• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

Gameday Thread: Angels vs. Indians (7/25/17) - Cowart playing 2B, batting 9th

Chuck

The thing is, normal people like us cant imagine walking away from several million. But poor people in 3rd world countries cant imagine "rich people" like us quitting our jobs either for the money we make.

I dont know pujols, at all. Ive been introduced a few times, but nothing beyond that. But one thing ive seen time and time again, is that these guys are far more self aware than we realize. The younger guys not so much, especially if theyre good. But they definetely get worked up when message boards like this, reporters, twitter trolls etc call them out. The better guys "get back" at the comments by performing better....the guys who are done, not so much.

Its one thing for someone whos able to slip into the shadows (like a GMJ) to suck up the money for 2-3 years and get out. Its another for a legend like pujols, where hes got a constant spotlight not just from angel fans, but mlb fans as a whole, mocking him.

well, perhaps MLB can allow designated runners like DH's -- so when a guy like Pujols gets on base -- you can have a speedster guy like Dyson (formerly of KC their championship season and now with Seattle, I think) run for him like old guy softball beer leagues.........

even with that, Pujols would still probably be among the league leaders in GIDP category.........

it was difficult to watch that Pujols AB in the ninth inning tonight..........

4 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

The thing is, normal people like us cant imagine walking away from several million. But poor people in 3rd world countries cant imagine "rich people" like us quitting our jobs either for the money we make.

I dont know pujols, at all. Ive been introduced a few times, but nothing beyond that. But one thing ive seen time and time again, is that these guys are far more self aware than we realize. The younger guys not so much, especially if theyre good. But they definetely get worked up when message boards like this, reporters, twitter trolls etc call them out. The better guys "get back" at the comments by performing better....the guys who are done, not so much.

Its one thing for someone whos able to slip into the shadows (like a GMJ) to suck up the money for 2-3 years and get out. Its another for a legend like pujols, where hes got a constant spotlight not just from angel fans, but mlb fans as a whole, mocking him.

But it's not several million ! Dude we're talking about like 100 million or near it.  That's generational money.  Albert knows what that money means to his family.  He'd be out of his fucking mind to walk.  

Maybe in the last year or something, but there's no way he's quitting in the next 2 or 3 seasons. 

31 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

But it's not several million ! Dude we're talking about like 100 million or near it.  That's generational money.  Albert knows what that money means to his family.  He'd be out of his fucking mind to walk.  

Maybe in the last year or something, but there's no way he's quitting in the next 2 or 3 seasons. 

Very true. But again, its money you and i dont understand. And i wouldnt be suprised if some sort of under the table envelope between he and arte was exchanged.

Look at Kobe for example. He absolutely could have gotten another deal. And he was still a hell of a lot better than pujols currently. Its not always about the money.

Again, 100 mill to us is insane. For a guy like pujols, who has made over 200 already (just in payroll), its different. Imagine his contract ended this year. Do you think at his age, his shape, skill level etc he would sign a 4 year 90 mill (taxed at close to 50 percent) to be stuck on a losing team and laughed at? Who knows, maybe he would. I just seriously think its going to get to the point where the laughter and the time on the road becomes louder than the paycheck.

4 minutes ago, AngelArcher said:

He's not giving up a single cent. If he does walk early, it'll be with deferred money or an under the table sort of payout. 

And thats what im getting at. Arte hands him an envelope under the table....he gives him half cash (or similar) which is what hed make after taxes. The PR team gets to write it as hes doing the right thing.

9 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

And thats what im getting at. Arte hands him an envelope under the table....he gives him half cash (or similar) which is what hed make after taxes. The PR team gets to write it as hes doing the right thing.

A lot of risk for both Arte and Albert with this.  On account of this sort of thing being pretty illegal. 

59 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Very true. But again, its money you and i dont understand. And i wouldnt be suprised if some sort of under the table envelope between he and arte was exchanged.

Look at Kobe for example. He absolutely could have gotten another deal. And he was still a hell of a lot better than pujols currently. Its not always about the money.

Again, 100 mill to us is insane. For a guy like pujols, who has made over 200 already (just in payroll), its different. Imagine his contract ended this year. Do you think at his age, his shape, skill level etc he would sign a 4 year 90 mill (taxed at close to 50 percent) to be stuck on a losing team and laughed at? Who knows, maybe he would. I just seriously think its going to get to the point where the laughter and the time on the road becomes louder than the paycheck.

David Ortiz could've easily got a contract this season. He could still hit with authority.

The comeback was great.   But we should have figured that as solid as the Halos pen is, the Indians have a ridiculous pen.   Everyone seems to have an ERA between 1.59 and 3.30 in their pen.   

That is one of the main reasons I can see them still beating out the Astros in October, and getting back to the WS.   They do need for Kipnis to get healthy and for someone to step up in the 4th rotation spot.

9 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

I honestly wouldnt be shocked if this winter he announces 2018 as his retirement tour. Try and cover up his fade with a feel good story.

If not, barring some miracle where he comes back strong next year, i dont see him playing in 2019. Odds are heavy hes worse next year. I dont think his pride lets him become a stoey in of itself of how bad hes become.

We can say all we want "he wont leave the money". But i guarantee its not fun for him to suck this badly in public, with guys half his age surrounding him (who are more into poon than the good book, like him). 

Like ALF said, getting to 3000 is no sure thing at this point. I thought that would be the magic number.once he gets doen to hitting .2-teens with no power, i think "money isnt everything" gets more and more clear.

I don't agree with any of this. He will stay around to get every last penny. It probably means he will suck and suck and suck until the Angels release him. But he is not retiring and leaving one American penny on the table.

10 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

is that these guys are far more self aware than we realize.

I 100% disagree with this.  There is nothing in the quotes I've heard from the time he has been here that would lend credence to "self awareness".

When he is sucking, the reply is "check my stats at the end of the season, mang" - a self aware athlete might discuss his current strengths or weaknesses.

Hell, he is practically 40, looks 70, plays like shit, and the Angels beat writer who covers the team is scared shitless to discuss retirement with him, because he is afraid Pujols will blow up.

Self aware is the last thing I'd call him.

14 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

I 100% disagree with this.  There is nothing in the quotes I've heard from the time he has been here that would lend credence to "self awareness".

When he is sucking, the reply is "check my stats at the end of the season, mang" - a self aware athlete might discuss his current strengths or weaknesses.

Hell, he is practically 40, looks 70, plays like shit, and the Angels beat writer who covers the team is scared shitless to discuss retirement with him, because he is afraid Pujols will blow up.

He's not scared shitless to ask the question, he doesn't ask the question because he knows the answer.  He's said that on here.

Granted I don't read many articles but when was the last time he said something along the lines of, "look at my numbers at the end of the year"?  Two, three years ago?  When he was still a productive player.  If anything we've heard almost no quotes from him lately because he hasn't been relevant this season or last.  

11 hours ago, Taylor said:

Scioscia spends 10 minutes setting up the 5-man infield, and then Encarnacion easily homers on one pitch in less than a second.

The funny thing is, after the game he said the 5-man infield made him nervous and he wanted to get a really good swing and put the ball up in the air. Or something like that. I'm just recalling what I read last night.

Edited by fan_since79

44 minutes ago, yk9001 said:

Theres a difference in what we tell the public vs what we tell ourselves and the people around us. Its the same as the fact that if anyone here ran into pujols in person, our demeanor would be totally different than what we can say on here, with our fake names.

Again, i dont at all claim to know pujols and what goes on inside his head. But i know other people. And i can tell you the facade in public is totally different when they arent worried about sound bites. Just as lot of celebrities are assholes away from the camera, most of them are fragile when it comes to being critiqued. They pretend not to care what fans and radio talk show hosts say about them...but theyre usually aware of what was said the day its said. Regardless of their public statements of "i dont read any of that stuff".

Ive mentioned it on here before. Theres a reason ive remained annonymous on here. I can promise everyone reading this that certain players and people affiliated with this team read these boards almost as often as we do. Those are the guys who have a fraction of the spotlight pujols has. The more and more he becomes a story line of how bad hes become, the more and more he gets tired of being the punchline.

He can obviously stick around. If he was still even last years version, i could see it a lot more. But hes not just bad, hes getting embarrassed. Daily. Hes surrounded by guys half his age that he doesnt really relate to. He could stick around for the money. But most of us wouldnt. If youre financially set, youre not having fun, and people are laughing at you....