• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Lock up Andrelton Simmons

Chuck

All time Gold Glove SS -- OZZIE SMITH own the NL award 1980 -1992.

In the AL -- It was OMAR VIZQUEL of Cleveland -- he won his first with Seattle in 1993 and owned the award with Cleveland through 2001. He won two more in the NL with the SF Giants in 2005, 2006. He was fabulous -- not the acclaim that the Wizard of OZ got but very much his equal on D , IMO.

Luis Aparicio owned the Award (back when I think there might have been only one in MLB not one in each league) Aparacio of the Chicago White Sox and Baltimore O's won the award 1958-1962, '64, '66, '68, '70 -- NINE in that span.

Mark Belanger of the Baltimore O's  1969, 1971, 1973-1978

trivia answer below:

Jim Fregosi 1967 (only won ONE -- Luis Aparacio and then Mark Belanger pretty much owned the AL award during Fregosi's time).

Orlando Cabrera 2007  (broke Jeter's streak of 3 - many thought that would not happen -- that between Jeter being Jeter and the gold gloves being handed out to the 'guy who wins it every year' that O-Cab wouldn't get the votes -- his year on D with the Halos was so stellar -- he could not be denied).

Erick Aybar , 2011  (I would not place Aybar in the same league with some of the top D SS's over the years - but he was a steady presence on D at SS for the Angels for a number of years).

My favorite - soon to be displaced by a guy named Andrelton Simmons, GARY DiSARCINA ( Gold Gloves won - ZERO; but DiSar was a guy, who for whatever reason and the stats (like OPS and such) don't bear this out (perhaps WAR - hard to say) but the team just seemed to win when he was in the line up versus when he wasn't.

Fourth Angels SS gold glove winner 2017-2020 - Andrelton Simmons.........but if in Vegas, you might want to list Lindor as the odds on favorite.

9 hours ago, arch stanton said:

You can see the difference in his approach. Last year he looked like he wanted to try to go the other way and slap the ball around. This year he looks like he just wants to get a good hack

Sometimes I think he over swings too often. Makes him too susceptible to off-speed stuff.

But I cant argue with the success he is having right now.

On 7/25/2017 at 8:43 PM, CALZONE said:

I think Arte is going to have to wait it out and see what Trout wants to do. We all know that MLB money for Trout won't be an issue. He can get that from a number of teams. Locking up Trout right now may not even be an option. His mentor hit the FA market so there's that. 

But his mentor also pestered st louis to extend him for years before hitting FA.

3 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

But his mentor also pestered st louis to extend him for years before hitting FA.

But his mentor was asking for way too much money and years. I think St. louis made a great decision not to do that. Mentor says go for the money and I think that's what Trout will do.

No need to worry about Simmons for a year.   Although if they wait until after the 2018 season, the Machado and Harper contracts might force a bigger contract than anticipated for Simmons.   As it is, having the 6th highest WAR in MLB, while being only 27, makes him very valuable. 

5 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

No need to worry about Simmons for a year.   Although if they wait until after the 2018 season, the Machado and Harper contracts might force a bigger contract than anticipated for Simmons.   As it is, having the 6th highest WAR in MLB, while being only 27, makes him very valuable. 

but he's not a All-Star

:crying-fountain: