• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium Member today for an ad-free experience. 

IGNORED

How much trade value does Carlos Perez have?

Chuck

I'm not sure if any of you know, but he's been incredible in Triple-A this season. 

As of today he's slashing: .390/.463/.552 (1.015 OPS) with 25 walks vs. just 26 strikeouts. 

Just 26 years old and considered a good defender, do you think he has any value in a trade if packaged with something better to land a good get?

11 minutes ago, AngelArcher said:

Seriously find a new AAA affiliate Angels. You're not doing the hitters any favors by playing in a park that's no where near similar to Angel stadium. 

He's slashing .377/.471/.507 in away games.

I don't know if it's smart to run Maldonado into the ground this year. 

While I would be open to trading Perez he realistically is the future of this team at the catcher position. Obviously things can change but Maldonado only has I believe one more year left before he hits FA, and Ward sucks.

42 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

He's slashing .377/.471/.507 in away games.

That's besides the point. It's a hitter's league so not surprising. The thought is that playing 1/2 your games in a park that's similar to Angel stadium, hitters may form habits that might translate better in the bigs. 

I've said previously that if the Angels are trading him the Rockies seem to be a good destination.

Also there were rumors that the Rays were shopping Rene Rivera which either means they have another trade pending for a catcher (the Angels and Perez?) or want to promote internally.

i still believe in carlos perez's bat. i thought he'd be good before, and i still do. i can definitely see him sticking at the ML level with a nice bat for a fine defensive catcher. i wouldn't be against trading him if he helped bring us some needed value.

6 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I'm not sure if any of you know, but he's been incredible in Triple-A this season. 

As of today he's slashing: .390/.463/.552 (1.015 OPS) with 25 walks vs. just 26 strikeouts. 

Just 26 years old and considered a good defender, do you think he has any value in a trade if packaged with something better to land a good get?

At this stage with him playing most of the season in AAA (which shows a lack of faith by the Angels in Perez and rightfully so after last season) the answer is not too much value, perhaps he would return a AA reliever type at this moment in time. I do agree that if he was part of a larger package he would add value to another team, particularly a cost-conscious team like the Rays (they have been rumored to be shopping Rene Rivera who is in his last season to the Cubs) or even the Rockies (who need a veteran catcher to pair with Tony Wolters) or any other smaller market team for that matter.

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I don't know if it's smart to run Maldonado into the ground this year

While I would be open to trading Perez he realistically is the future of this team at the catcher position. Obviously things can change but Maldonado only has I believe one more year left before he hits FA, and Ward sucks.

I think Scioscia and Eppler really love Maldonado. In fact I think they like him so much they will extend him in the off-season for another 2-3 years minimum if he is willing. It seems clear they want him in that full-time role (120+ games per year). All they need is a left-handed hitting backup catcher that can play at least average defense to back him up. Or, alternatively, there are some free agent catchers that might appeal to Eppler this off-season too.

Perez has one more year at League minimum salary and then three more arbitration seasons. Realistically he will probably make about $620K in 2018, $1.7M in 2019, $4.5M in 2020, and about $7.5M in 2021, assuming he produces through those controllable seasons (which is quite possible if he can get back to his 2015 production).

Eppler has options here methinks.

not much at deadline time but could be part of an off-season trade package for a rotation guy.

I always liked him -- I tend to discount SLC BA and offensive numbers -- and AAA in general.

But he's a good defensive catcher -- we got Maldonado who has proven to be stellar behind the plate for us.

12 hours ago, ettin said:

At this stage with him playing most of the season in AAA (which shows a lack of faith by the Angels in Perez and rightfully so after last season) the answer is not too much value, perhaps he would return a AA reliever type at this moment in time. I do agree that if he was part of a larger package he would add value to another team, particularly a cost-conscious team like the Rays (they have been rumored to be shopping Rene Rivera who is in his last season to the Cubs) or even the Rockies (who need a veteran catcher to pair with Tony Wolters) or any other smaller market team for that matter.

I think Scioscia and Eppler really love Maldonado. In fact I think they like him so much they will extend him in the off-season for another 2-3 years minimum if he is willing. It seems clear they want him in that full-time role (120+ games per year). All they need is a left-handed hitting backup catcher that can play at least average defense to back him up. Or, alternatively, there are some free agent catchers that might appeal to Eppler this off-season too.

Perez has one more year at League minimum salary and then three more arbitration seasons. Realistically he will probably make about $620K in 2018, $1.7M in 2019, $4.5M in 2020, and about $7.5M in 2021, assuming he produces through those controllable seasons (which is quite possible if he can get back to his 2015 production).

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2017/07/rockies-trade-rumors-jonathan-lucroy-rangers.html

16 hours ago, ettin said:

Where do you guys get these salary #'s? You've got to produce across more than a partial season and do it in the Majors not the Minors..... He's decent.... But, come on 620K to 4.5M in year 3........? He would have to put up 150 games per season and start driving the ball like Piazza!

4 minutes ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Where do you guys get these salary #'s? You've got to produce across more than a partial season and do it in the Majors not the Minors..... He's decent.... But, come on 620K to 4.5M in year 3........? He would have to put up 150 games per season and start driving the ball like Piazza!

If he is playing full time he could go from $1.7M to $4.5M. These are my own personal projections/guesses Slappy. That could be too high considering he's a catcher I just pulled it from a spreadsheet I keep on players values so take it with a big grain of salt.

That number comes from him playing productively, full-time over the next four seasons of his control. If he plays less or doesn't perform well then obviously he will not get nearly that much.