal with the apocalypse I'd rather photograph the eclipse

I'll also add in...50/50 chance the coast is fogged in during that time of year